Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

DH says he hates all girls names ending in -a

(90 Posts)
CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:27:35

Apart from Sarah. Which ends in an "h".

Damn, our tastes do not converge. I started a thread a while ago - Claudia Vivienne or Cecilia Maud - and he thinks both are poncy.

So I suggested Louisa - but he only likes Louise. He also suggested Jane and Alice (Alice is okay).

How can this be a sensible stance? Most girls names end in -a, including mine.

Sorry for posting here - the baby names topic is covered in football spam. I'll move the thread when all the spam is gone.

Dawndonna Sun 03-Mar-13 12:07:12

Personally I can't believe you are considering Maud or Hilda, poor, poor child.
Having said that, I'm older (54) so they definitely mean old granny names to me.
How about:
Isabelle.
Rhiannon.
Nicole.
Lily.
Ruth.
Cecille.

AllThreeWays Sun 03-Mar-13 12:08:11

What about Eloise?

Meggymoodle Sun 03-Mar-13 12:11:37

We have a Henry too and a Megan, which I think goes nicely together (obviously).

Honor is a nice name too and Phyllis (although I have had to be content with calling DD's doll Phyllis as i wasn't allowed to call DD it!).

Still18atheart Sun 03-Mar-13 12:12:52

Catherine
Katie
Molly
Rosie
Nicole
Kimberley
Chloe
Grace
Caroline
Lilly
Lauren

AThingInYourLife Sun 03-Mar-13 12:17:48

Julia (I know it ends in -a, but he can't prefer Julie, surely?)

Katherine

Sally (nn for Sarah)

scarletforya Sun 03-Mar-13 12:39:09

Don't use Hilda, Maud or Mildred, they're dreadful. they're not granny chic, they're just hickey and ugly. Mildred reminds me of Mildew. Mairead is not good either, it's too middle aged for a little baby, it sound nice to non Irish ears but here it's the equivalent of calling your baby Pauline or Sandra.

I love Claudia and Vivienne from your selection though. Both very feminine.

mrsjay Sun 03-Mar-13 12:42:07

Iback think Julie is 'back' yet IYSWIM

Startail Sun 03-Mar-13 12:42:44

I agree with your DH about extra a's that just make perfectly complete names flowery.

I prefer Isabel, Julie, Louise etc and Alice to Alison, Laura to Lauren. Generally, why make it longer to fit on forms.

The one exception being Helena, because Helen is so dull.
It's a Mum name, like Claire, Rachel, Susan, Caroline and Jane. It's not time for it yet.

milk Sun 03-Mar-13 13:14:24

Henry and Emily smile

FadingAwayToAHippo Sun 03-Mar-13 13:38:02

I have an Elizabeth shortened to Lizzie but the great thing is all the variants,

Eliza
Liza
Beth
Betsy
Libby
Lizzie
Liz
Betty
Elsie

I'm sure there are more, and it goes great with Henry, very regal sounding!

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 15:12:24

I love Thomas the Tank Engine!

That's the only thing about Elizabeth, people will think we're obsessed with the Tudors.

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 15:13:44

Which I am, a bit.

Waswondering Sun 03-Mar-13 15:17:23

Elise, Heather, Daisy, Phoebe, Margaret, Katherine, Joy .....

I have one of the names scarlet mentioned and it is definitely an old lady name. I am 25. I have never met anyone even close to my age with it despite it being a very common name (amongst the over 50's) so I suppose if you want to make sure your child will be the only one in the school with her name you could look at the most popular girls names from 40-50 years ago and give her one of those grin

Sounds like your DH has similar taste in name to mine. Our boys have very traditional names (old women always say "oh that's a good strong name" whatever that means), they're also really common names as DH said they had to be in the top 100. We only managed to agree on one girls name and that was Emily (never used it as we had boys).

TomDudgeon Sun 03-Mar-13 16:11:07

I don't get the not liking names that end in a bit being ok with a silent h

Is he better with names that can't be a name in short
Like your example of Hilda (which is horrible)
Mia Jessica Vera etc

Or is it all 'a' sounding names (except Sarah)

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 16:51:49

I think he doesn't like names that can be extended with an -a. So he likes Louise but not Louisa. Whereas I find it much harder to say Louise - it feels as though it needs an -a and is incomplete.

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 16:52:38

Also, he just thinks Claudia is poncy. I had made the point that there is no Claudie.

emsyj Sun 03-Mar-13 17:00:47

Claudia was on our list. We have ended up with a Ruth and a Hazel, so no 'a' endings here! grin

I love Celeste and Celestine, but they clash with our surname. We had Astrid as the next choice on our list, also liked Seren but it's popular round here and we wanted to try and avoid the '4 others with the same name in your class thing' as I hated being one of so many Emmas at school.

Imogen is lovely too. There are tons and tons of non-'a' girls' names!

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 17:31:39

emsyj - I think he would like Emma (doesnt have an -a added to an established name). No way is Celestine / Celeste getting approval!

woollywomble Sun 03-Mar-13 17:32:09

I'm a Louisa and have always been glad of the extra -a, if that helps your cause!

PrincessOfThemyscira Sun 03-Mar-13 17:40:37

What about Laura? It's like Hilda in that the "a" needs to be there to make the name, IYSWIM.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 03-Mar-13 17:41:33

Presumably he wasn't phobic about -a when he met and began dating you.

If you did go with a tudor theme how about Catherine or Katharine or Margaret?

Tons of very nice names that don't end in -a so I'm sure you'll find something, Vivienne that you mentioned is not twee or precious?

SayMama Sun 03-Mar-13 17:46:29

Faye?

KatieMiddleton Sun 03-Mar-13 17:50:43

Leah is an excellent name if you need something with an 'h' on the end.

No to Hilda. Henry and Hilda sounds wrong. Hilda sounds wrong on it's own unless your surname's Ogden grin

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 17:54:10

I haven't had my 20 week scan so it is possible that DC2 will be a boy. However, my names discussion with DH has stressed me out (I like to plan ahead) so thanks for all your comments everyone!

I really like Lara but it sounds a bit funny with our surname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now