DH says he hates all girls names ending in -a

(90 Posts)
CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:27:35

Apart from Sarah. Which ends in an "h".

Damn, our tastes do not converge. I started a thread a while ago - Claudia Vivienne or Cecilia Maud - and he thinks both are poncy.

So I suggested Louisa - but he only likes Louise. He also suggested Jane and Alice (Alice is okay).

How can this be a sensible stance? Most girls names end in -a, including mine.

Sorry for posting here - the baby names topic is covered in football spam. I'll move the thread when all the spam is gone.

CheddarGorgeous Sun 03-Mar-13 10:32:44

Louise is lovely.

I always think names ending in -ette are lovely and feminine without being too flowery.

Juliette
Claudette
Georgette
Harriet

I agree with him (on your current choices)

I don't not like the names per se, but unless they are after someone they sound so try-hard. However I'm not a fan of Louisa or Louise!

Just my opinion of course!

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:46:56

I love Harriet but we have a Henry already so that might be a bit odd. I suppose with names like Louise, I just feel they are missing an -a. Same with Helen.

Notquite Sun 03-Mar-13 10:49:27

Could you get away with Eleanor?

outtolunchagain Sun 03-Mar-13 10:50:08

What about Eleanor , not an overt 'a' but still a soft sound at the end.

outtolunchagain Sun 03-Mar-13 10:50:47

Notquite , great minds and all that!

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:50:53

Eleanor is a nice name. I would shorten it to Nell.

SecretNutellaFix Sun 03-Mar-13 10:51:16

Cecily is a nice variant if he loathed names ending in A.

Natalie
Marianne
Rachel
Ruth
Juliet
Sophie
Verity
Phoebe
Annabel
Chloe
Suzanne
Elisabeth

CheddarGorgeous Sun 03-Mar-13 10:53:15

Henry and...

Cicely?
Charlotte?
Claudine?
Florence?

So basically he likes plain, simple, no-frills names and, by the sound of things, more timeless/modern names rather than the grandparent chic that's quite in at the moment, while you like quite feminine names. That doesn't mean you can't find some middle ground (Alice is a good start).

What about something like

Sophie
Rose
Grace
Evelyn
Eleanor
Isabel
Catherine?

Or, at least, what Does he think of those sorts of names?

I think yours might be a case where each of you going through a baby names book and making a list of all the names that you might be prepared to vaguely consider, then comparing lists, might be a good idea. You may fibd you end up with four or five names in common.

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:55:46

I like Elizabeth a lot, shortened to Lizzie.

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:57:01

That is a good idea Tolliver.

Cailleach Sun 03-Mar-13 11:01:52

Muiread (Murr-aid) is my Irish granny's name: when she came to England in the 1940's she went by Maud, as no-one knew how to pronounce Muiread over here.

It means "pearl" in Gaelic.

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 11:15:47

Cailleach - both are lovely but I don't think he'll go for anything Gallic. He said Claudia was Italian (it's bloody Roman - weeps).

Last night I suggested Hilda (there is an -a but it is required for the name to be a name) and he said it was too unusual.

tallulah Sun 03-Mar-13 11:27:40

I went to write out some party invitations for DD and realised that of the 21 girls in her class, only 4 have a name that doesn't end in -a, so he might have a point grin

Dandy902 Sun 03-Mar-13 11:28:34

How about names that end with bel/belle??

Annabelle
Mirabel
Isabel/Isobel
Arrabelle
Clarabelle
Mabel
Rosabel
Christabel
Belle

Or ending in n/ne

Alison
Eden
Teagan
Adeline
Lillian
Kirsten
Avalene
Jasmine
Caitlyn
Evelyn
Yvonne
Erin
Madeline
Imogen
Nadine
Josephine
Celine
Seren
Ellen
Christine/Kristine

Anything ending in Lin/Lyn or Ann/Anne

Or ending in Y/IE or Eeee sound

Sophie
Emily
Zoe
Lucy
Mollie
Betty
Dorothy
Nancy
Marjorie

Or ending in with T sound

Scarlett
Charlotte
Colette
Violet
Bridget
Odette
Millicent
Celeste
Kate
Garnet
Margaret

And some others:

Grace
Brooke
Mildred
Blanche
Ruth
Myrtle
Esther
Faith
Paige
Amber

mrsjay Sun 03-Mar-13 11:31:08

That is a huge list dandy grin

Dh was the same I wanted to call DD2 either Helena or Anna he gave me this hmm was really annoying . her name ends with an H so he thought that was better how ?

mrsjay Sun 03-Mar-13 11:32:24

Oh please dont call your baby Hilda

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 11:37:35

What about Hannah? It would mean we had two kids whose names begin with H, that's the thing.

mrsjay Sun 03-Mar-13 11:39:45

I have a Hannah so im biased smile I am not sure why dh liked Hannah and not Anna though they sound exactly the same,. same letter names can flow better when you shout at them grin

CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 11:44:23

Good point mrsjay.

mrsjay Sun 03-Mar-13 11:47:46

I know a few children who have same letter first names I dont think it sounds odd,

MammaTJ Sun 03-Mar-13 11:57:10

My DD1 is called Gemma, my DD2 is called Tia. Her middle name is Louise though, which means Battle maiden. grin

skratta Sun 03-Mar-13 11:59:47

Susannah?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now