How would you pronounce Shion? Boy or girl? What country do you think it's from?

(31 Posts)
TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 09:08:56

I know the answers btw grin

DH is very keen on Shion for DC2, just wanted to get some opinions from people not familiar with his culture.

Ruprekt Sat 02-Feb-13 09:10:35

Shy-onn

Egypt

IDontDoIroning Sat 02-Feb-13 09:12:05

It it welsh? Sion is Welsh pronounced shun/ shawn so I would guess its similar

sleepyhead Sat 02-Feb-13 09:15:01

Israeli/Hebrew? I'd assume it was pronounced Shy-on I think.

I'd go with SHY-en, boy, Israel.

Do I win?

scaevola Sat 02-Feb-13 09:18:03

I'm not sure how you say it, but I think it's Japanese (seen written before).

Shee-an?

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sat 02-Feb-13 09:19:28

Shee-on, Israeli, boy's name?

Pronounced how. It's written. Boys name and no idea where its from. What's the answer?

OlyRoller Sat 02-Feb-13 09:22:38

Shy-on. Boy. American.

NowPlayingZone Sat 02-Feb-13 09:26:46

It's a Japanese girls name meaning 'sound of the tide'.

Kinda makes me think of a tsunami!

OK, have looked it up. Am surprised.

EduCated Sat 02-Feb-13 09:59:46

I would have gone for boy, Hebrew, pr Shon.

TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 10:14:49

Interesting NowPlaying.

It's a Japanese name, pronounced shee-on. Can be either a boys or girls name (in fact we only know boys with this name) depending on which characters you choose to write it with. This would also change the meaning (we probably wouldn't choose 'sound of the tide').

DH wants to use it as a boy's name.

Thoughts? I'm concerned that it sounds neither Japanese nor like a boy's name...

TanteRose Sat 02-Feb-13 10:19:32

I too only know boys with this name (although it is used as a girls name too)

I have also seen it used with the pronunciation Shaun

I lived in Japan for 2 years and didn't guess it was a Japanese name! So I'd have to go with "No, doesn't sound Japanese."

TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 10:28:13

Would you say it's getting more popular in Japan, Tante? The people I know who've used it there have both been western with J husbands, and I can see it working. We're in the UK, though, and combined with DS1's name I reckon most people will think Hebrew/Israeli.

dappleton Sat 02-Feb-13 10:29:15

i've never known anyone with this name or anything close, I would however assume your child was a boy called Shy-on and that you were a jewish family - I don't know why I make those assumptions but that was my thinking when i read your post.

TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 10:31:00

God this baby will remain nameless FOR EVER <dramatic>

Due in in 3.5 weeks. No agreements so far...

TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 10:31:24

FOREVER, even.

emjan Sat 02-Feb-13 10:31:43

Looks like a Japanese name. I will pronounce it as She-on. Think is a boy

TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 10:33:14

Very good, emjan or did you peek?

CoteDAzur Sat 02-Feb-13 11:01:10

OP - Sorry if this will spoil the name for you but thought you might like to know that "shee-on" in French is someone who is a pain in the ass. It's written "chiant" and comes from the verb "chier" (literally, to shit).

If there is any French connection at all, or if your boy might ever spend time in France or with French people, please choose another name.

TanteRose Sat 02-Feb-13 13:15:42

Tepid its always been around (been here 20 years) - as you say, its good for international use (Shion/Sean)

there are not all that many children with the name, but it is not particularly "out there" IYSWIM

I like it smile

are you aiming for Japanese-sounding boys names?

TepidCoffee Sat 02-Feb-13 16:39:51

Cote grin. No imminent danger of that, but good to know anyway.

Tante, our older son is a Noah (also popular with the international crowd) but we can't decide which direction to take with no2. Anything too Japanese might be confusing, but we'd like something the ILs can say and would let DS2 live in either country in future without feeling too 'out there'. Well, no more out there than mixed race kids are anyway in Japan wink.

DH's suggestions are Sena, Shion or Leon, all of which I find problematic. I really like Ivan, Robin, Euan or Rowan, none of which Dh likes. We're at an impasse!

CheeseStrawWars Sat 02-Feb-13 16:44:54

Sena sounds like senna i.e. laxative, imo. Shion I would pronounce "shy-on", and would guess of Arabic origin, but 'looks' male to me.

But if I saw "Shion" written down and was told it was Japanese I'd guess at "Shone" (as in "the sun shone") for pronunciation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now