paranoid that nobody likes the names of my children

(94 Posts)
howardbear Fri 11-Jan-13 13:25:02

i had my second child 5 weeks ago and have given them a name i really love, but im beginning to get paranoid that people dont like it, nobody has been rude enough to say it to my face but ive had the line 'oh that's different/unusual' a bit (which it isnt) so im gunna put it to the test if i can and ask you to tell me what names you LOVE or HATE or even what you LIKE or DISLIKE from the lists below (the other names are friends/family)

dont know if i'd be more upset if people said they hated it or if it wasnt mentioned at all, lol!

here are the names:-

GIRLS:- sophie, kiera, ruby, elin, bethan, erin, seren, brooke, maisie, mollie, haylie, layla, jasmine.

BOYS:- joseph, flynn, jack, arthur, rhys, robbie, henry, ellis, toby, oliver, jacob, james, dylan, alfie, logan.

thanks for looking x

orangepudding Fri 11-Jan-13 16:07:32

Girls names I only like Sophie, Ruby is okay all the others I names I dislike.

Boys, I like most of them but dislike Flynn, Rhys, Alfie and Logan.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 11-Jan-13 16:10:29

Robbie and Toby are both really nice and amongst the nicest and most normal on your lists. I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

orangepudding Fri 11-Jan-13 16:12:03

Toby is a great name, was on my list but dh said no!

mumsywoo78 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:38:30

they r all nice normal names but i kinda know what your goin through i dont know if uve read previous threads of mine. im suffering severe anxiety over wheather iv gave my 3mnth old the right name even tho iv loved it 4 ages. his name is noah & i had a few bad reactions to his name which really bothered me . iv even had panic attacks over his name & thought i was goin mad! i even cannot bring myself to use his name anymore. im getting better now tho but its still a major issue for me.please dont let other ppls reactions affect u and end up like me. they r all lovely names.

mumsywoo78 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:41:33

oh & jasmine was my girls name if id have had a girl!

akaemmafrost Fri 11-Jan-13 16:43:21

Girls: not keen on Kiera. Like all the others.

Boys: not keen on Flynn, Logan or Dylan, like all the others, really like Ellis and Tobias, both were contenders for ds.

FoofFighter Fri 11-Jan-13 16:53:00

Lovely names smile

Toby is on my list.

thegreylady Fri 11-Jan-13 16:55:37

The only ones I dont like are Haylie[ mainly because the spelling is wrong] and Brooke-the others are all fine and some are lovely.
Girls my top 3 would be:Maisie Erin and Mollie
Boys ditto: Toby Arthur and Henry but I dont dislike any of them.

howardbear Fri 11-Jan-13 17:22:46

thanks for all your lovely messages, its really reassuring to know the names we picked arent universally hated, its soooooooooo hard to choose names but they kinda filled our criteria of nice normal names that arent too popular!!

mumsywoo78 Noah is a gorgeous name, that was on our shortlist, only pipped at the post by toby cos we know of 2 noah's in our area x

McKayz Fri 11-Jan-13 17:35:45

I love Toby. DS2 was almost Toby but became Dylan at the last minute.

farmersdaugther Fri 11-Jan-13 17:49:44

I love love Toby!

Robbie is also a lovely name.

Yfronts Fri 11-Jan-13 21:08:20

like - sophie, ruby, bethan, seren, brooke, maisie, mollie, jasmine.

like - joseph, flynn, jack, arthur, toby, jacob, james,

WizardofOs Fri 11-Jan-13 21:12:49

I don't hate any of them. I meet lots if new babies in my job and I swear only one name has ever made me think - WTF! Not one on your list!

MadBusLady Fri 11-Jan-13 21:17:26

Those are both lovely, strong, popular names. I'm amazed if you've had anyone disliking them. Toby in particular is great.

I would have put "Robert" on the birth cert for Robbie probably but that's just me. DP is Robert and refuses to be Robbie sad

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 11-Jan-13 21:24:21

Don't love any of the girls ones but like Jasmine and Seren, don't like Hailey or Elin.

Much prefer the boys, particularly Dylan (love), Toby and Logan. Don't like Rhys or Ellis and Alfie too common.

You're v brave doing this!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Jan-13 13:17:37

- sophie - perfectly nice
kiera - should be Ciara
ruby - dislike
elin - lovely
bethan - dislike,purely because I knew a few horrible ones growing up
erin- okay
Seren- lovely
Brooke - dislike
Maisie - hate
mollie - dislike with ie ending,
haylie - hate with ie spelling
layla - lovely
jasmine - lovely

Joseph - handsome classic name,
Flynn - really like
jack - dull
Arthur - love!
rhys - classic name,like
robbie - dislike - it's a nickname
henry - love
ellis - prefer with one L,but like it
toby - dislike
oliver - is okay
jacob - fine,classic
james - realt handsome (a version of jacob though)
dylan - like if pronounced correctly otherwise hate
alfie - dislike
logan - dislike

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Jan-13 13:19:46

*bollocks,was doing that on my phone...I don't dislike Toby. Thank you autocorrect!

VinegarDrinker Sat 12-Jan-13 13:27:31

How do you pronounce Dylan wrong?!

OP I love your boys names. I wanted a Toby but DH vetoed it. Love most of your girl shortlist too.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Jan-13 13:30:50

Pronouncing it - Dillun is wrong. It's Duhlan.

Bagofmashings Sat 12-Jan-13 13:37:02

I think it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. When DH 1st told me DSC's names I wasn't at all sure I liked them but I soon grew to absolutely love the names as they belonged to people I love, iyswim. After a while, even if people aren't that keen now, the name will just become your dd.
my DS has one of those names you either love or hate I think, the important think is I absolutely love it.

CountBapula Sat 12-Jan-13 13:37:58

Dylan Thomas pronounced it 'Dillon'. (And so does my DS grin)

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Jan-13 13:42:31

Dylan Thomas famously detested Wales,I don't think he was much bothered about pronouncing it properly.

Obviously the way it is pronounced can be affected by regional accents but generally speaking,it's not meant to be like the character from the magic round about

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VinegarDrinker Sat 12-Jan-13 13:54:47

That's interesting re Dylan. Wiki says both are fine, with "dillon" being the English pronunciation. I guess like many other names it has been Anglicised in pronunciation if not spelling (though I have seen it spelled Dillon).

FelicityWasSanta Sat 12-Jan-13 13:56:05

Both lovely normal, conventional names IMO. Stop worrying and enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now