Kitiana as a full name for kitty?? Opinions please:))

(103 Posts)
Queenie68 Sat 29-Dec-12 22:26:25

Hi, this is my first posting on mums net. I'm 30 wks pregnant with dc5. We have decided on a boys name but really struggling with girls names. I love
Kitty
Honey
Bella
Willow
I have 4 sons so may well use all of above if dc5 turns out to be a girl!!
Please give me your opinions. I love the name Kitty & was thinking of kitiana to go on birth certificate??

moreyear Sun 30-Dec-12 00:05:38

I have a Kitty (just Kitty it isn't short for anything) people always seem to love her name. I have never admitted it on mumsnet though as it is a dreaded 'K' name ;).

NorksAreTinselly Sun 30-Dec-12 00:07:14

Willow is fab (unless her genetic material tends toward the ahem stocky)
Prefer India to Indiana
Kitty is cute but you might want to give her an option for those high-court-judge situations that people worry about.
Cytherea is a bonkers long form for Kitty if you want something VERY unusual.
Not so fond of Kitiana, but Kititita? Nope, still a bit bonkers.

I teach LOADS of Bella's and Ava/Eva/Ada/Evies

scripsi Sun 30-Dec-12 00:09:08

I was at school with a girl called Catriona who we all (still) call Kitty?

BitBewilderedChristmasTree Sun 30-Dec-12 00:13:17

I know a Kitty whose full name is Nikita. I'm afraid I don't like Kitiana much and all the others are a little bandwaggon-y for me. I do love Kitty though!

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 30-Dec-12 00:16:31

Kitty - really sweet, Kitiana is awful. I think Kitty is ok as a stand alone name, although personally would want something longer on the BC. I'd go for Katherine or Kaitlin.

Honey - is a sweet nn, but awful as a given name

Bella - nice, I know a few, but not loads

Willow - is nice, but a bit slebby for me

Ava - really, really lovely, but too popular for me

Indiana - quite nice for a boy

What about Kismet?

lottiegarbanzo Sun 30-Dec-12 01:31:17

I love Kitty, I think it's really cool and am not the teensiest bit swayed by the cat connection. Nikita? Christabel and Christina are lovely and could become Kitty.

Forget Indiana. Honey isn't a real name to me, though I can see it as a middle name and it does sound, well, mellifluous.

Willow is fine, Ava very nice but increasingly popular, Bella is half the children and half the dogs in my local park, unfortunately, just too popular, on its own or as Isabella.

KitchenandJumble Sun 30-Dec-12 02:02:30

Kitty is a lovely nickname, but I don't like Kitiana at all. Nikita is an interesting suggestion, but I can't see it as anything but a man's name. If you don't like Katherine, what about Caitlin?

As for the other names on your list, I really dislike Honey as a given name (or even as a nickname, to be honest). Ava is a nice name but very, very popular. Bella is O.K. Indiana would be an odd name for a child in the UK (which I presume you are). I like Willow the best of the names on your list.

Queenie68 Sun 30-Dec-12 11:44:15

Thank you so much for all your opinions. In reply to breatheslowly yes I confess I did kinda make up kitiana as I was trying to find a more formal version to kitty & I'm not very keen on the Katherine/ Katarina suggestions. I doubt she would ever end up a barrister/high court judge with our genes .... But you never know ;)) also for the record, Honey was always going to be a mn. Omg.... Decisions decisions.... Such a big thing & so hard to decide with pregnancy hormones confusing the issue & not being able to sleep!!

All names are made up. Some less recently than others, is all.

exexpat Sun 30-Dec-12 13:22:25

Kitiana sounds like it has been made up for a cartoon version of a princess story starring Hello Kitty.

I'd stick with Kitty as a nickname for something more formal - Katarina, Catrina etc are nice if you don't like plain Catherine.

countrykitten Sun 30-Dec-12 13:23:09

Good God Kitiana is AWFUL!! It's what I would expect someone like Jordan to name their child. Tbh all of your choices sound like cat/little dog names so I would get back to the drawing board!

Katherine is a beautiful name - very classy indeed.

Notquite Sun 30-Dec-12 13:29:13

Has anyone suggested Christina? Christopher can be abbreviated to Kit.

Notquite Sun 30-Dec-12 13:36:43

Being called Cherie doesn't seem to be a barrier to a legal career, so I don't see why Kitty would be a problem.

snowtunesgirl Sun 30-Dec-12 13:37:28

Sorry, I agree with others, Kitiana is dreadful. Kitty is ok but I do think that Kitty, Honey, Bella, Willow kind of sound like cat names but in a nice way!

What about just India?

ArkadyRose Sun 30-Dec-12 13:42:38

With Kitiana you might get some people thinking you're a fan of fantasy novels; it's very similar to Kitiara, the name of a character in the Dragonlance Chronicles series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. Which is fine if you're into fantasy - when the LOTR films came out there were a lot of baby girls being named Arwen, Eowyn & Galadriel, and I've encountered a little boy called Aragorn - but if you're not, then it seems a bit pointless.

hellymelly Sun 30-Dec-12 13:43:52

Willow is lovely, but only on tall willowy children, not on a sturdier or solid child. Kitiana sounds too Disney I think, and personally I hate nns used as full names, Could you not call her Kitty which is very pretty, but give her a "proper" name on her birth certificate, as others have suggested? Indiana would be pretty unfortunate if she wanted to marry a Mr Jones.

hellymelly Sun 30-Dec-12 13:44:28

Although they could then call their house "the Temple of Doom" which has a certain ring to it....grin

Viviennemary Sun 30-Dec-12 13:46:09

I don't like Kitiana. It sounds false and affected. As a short form Kitty is OK I suppose. Willow is too unusual for me but I like it just the same. Not keen on Honey or Bella.

hiviolet Sun 30-Dec-12 13:48:31

Oh no, Kitiana is horrible. And made up, surely? Looks like Kitty and Anna smushed together.

strumpetpumpkin Sun 30-Dec-12 13:57:45

i have a friend who's daughter is kitana. its nice enough

overthemill Sun 30-Dec-12 14:03:12

remember that her 'long' name will be the one the teachers use at school. my dd is humiliated on a daily basis by my choice of her 'official' name. she hates it and we all only ever use her shortened name and i kind of wish we hadn't bothered! but i still love her official name (from shakespeare...)

i reckon kitiana holds endless humiliation possiblities as do many of the other suggestions! kids can be very cruel

Dd1's nickname is kitten (but could be Kitty) as it was how ds pronounced her actual name when she was born (he was only 14m). I wont put her actual name on thread as it is VERY unusual (it doesnt appear in any name stats in uk- as far as I know there is only one of her here and isnt really googlable but is actually a foreign, but much prettier, version of Katherine from dh's paternal country) and will most probably out me to anyone who knows me but I will pm it to you instead and to anyone else who is particularly nosey and looking for a girls name grin

ItsIgginningToLookALotLikeXmas Sun 30-Dec-12 16:48:11

Overthemill - teachers will only use the long name until asked not to! I have lots of (eg) Alexanders on my registers who have been crossed out with "Alex" in instead, the odd "AJ" etc - mostly we want kids to be called what they want to be called!

ItsaTIARA Sun 30-Dec-12 16:54:00

Kitiana, nn Kitty is the sort of thing my 8yo DD would call her cuddly cat toy.

But it's a nice nickname for Katherine/Catriona.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now