I have fallen in love with a name, what would you think if you met a child called....

(136 Posts)

Moriarty?

It's the hormones messing with your head, don't let them win!

ThinkAboutItOnBoxingDay Tue 18-Dec-12 18:43:03

That his mum hadn't consulted the wisdom of mumsnet and taken notice of it.

Good name but inevitably poncy.

KristinaM Tue 18-Dec-12 18:44:33

Wot she ^^ said

colleysmill Tue 18-Dec-12 18:49:58

My first thought is "there's a beautiful bridge Moriarty!" Followed by "negative waves Moriarty!"

Moriarty is Donald sutherlands side kick in Kelly's Heroes - one of my all time favourite films smile

It is an Irish name and would be shortened to Murray. Exp has been championing Murray for a while now and its not grabbed me but he's used his brain and appealed to the Sherlock fan in me and said Moriarty would be a good full name with Murray as a nickname.

Moriarty could be a solicitor or an something else powerful, I am quite taken with it.

Although I do agree it would suit a pet too blush

I'd think his school days would be hell. Just don't. Cruel.

I like it. I think you should go for it.

TheMonster Tue 18-Dec-12 18:53:42

No! Poor kid.

BackforGood Tue 18-Dec-12 18:54:09

I'd assume his parents were massive fans of CATS, and had let pregnancy hormones get the better of them.

StormyWeek Tue 18-Dec-12 18:59:08

But Murray is a Scottish name, and of all the brilliant Scottish names to chose from- Angus, Fraser, Callum, Cameron, Malachy, and my all time favourite, Hamish, Murray is a Deeply unsexy name. IMO.

judefawley Tue 18-Dec-12 19:04:18

I think it's a fabulous name.

But, like Tiddles, it belongs on a cat.

Flicktheswitch Tue 18-Dec-12 19:05:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VBisme Tue 18-Dec-12 19:09:39

Isn't it a surname? Moriarty is James Moriarty.....

Ra88 Tue 18-Dec-12 19:09:39

I thought ... Moron ha sorry blush

YDdraigGoch Tue 18-Dec-12 19:14:04

Apart from anything else, it's a surname.

I'm reading all your words but its just not sinking in, I am still liking Moriarty blush

Hopefully it is just a phase. I was mad on Merlin for a week, then Emerys (or however is spelt), had a Doctor Who phase when I liked River and Oswin.

Maybe I should turn the tv off blush

Will be harder this time though as exp also likes Moriarty.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 18-Dec-12 20:47:54

Are you hoping ds is evil?

Seriously though, my auntie visited a village called Chailey when she was a teen and told her brother (my dad) that one day she would call her daughter that as she loved it.... a number of years later she did. No one thinks anything of it in our family now as it's just normal - although she's nearly 40 now.

I think people get used to names after the initial shock so go with it. I've heard worse.

Should be ok as a middle name imo

GrownupGoth Tue 18-Dec-12 21:32:14

I'm from Chailey grin

Never fancied it as a name.

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Tue 18-Dec-12 21:35:23

I have a friend who gave her son Moriarty as a middle name. I kind of like it, as I like unusual names, but it's not one that I'd choose.

Like PrincessScrumpy said, I think people get used to names, and especially when child starts school they probably won't know it as a Sherlock name, it will just be your DS's name to them and they'll grow up being used to it.

Coconutty Tue 18-Dec-12 21:35:33

Please use it in preference to Murray, that's really awful.

Yama Tue 18-Dec-12 21:38:02

I love it but I would never bestow it upon a child.

Turniphead1 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:38:11

It's just sooooo 2010/11. If you'd been pregnant in the early 90s it would have been Melrose or Buffy.

Step away from the remote.

Good middle name though people will ask if you are Irish.

LaCiccolina Tue 18-Dec-12 21:42:15

That he will hate u. Dreadful choice. Anyone with half an education will say "really? Poor u!" All his life.

And short is surely Art, not Murray.

bellechristmas Tue 18-Dec-12 21:45:17

I'd think you were a big Kerouac fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now