Oooooooooh, I have just made candles with 10% oils and they really are as good as Diptyque/Jo Malone

(351 Posts)

First time I've ever made candles and I wanted really smelly ones as I like dead posh ones smile

I made Amber and Lavender (my fave Jo Malone fragrance) and Lime and Fig.

I used soy wax so environmentally friendly and no paraffin and bought tea cups from charity shops so no waste, the ones I've made are actually giant french pottery cups that I got today.

The french cups worked out at £5.40 each as none of the stuff I bought was cheap. Not cheap as chips and if you used paraffin and cheap oils you could make it a lot cheaper. But one heck of a lot cheaper than posh candles.

Dead chuffed me and my home smells lovely.

I have another 15 oils to try - guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year wink

ghostisonthecanvas Sun 07-Sep-14 23:12:03
ghostisonthecanvas Sun 07-Sep-14 23:09:16

www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/instructions_for_activity_pack_floating_candles.htm
Oh oh. Been a while since I made anything. Going to bed instead of surfing lovely things. Too easy to get carried away.

MrsWinnibago Sun 07-Sep-14 23:06:32

Thank you! I need all the tips I can get. x

ghostisonthecanvas Sun 07-Sep-14 23:01:55

I haven't RTFT.
The wick depends on the size of container . It is better to buy from companies like Fullmoon or The Soap Kitchen. Don't stint on quality. There are some simple books out there to get you started. The quantity of fragrance needs to be as recommended by the wax manufacturer.

MrsWinnibago Sun 07-Sep-14 22:50:48

I'm bumping this as I've got questions!

Do you need to buy a certain type of wick? there's so many! And the oils on the link are expensive! Any cheaper anyone can reccomend? Thank you!

MrsWinnibago Sat 05-Jul-14 21:35:31

OOh this thread!! I'm so excited! Laurie thank you so much for sharing your recipe and experience! I am really chuffed as I love candles and these will make beautiful gifts!!

Fragglewump Sat 05-Jul-14 14:02:18

Marking place for later!

Bobulate Sat 05-Jul-14 13:51:10

That might be me shortly saga - have just placed an order!

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Sat 05-Jul-14 13:19:20

Ha, well! It's become a family joke as I bought all the stuff from all the sources the OP recommended, gathered some teacups, etc. and then the stuff just sat around...

DH, thinking himself so hilarious, frequently says, "and when the money starts coming in from those candles..." cos for 5 minutes I fancied myself the new Jo Malone. blush

I really should make them, though...

Bobulate Sat 05-Jul-14 12:53:34

Did you manage to make some Saga?

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Sat 05-Jul-14 12:27:03

This is the thread that brought me to Mumsnet! Got all nostalgic and gleeful when I saw it pop up in Active Convos.

Bobulate Sat 05-Jul-14 12:21:22

I'm about to have a go at this but think I will get oils where original OP got hers, as they sound like they worked: www.4candles.co.uk/

Toastqueen Wed 07-May-14 11:26:51

Hey

Curious how the pomegranate noir goes, perhaps I've just smelt/burned too many am now immune.,,!, Gave one to a friend and she thought it smelt great :-))

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 06-May-14 23:28:05

toastqueen, in your defence people will buy your lovely candles and the money will be raised before anyone realisessmile I added some essential aromatherapy lavender oil to some and they are stronger. I am awaiting pomegrante noir oil to try out. Keep going. Although goodness only knows what this wax cleaning off is doing to the sewer system.

Toastqueen Tue 06-May-14 22:54:12

I too discovered this thread and am making (or trying to ) candles like diptyque -sadly not yet tho, bit like poster Ohhelpohnoitsa

Any tips?

Have tied myself in knots over correct temp to add fragrance (180) cooling time before pouring, curing time .... And so it goes on ........ they all burn well but not the fragrance throw is not great Despite using 10%

Using soy wax and escentia us style fragrance oils

Making these for a fundraiser on the 17may .....wish I'd done for the dog biscuits !!!!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 29-Apr-14 22:22:16

mmm certainly not too heavy handed. it smells lovely actually and looks ever so pretty with the flame illuminating the fine China cup. But, the lime oil I used is a bit
....throat-gripping. Overall, ok but sadly not Jo Malone standard. Will play around with different brands of fragrance oil. Any tips ?

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 29-Apr-14 21:57:00

I have joined the fruga-candle-gang and made my first 4 tea tonight. I fear I May have been a bit heavy handed with the oils - going to light one now. With me luck smile

Flossyfloof Sat 05-Apr-14 14:00:12

I really need to go to the gym now but when I get back I am going to sit down and read the whole of this thread and treat myself. I am rubbish at making things look nice but I think I could possibly do this, especially if I can find some nice containers/cups etc. Yum!

Hogwash Thu 03-Apr-14 22:14:25

LaurieFairieCake are the sites you posted in the original post in 2009 still the cheapest places to buy wax and oils? I've been looking at Blackadder and Gracefruit but there is a huge difference in price.

Thanks.

ParsleyTheLioness Thu 06-Feb-14 21:40:59

Worthwhile getting everything from one place, as carriage is a major part of the bill. Certainly while I am experimenting....I can branch out a bit later hopefully. I am trying their Scottish Heather fragrance oil, I already have quite a few essential oils.

ParsleyTheLioness Thu 06-Feb-14 21:37:36

I just had an order from fullmoons . Arrived the next day, bought 1kg wax, 1 x scented oil to try, wicks and 5 tins. About £20 in total, which included £6 delivery. Thought this was pretty good. Delivery by Fedex so can be tracked online.

MrsPennyapple Mon 20-Jan-14 23:40:25

MerryC I made my first candles last week with supplies from Whicknwhacks. Fairly prompt delivery considering it was right after Christmas. The only problem was that they forgot to send an email to say it was dispatched, so I had to chase up, but then my order arrived the next day.

I believe 4candles is also good, but their carriage was more to where I live. I think 4candles was cheaper but whicksnwhacks had more choice. Or maybe the other way around. Have a look at both smile

My candles came out really well btw, they definitely don't look home made!

MerryC Sun 19-Jan-14 12:44:10

Hi Laura Fairycake - I have just come across your sources for oils and soya wax. I was wondering if you are still using these sources for supply of these items. I clicked onto a couple and they don't seem to be there anymore. Love to try candle making. Regards, Mary

spottymoo Mon 06-Jan-14 17:39:42

Thanks I forgot about hobby craft we have a big one not far from us grin

Were do you get the Jo Malone sent from?

CuttedUpPear Mon 06-Jan-14 15:47:04

Joining the thread as I already lots of teacups and oils and love the idea of making Jo Malone standard candles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now