Oooooooooh, I have just made candles with 10% oils and they really are as good as Diptyque/Jo Malone

(367 Posts)

First time I've ever made candles and I wanted really smelly ones as I like dead posh ones smile

I made Amber and Lavender (my fave Jo Malone fragrance) and Lime and Fig.

I used soy wax so environmentally friendly and no paraffin and bought tea cups from charity shops so no waste, the ones I've made are actually giant french pottery cups that I got today.

The french cups worked out at £5.40 each as none of the stuff I bought was cheap. Not cheap as chips and if you used paraffin and cheap oils you could make it a lot cheaper. But one heck of a lot cheaper than posh candles.

Dead chuffed me and my home smells lovely.

I have another 15 oils to try - guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year wink

Flossyfloof Fri 15-May-15 19:00:05

Use!

Flossyfloof Fri 15-May-15 18:59:53

Laurie said she didn't bother with blue dots in the end, just used a peg I think to secure.
Can anyone tell my why you should not reuse wicks please? I have some old unused candles I want to use and don't understand why I shouldn't us the wicks?

VelvetGreen Wed 13-May-15 11:44:33

Clangermum - you can make wax melts in something like this. You can use essential oils on their own if you don't like the synthetic scents, but let the wax cool a bit before adding them, or they will lose some of their effectiveness.

Chicinwellies Thu 07-May-15 07:14:52

Agreed. Excited to try this !

Wow. I think this is the best zombie thread ever to pop up in active convos.

I am so glad I found it!

Thanks Laurie. I'm sure the karma gods or whoever have decided I neeeeeed to make candles grin would be rude not to now surely.

Chicinwellies Wed 06-May-15 12:08:36

So lovely to read this. Thank you OP and good luck with continuing this.

annex5050 Sun 15-Mar-15 16:24:16

I started about a year ago making candles...and they are going great guns!
I also make melts (the Americans call them tarts) and they are sooo strong but in a very nice way! You can put the melts in a burner and they fragrance the whole house...no nasty paraffin here...just pure soy wax and my friend has trouble with bronchial issues and can use them! Sooo happy. I am now making diffusers and room sprays to add to the collection......

clangermum Sat 28-Feb-15 11:52:36

Really pleased to see this thread resurrected. This is probably a stupid question, but other than not having to bother with a wick (and using a mould rather than pouring into a permanent container) would you modify the recipe at all for making wax melts as opposed to candles? I have a Yankee burner and like some of the tarts/melts available, but some seem a bit synthetic. Would like to be able to experiment, maybe using a cupcake silicone mould?

CSLewis Wed 25-Feb-15 15:05:11

Is there any actual shop where I could go and sniff actual fragrances for candle-making? I'm super-fussy about smells, and don't want to spend money online on smells I may not like.

evesmum33 Fri 02-Jan-15 15:12:59

Try long and ward candles.
They do nearly all the posh fragrances.
They smell identical and last over 40 hours at half the price.

Come in beautiful boxes too.

paneer Sat 29-Nov-14 21:13:11

glue dots didn't work. ended up using some melted wax. they are cooling so will know if it works tomorrow.

paneer Fri 28-Nov-14 21:31:46

I haven't made any yet but I read somewhere a dab of glue from a glue gun.

I don't have a glue gun but got a box of glue dots from the pound shop and hoping that will work.

FruitBalls Fri 28-Nov-14 14:38:57

Bumping an old thread here with a question.

How do I secure a wick (in the metal holder) to the bottom of a teacup, please? I don't want to use superglue as I want to re-use the teacup for other candles but blue tack is rubbish and the metal wick holder was just floating in the wax sad

paneer Thu 20-Nov-14 22:14:39

I ended up buying a selection of wicks with sustainers.
the candle in the container sounds interesting!

skylark2 Wed 19-Nov-14 11:42:43

You're supposed to prime wicks, which just involves dipping them in melted wax.

For basic candles in jars, which we use a lot and DH makes all the time, he just puts a standard white household candle down the middle. Far simpler than dealing with wicks. But they do look a bit odd until the white candle has burned down to the level of the rest of the wax. If it's for a gift, he cuts the candle to the right length first.

paneer Mon 17-Nov-14 21:15:18

Glad I refound this one.

This is the year of the candle for me. Looking at wicks, if I buy a length can I just cut and use? Do I need to do anything to the wick?

Also pomegranate noir - what's the fragrance I should buy?

Thanks.

ghostisonthecanvas Sun 07-Sep-14 23:12:03
ghostisonthecanvas Sun 07-Sep-14 23:09:16

www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/instructions_for_activity_pack_floating_candles.htm
Oh oh. Been a while since I made anything. Going to bed instead of surfing lovely things. Too easy to get carried away.

MrsWinnibago Sun 07-Sep-14 23:06:32

Thank you! I need all the tips I can get. x

ghostisonthecanvas Sun 07-Sep-14 23:01:55

I haven't RTFT.
The wick depends on the size of container . It is better to buy from companies like Fullmoon or The Soap Kitchen. Don't stint on quality. There are some simple books out there to get you started. The quantity of fragrance needs to be as recommended by the wax manufacturer.

MrsWinnibago Sun 07-Sep-14 22:50:48

I'm bumping this as I've got questions!

Do you need to buy a certain type of wick? there's so many! And the oils on the link are expensive! Any cheaper anyone can reccomend? Thank you!

MrsWinnibago Sat 05-Jul-14 21:35:31

OOh this thread!! I'm so excited! Laurie thank you so much for sharing your recipe and experience! I am really chuffed as I love candles and these will make beautiful gifts!!

Fragglewump Sat 05-Jul-14 14:02:18

Marking place for later!

Bobulate Sat 05-Jul-14 13:51:10

That might be me shortly saga - have just placed an order!

Ha, well! It's become a family joke as I bought all the stuff from all the sources the OP recommended, gathered some teacups, etc. and then the stuff just sat around...

DH, thinking himself so hilarious, frequently says, "and when the money starts coming in from those candles..." cos for 5 minutes I fancied myself the new Jo Malone. blush

I really should make them, though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now