Oooooooooh, I have just made candles with 10% oils and they really are as good as Diptyque/Jo Malone

(384 Posts)

First time I've ever made candles and I wanted really smelly ones as I like dead posh ones smile

I made Amber and Lavender (my fave Jo Malone fragrance) and Lime and Fig.

I used soy wax so environmentally friendly and no paraffin and bought tea cups from charity shops so no waste, the ones I've made are actually giant french pottery cups that I got today.

The french cups worked out at £5.40 each as none of the stuff I bought was cheap. Not cheap as chips and if you used paraffin and cheap oils you could make it a lot cheaper. But one heck of a lot cheaper than posh candles.

Dead chuffed me and my home smells lovely.

I have another 15 oils to try - guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year wink

yankeecandle4 Wed 11-Nov-15 19:29:31

Great thread!

I came across this thread whilst doing a google search.

If I buy a cheap candle from the pound shop, melt it and add fragrance will it smell?

nodramamama Mon 09-Nov-15 16:34:21

Bump, in case anyone else is making these for Christmas...

nodramamama Sun 08-Nov-15 07:01:10

Hi everyone stumbled across this thread last night and keen to give it a go for some Christmas presents and also for me as every morning and evening I burn a candle. Thanks for the inspiration, soy wax and wicks ordered, now to try and decide between all the delicious fragrances... I'll also be using aromatherapy. Any tips for calming scents, apart from Lavender and chamomile?

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 22-Oct-15 08:25:17

I went for Amazon for wax, and directoils for oils in the end. Haven't arrived yet though so I don't know if it will be any good!

bugsyburge Wed 21-Oct-15 23:04:43

Loads of helpful advice on their website too

bugsyburge Wed 21-Oct-15 23:04:23

I've bought mine from 4candle....ordered on Sunday, delivered far it's excellent!!!!

lavendersun Wed 21-Oct-15 13:55:12

15 or so I reckon as I have only just bought a second bag and haven't quite used up the first one.

luckiestgirlintheworld Wed 21-Oct-15 12:59:04

Thanks lavender-
Also, that 2.5 kilo bag of wax- how many candles would you say that would make? I've got small/medium glass tumblers...

lavendersun Wed 21-Oct-15 11:54:12

It does look like it is sold in grams but it is a liquid in a bottle, I just checked my inbox and I bought 100g in 2013, I reckon that has made 12-15 medium sized candles, those glass things the size of a small mug.

luckiestgirlintheworld Wed 21-Oct-15 11:42:35

Thanks lavender - that place for oils sells it by the gram not by the ml - or am I being thick?

lavendersun Wed 21-Oct-15 08:54:22

I buy my wax from Amazon

and have bought oils from here

I made sure I bought those labelled 'cosmetic grade', not sure why to be honest! I am definitely making it up as I go along!

luckiestgirlintheworld Tue 20-Oct-15 21:27:03

Anyone got an up to date link for a good place to buy oils and wax etc?

I love this thread!

lavendersun Sun 18-Oct-15 19:59:26

It is really easy bugsy. I use soy wax, melt it in my bain marie, add fragrance when it is almost melted (not sure how much, I just add it until it smells). I manage to get the wicks to stand up without sticking them, not sure how.

Pour in the wax, rearrange the wick and leave it to set!

bugsyburge Sun 18-Oct-15 19:22:54

Ooh I'm definitely going to have a look at doing this!!!

lavendersun Sun 18-Oct-15 13:47:59

I finally got round to this today, four candles setting right now.

Would be really interested to learn of everyone's favourite winter scents as I could do with buying some more.

lavendersun Sun 11-Oct-15 09:29:12

I made some last year Kitty, still have half a bag of soy wax and everything else I need. Came to remind myself of how to do it on this thread.

Think I am going to use the free cups and saucers you get with Hendricks, seem to have a few of them grin.

For me though, not gifts.

Kittyeiderdown Thu 17-Sep-15 14:46:52

Hi I've just joined and looking for a new hobby, seen some really old messages from lauriefairycake for candle making are any of you ladies still out there?

Flossyfloof Fri 15-May-15 19:00:05

Flossyfloof Fri 15-May-15 18:59:53

Laurie said she didn't bother with blue dots in the end, just used a peg I think to secure.
Can anyone tell my why you should not reuse wicks please? I have some old unused candles I want to use and don't understand why I shouldn't us the wicks?

VelvetGreen Wed 13-May-15 11:44:33

Clangermum - you can make wax melts in something like this. You can use essential oils on their own if you don't like the synthetic scents, but let the wax cool a bit before adding them, or they will lose some of their effectiveness.

Chicinwellies Thu 07-May-15 07:14:52

Agreed. Excited to try this !

Wow. I think this is the best zombie thread ever to pop up in active convos.

I am so glad I found it!

Thanks Laurie. I'm sure the karma gods or whoever have decided I neeeeeed to make candles grin would be rude not to now surely.

Chicinwellies Wed 06-May-15 12:08:36

So lovely to read this. Thank you OP and good luck with continuing this.

annex5050 Sun 15-Mar-15 16:24:16

I started about a year ago making candles...and they are going great guns!
I also make melts (the Americans call them tarts) and they are sooo strong but in a very nice way! You can put the melts in a burner and they fragrance the whole nasty paraffin here...just pure soy wax and my friend has trouble with bronchial issues and can use them! Sooo happy. I am now making diffusers and room sprays to add to the collection......

clangermum Sat 28-Feb-15 11:52:36

Really pleased to see this thread resurrected. This is probably a stupid question, but other than not having to bother with a wick (and using a mould rather than pouring into a permanent container) would you modify the recipe at all for making wax melts as opposed to candles? I have a Yankee burner and like some of the tarts/melts available, but some seem a bit synthetic. Would like to be able to experiment, maybe using a cupcake silicone mould?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now