Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Oooooooooh, I have just made candles with 10% oils and they really are as good as Diptyque/Jo Malone

(360 Posts)

First time I've ever made candles and I wanted really smelly ones as I like dead posh ones smile

I made Amber and Lavender (my fave Jo Malone fragrance) and Lime and Fig.

I used soy wax so environmentally friendly and no paraffin and bought tea cups from charity shops so no waste, the ones I've made are actually giant french pottery cups that I got today.

The french cups worked out at £5.40 each as none of the stuff I bought was cheap. Not cheap as chips and if you used paraffin and cheap oils you could make it a lot cheaper. But one heck of a lot cheaper than posh candles.

Dead chuffed me and my home smells lovely.

I have another 15 oils to try - guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year wink

I used a plastic jug and it washed fine, probably because the soy has such a low melting temperature and it was just a bit of hot water and washing up liquid.

the problem with using a microwave is it could catch fire in there - I would never do it with cheap paraffin wax.

You know those little Ikea jars? I have made some extra amber and lavender candles in them - I'm hoping they don't break the jar when burning hmm

Anyone fancy being a guinea pig and telling me honestly what they think of the smell?

Scorps - you want me to send you one? (not for money - don't believe in that)

email me at the email address I just created lauriemakescandles@yahoo.co.uk if you want to. smile

I have had so much fun today - I made some green dyed ones in teacups with honeysuckle and jasmine smell - you need very little dye - PICTURE of pretty cups on profile

Oh yes please!

sure! smile

email me with your address at lauriemakescandles@yahoo.co.uk and I will send you a wee jar.

Thank you!

Have emailed you.

I love candles!

you Fri 10-Jul-09 20:44:17

They look amazing!

Let me know if you decide to make more and sell them so I can pretend I did them wink

<<will never be a domestic goddess>>

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jul-09 20:49:40

I have soooo many candles. Have smelled the Diptyque ones (my sister uses them) and they are divine!

you and expat - email me at that address and I will send you a little jar smile

no-one can have too many candles

witchofeastwick Fri 10-Jul-09 20:54:47

They look LOVELY

<< gives LaurieFairyCake pat on the back>>

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jul-09 20:58:42

Laurie, thanks for sharing the recipe, too. So many times, when you get on websites, they're too vague about the exact proportions to use and exactly what they used (measurements of wax and such).

It sounds like FUN, too!

I'll send a lot an email because I think you can never have too many candles, either.

I have 11 on the mantle, another 4 pillar ones on the hearth, more in the hall, next to my bed I have my lavender and chamomile ones (for sleep) and in the bathroom . . . blush.

you Fri 10-Jul-09 21:01:53

Oh thank you!

Will email you now grin

Am ever so tempted to make my own too now, would make such excellent christmas presents!

I'm going to start making them when I get back from my holiday. Christmas candles all round this year!

I am now making bergamot and black pepper - apparently good for concentration.

I love finding a new hobby - at least it's working out better than the coasters that dd and I wove yesterday - truly, truly, pants grin

oh the candles are lovely! Love the cups idea and the strong fragrance smile I am a candle lover, can never have to many grin

I love Yankee but they are so expensive, although they do last a long time.

I tried making a candle last week from some old leftover candles and it looks ok but it sunk down in the middle.....do you know what causes that? Maybe it's because I used old candles?

You should really think about selling them!

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jul-09 21:21:04

I love Yankee, too, Holy. My alltime fav is Midsummer Night.

Divine!

littlelamb Fri 10-Jul-09 21:23:09

They look gorgeous HOw much do you think you've spent? And how many candles do you think you'll get out of it? I am going to scour the charity shops tomorrow for some pretty cups

Oh, I don't know my fave expat, can't decide. Love the fresh linen and the baby talc, great in summer. In winter I love the french vanilla grin

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jul-09 21:31:31

Sun and Sand in summer.

tattycoram Fri 10-Jul-09 21:32:49

Wow they look fantastic. I'm really tempted to give it a go

I love Yankee but some of the 'cookie' ones are awful, too sweet.

I like the Fresh Linen one too and the lemon.

What's the one that smells like Coppertone?

Oh and I love the sandalwood.

Where do you buy Yankee online? I used to use a great site, but their range is really limited now.

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jul-09 21:38:41

Sun and Sand smells like Coppertone, ilove, that's why I loves it!

I buy the wax tartlets as they're much cheaper and burn for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now