Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I feel awful, just laughed at someones dead pet

(46 Posts)
NotTheJoker Sun 15-Mar-09 01:11:37

I've namechanged because I'm sure I'm going to get called allsorts here ...

But my friend called me about an hour ago crying. I asked "what's wrong?" and she replied "I've lost BigBum"

I said "what??"

and she snapped "The Guinea Pig!"

blush

So I did my best to console her and everything. She's just phoned back, she'd stopped crying and was feeling much better. But when she started going on about the guinea pig by name I had a huge lump in my throat and my voice was strained. Just the name makes me laugh so much blush especially when she uses it in such serious context eg:

"This morning, I said to DH that BigBum does not look well ... DH said BigBum never looks well ... " etc etc

When she heard my voice go funny she said "aww, are you crying now too?" blush

I had to rush off the phone. I feel AWFUL. I'm not laughing at the more guinea pig and my friend didn't catch on that I was laughing but DH keeps making me feel really guilty!

Am I truely awful for laughing?

juneybean Sun 15-Mar-09 01:18:00

ROFL! Seriously he was called BigBum?!!?

NotTheJoker Sun 15-Mar-09 01:20:05

yes! at least someone else finds it funny, I don't feel so bad now. DH keeps winding me up lol

What a name though, how she can say that with a straight face I'll never know! grin

namechangecosfeelingsad Sun 15-Mar-09 01:20:53

I empathise. Just had my neighbour round here crying cos her daughter's lizard died.

I am evil.

Jacksmama Sun 15-Mar-09 15:29:17

I would have lost it!! Don't know how you didn't - BigBum????????
RRRRRRRRROFLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
grin

I am PMSL at the name myself..evil grin

shivster1980 Sun 15-Mar-09 16:13:49

Poor Guinea Pig probably died of shame - BigBum?!?!?!?!?!?!?

NotPlayingAnyMore Sun 15-Mar-09 16:14:13

YANBU grin

YANBU. She thinks you were crying over the death of poor Bigbum so you are a good friend as far as she is concerned.

differentID Sun 15-Mar-09 20:47:30

the choking will have been taken as devestation over bigbum's death. She'll love you always.

SoupDragon Sun 15-Mar-09 20:49:24

Hey, at least she doesn't have a FatAr$e now.

AlistairSim Sun 15-Mar-09 21:35:06

I want it noted that I am only telling you this to make you feel better.

DP loves cats. I think they're ok and was able to fake love the two he had when we met.
When said cats finally shuffled off to the giant litter tray in the sky, he had them cremated and put into fancy carved wooden boxes. One each, prettily labelled.

Whenever we move, the 'cats' are carefully packed, unpacked and placed in a prominent position.

Every so often I put one of the boxes on our bed and then moan to DP that the 'bloody cats are on the bed again'.

moondog Sun 15-Mar-09 21:37:45

grin

EdwardBear Sun 15-Mar-09 21:40:58

grin at the cats on the bed

AlistairSim Sun 15-Mar-09 21:45:43

Please don't encourage me.

The boxes are calling to me....

BigBumm Sun 15-Mar-09 21:55:58

angry

ninah Sun 15-Mar-09 21:57:34

grin

thumbwitch Sun 15-Mar-09 21:58:01

YANBU - what a funny name! I think I would have had trouble too..

LOL at cats on bed!

BigBumm Sun 15-Mar-09 21:59:33

NotTheJoker, what's the betting your mate is a mumsnetter? grin

fishie Sun 15-Mar-09 22:01:54

my friend did this to me when my hamster. i didn't do the full bigbum, she rang just after he'd popped off and wasn't able to manage the hamsterly gravitas. she'd had a load of magic mushrooms too.

TinkerBellesMumandFiFi2 Sun 15-Mar-09 22:17:00

We adopted Pooh and Tigger (cats!) Mum refused to call them in or she would shout Tigger and mumble Pooh. Pooh was my cat or I was his human (you know what they say about cats) and he would follow me to the bus stop. Unfortunately for me he would walk in the bushes and when he first started doing it I would try to discourage him and I'd be looking at a bush saying "Pooh, go home!" I did get some looks!

YANBU, I'm sure you are sympathetic about her pet and just laughing at the name, like anyone would - afterall, it's why she choose that name in the first place!

AlistairSim ROFL! I had to reread that, I missed that they were cremated the first time [bush]

TinkerBellesMumandFiFi2 Sun 15-Mar-09 22:18:38

I'm laughing too much

blush

Another thing I've shouted at a bush "stop following me Pooh" grin

differentID Sun 15-Mar-09 22:19:07

my dh's grandparents had a great big mean ginger furball when he was growing up.

His name was

Poofter!!!!!!!!!!!!!grin

dh recalls refusing to call him in.grin

juneybean Sun 15-Mar-09 23:16:04

TinkerbellesMum, have you missed your typo in your first post LMAO.

I'm sat crying of laughter.

muffle Sun 15-Mar-09 23:34:39

The thing is if you have called your guinea pig a daft name, then you get used to it and it sounds normal - I bet she happily called BigBum!!! to it all the time without a thought.

I however would have laughed, I can promise you. I do embarrassing things like that all the time.

btw i also would worry that this thread will make you somewhat recognisable if she should read it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now