Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to have wanted to enjoy our first holiday with our baby

(114 Posts)
pamelat Thu 11-Sep-08 08:53:43

DD 8 months.

Just back from a week away, so glad to be home!

We shared an over priced sad hotel room with her.

First night she woke every 2 hours. Second night hourly. After that she decided that she would sleep from 7pm until about 2am (fine) but then that would be it .. !!

We took it in turns to get up with her at 230am and drive her around (!) so that the other one could get some sleep.

She was then grumpy every day because she was tired. We were fractious because we were tired.

We spent a fortune (which we don't have) because the weather was awful so we had to go to things.

Evenings we were often in bed by 9pm (with the TV on silent so as to not wake her).

I guess you learn, never again will I share a hotel room with her! Self catering is the only option.

I know (or think?) that some of you may be critical and say "well you were lucky enough to go on holiday, lucky enough to have a DD/DH etc" but I can't help but feel hard done to, was looking forward to it and frankly it was a disaster!!

DanniPops Wed 17-Sep-08 21:26:53

Fully sympathetic. Just back from Greece with DDs 1 & 3 and it was pants. Hotel too lovely so always tense that my wild children were breaking something (usually accurate). I had thought eating in hotel and not cooking would be a rest, but I discovered that thanking the waiter 15 times for picking up dd2's fork / bread roll / smashed glass made me more tense than domestic drudgery. I previously thought my children were just spirited, but actually they were the worst behaved in the resort. My new rule of thumb - the baboon test. If I couldn't face going there with a baboon, don't go with my children. Husband is in dog house as convinced me to go abroad instead of Cornwall. Never EVER again!

fruitful Fri 12-Sep-08 13:52:53

Self-catering. In Britain, so you can load the car with toys. I refuse to go anywhere that isn't at least as comfortable at home. Has to have a dishwasher, microwave, powershower, kingsize-bed, cbeebies or dvd player, be safe for roaming toddlers, etc!

This year's had a playground immediately outside the backdoor. So I could post dd (6) and ds1 (3) outside, put ds2 (8mo) to bed in his own travel cot (we got him used to it before the holiday) and put my feet up (looking out of the window at dd&ds1). Fab. Beach just up the road to wear them all out so we could get them to bed early. And then there were all sorts of takeaway places round the corner so we could have a nice meal that I didn't have to cook, in the evening.

Admittedly this is not the kind of holiday I'd have done before kids, and I'm glad I didn't know that it was the kind of holiday I was going to be having for the next decade-and-a-half, but still, it was fun.

pamelat Fri 12-Sep-08 11:41:47

I think it would have been easier if conditions weren't monsoon like. I didn't fancy being outdoors but DD hates indoors!

Am looking at http://www.childfriendlycottages.co.uk/ and they look fab. Not looked at prices yet though!

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 12-Sep-08 10:58:08

When DS1 was almost 2 I was in France with my Dad who was v keen to have a posh lunch - we were staying in a horrible place and dinner wasn't up to much. I was pregnant so he pushed DS1 up and down hill for about an hour till he fell asleep. Ran into resturant, got a table and started eating. We were well into main course by the time he woke and was pretty civilised. My Dad was stressing that he'd let the side down, as there was an impecably dressed and behaved 4 year old at next table with Grand Maman and elderly aunt. All went well and DS was brilliant, but best thing was when little girl lost in and wallopped her granny.grin

Whether I'd do it with 2 boys now...not so sure!

cat64 Fri 12-Sep-08 09:57:11

Message withdrawn

pamelat Thu 11-Sep-08 18:53:19

Tried the meal out thing (Neeerly3). We went to a lovely restaurant near the harbour, she woke up just as a food arrived. I took her outside in the pram to try to get her back to sleep, half an hour later I had succeeded (DH had eaten his food, mine was on the cold side).

On getting back to the hotel she re woke and cried for 2 hours.

To be fair, I can see 2 teeth peeping through today so maybe that played a part in the fiasco too (she doesn't have any teeth yet).

Neeerly3 Thu 11-Sep-08 16:16:01

our first holiday to jersey in a hotel for a wedding with my dt's aged 5mo was not great but not shite either. First few nights we stopped in to keep them in their usual routine, but then we decided we should join our friends for meals out, we would bath the boys at usual time, get them in their jim jams, bottle of milk then in the buggy to get to restuarant - they would then sleep til about 10/11 maybe, while we ate, get back to hotel, another bottle and into cots to sleep. They were up early, but would chuck one baby to DH to feed, I would feed one, back in cots for maybe a bit more sleep, then down to breakfast.

Holidaying with friends/family for us is a must, can share the childcare, you all get a bit of downtime, can share who gets up in the morning. We first went away agin after jersey when dt's were nearly 2 to portugal with in laws to a villa. Took boys a while to settle into the new routine, but once they did they were fine, we went last year too and going again this year (next week in fact) and really looking forward to it. They are nearly 4 now and they can express themselves and keep telling me how excited they are and how they going to swim every day....my idea of a holiday has changed now basically, yes i still like to lie in the sun and eat good food and enjoy the odd bottle glass of wine, but i know it won't be everyday.

someone mentioned, I think it was the OP, about seperate holidays for her and DH - we also do this, DH went to Austria ski-ing this year (we went with DT's last year, now that WAS a disaster, never again!) and i went to Portugal. We both came back chilled and ready for life with two full on 3yo boys!

elliott Thu 11-Sep-08 15:15:01

Many thanks!!!

Gingerbear Thu 11-Sep-08 15:14:34

And don't worry about them only eating chicken kebabs for a whole week!

Gingerbear Thu 11-Sep-08 15:11:44

top tips for best (hot, sunny) holidays with young children:

Self-catering or aparthotel with flexible meal-times
Close to beach or with a pool
get up early, go to beach before sun too hot
have leisurely long lunch with somewhere kids can play safely in the shade
Take a siesta until 4-5pm then go back to beach until late.
The kids will not be tired, have lots of fun without getting too hot and you can go out late in the evening.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 11-Sep-08 14:59:28

Our holiday this year with DS (4.9) and DD (2.11) was the best we have had with them, which was a nice treat smile.

We stayed in a Keycamp campsite in France, in a mobile home with three bedrooms. I think for us that the more bedrooms, the better. I can't imagine staying in a hotel for longer than a couple of nights; everyone would go mad.

It helped that DS was old enough for and enjoyed going to the kidsclub (2.5 hours a day) so one person could have some time off knowing the other one only had one child to look after.

Somehow shifting children's sleep times so they went to bed about 10 and woke up at 8:30 at the earliest shock. This was probably the best part grin.

Even managed some peaceful meal time when DD and DS were at evening kids club run by campsite, in a room visable from our table.

We didn't travel too far when we were at the campsite, took things at DS and DD's pace and all of us were happy nearly all the time. Am hoping to repeat next year.

Our first holiday with DS when he was 7 months was fairly dismal. It was wet and did feel like the same old same old just in a different place.

TheUnsinkableMB Thu 11-Sep-08 14:57:08

Perhaps next year you could try self-catering www.childfriendlycottages.co.uk

Theyre not too expensive and already have everything you could need like steralisers, cots, prams, toys, highchairs etc so you don't need to drag the whole house with you!

I'm off to one of the cottages next week so fingers crossed!

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 11-Sep-08 14:42:26

PS That last post was for Elliot!

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 11-Sep-08 14:40:05

www.aupredupoirier.com

They had 2 sep bedrooms - one for me and DH and one for them, a hall and sep bath and sep loo. Just up stairs from where we ate, so the squawk box worked ok. Boys have sep bedrooms at home but not on holiday, but they were fine, luckily! We've stayed there a couple of times and are about to book again for just after Xmas, and have recommended it to others. They don't speak a lot of English, but are so friendly!

elliott Thu 11-Sep-08 14:33:41

Mumof222boys - details of wonderful french B&B please. grin Do your boys have completely separate rooms? How old are they?

anniemac Thu 11-Sep-08 14:22:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DiscoDizzy Thu 11-Sep-08 14:21:27

i'm obviously very late to this thread. We went on hols when DD2 was 9 months. It was a nightmare. She cried from what felt like the minute we got to the apartment, until the day we left, she woke through the night and arose at 5 am every morning when I had to wander around Lanzarote in the dark to try and get her to sleep. It was horrendous. Every holiday since then though (she's now 3) has been great. We've got 2 DDs and always try and stay in 2 bed apartment.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 11-Sep-08 14:19:29

most rticky ones were hptel with 14 month old but even so i reckoned it was just as hard work as at home but with dh there ft and sun so i didint mind.

anniemac Thu 11-Sep-08 14:17:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 11-Sep-08 14:02:44

Holidays are undoubtedly different, but apart from a couple of times, we haven't had total nightmares. DS2 at 8 months was ghastly - jusst like OP's problem (he screamed a lot at night we were worried he'd wake DS1 and the grandparents who were supposed to help us out but were useless. We were knackered.)

On the brighter side, we usually go SC to same place in French Alps. It is perfect for kids. It is a long drive, but we stop half way in a brilliant B&B near Avallon. Can you believe 93 Euro for 2 separate fantastic bedrooms in recently renovated house which includes 4 course meals for all and a fab breakfast. Also very kiddy friendly. French motorway services are good for kids (lots of play areas + food ok and not so expensive as English ones).

I worry about hotels with small children. I know some people who wpent 5 days in a hotel with kids going to bed at 7pm and them hiding out in the loo reading books until their bedtime. Mad or what??

Fennel Thu 11-Sep-08 13:49:53

One of our solutions has been to abandon foreign holidays, or expensive holidays, and just go camping in the UK. the good bit is that if you have a good time, great (and we do OK at camping, we all like it). But if it's crap, at least you haven't spent a fortune to have a miserable time.

shootfromthehip Thu 11-Sep-08 13:43:09

Ha Ha Ha- glad to see I'm not alone in hating hols with the kids. Took DD on holiday at 4 1/2 mths- bloody terrible, 18mths utterly terrible- included us getting ALL of our stuff stolen except pram- thanks. Again 2 1/2 etc, etc, etc. Any time we have done hotels it has been shocking. Self catering is much better but ditto the sleep issues.

Am just back from 2 weeks in Spain with DD and DS who both took alternate nights in getting up and was also woken EVERY night at 4.30am by other people coming home for work- just for good measure. Accept that hols will never be the same again. You will spend a terrific amount of money making yourself miserable abroad but at least will come back with a tan. Or you will spend a terrific amount of money making your self miserable without a tan. Either way you will be skint, miserable and knackered. Until they are old enough to leave home. wink

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 11-Sep-08 13:35:04

agree with MP

we had lots of loevly hols when ours were babies

luxury 5* cottage in cornwall

they went to bed at 7.

we ate nice food, drank good wine and relaxed

morningpaper Thu 11-Sep-08 13:30:54

ONE NIGHT IN HOTEL WITH DP with children palmed off with uncles/grandparents was must more of a 'break' than two weeks in Spain with the children

We ever stay in a hotel with the kids - it is pointless - imagine how nice it would have been is your DD were being a horror for one of you at least to be able to sleep whilst the other went and watched TV and looked after her in the sitting room?

DD thinks hotels are only for grown ups now - she hasn't ever stayed in one and they have some sort of mystical quality for her like chewing gum (which you aren't allowed until you can drive a car!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now