to be planning a letter of complaint to the PTFA for poisoning my children at the Christmas fair?

(343 Posts)
Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 12:52:18

Why does it have to be so packed with sugar? After the fair at the juniors my nearly three year old was sick several times in the night because someone gave him those disgusting sugar walking sticks.

At the Infants fair yesterday I gave my kids pocket money and sent them off browsing reminding them about the sugar poisoning incident so ds3 decided to go for the lucky dip. He pulled out a handbag which I thought was great. I later discovered it was FULL of lollies FGS!

I can;'t watch them all every minute of the Christmas Fair because it's one of the places they should be given freedom to roam. Also I was running a stall.

I love school fairs but the sugar thing really ruins them for me and poisons my kids. Why are people so obsessed with sugar for kids?

I have many years to go at these schools so am thinking of writing or talking to the PTFA people about capping the amount of sugar available at these events. Is that reasonable?

Now if you'll excuse me I have to put some more vomitty bedding in the washing machine. angry

frothykindofadrink Sun 09-Dec-07 16:38:49

your son was sick because of a sugar walking stick? a couple of sweets are hardly overindulgence imo - are you sure that's what caused it?

anyhow how are they going to cap the amount of sugar?

will there be ration cards handed out to every child? or will there a very small pile to be thrown down the throats of the first 10 children in the door leaving the rest to nibble on wholemeal crackers?

my kids went to the school fair yesterday and had a mini roll each

is this acceptable?

EricScrooge Sun 09-Dec-07 16:39:38

Sugar = poison?

Are you for real?

What a ludicrous statement.

Your kids sound like they don't get any treats at all - what fun that must be for them to go off and stuff their faces with 'poison' when you aren't looking.

bananaknickers Sun 09-Dec-07 16:40:36

Sorry ,your children are not well. I think you will be laughed at if you complain to be honest. My children got swords as a prize last week-which I didn't like.. I took them away. I was running a stall too. My children were my responsibility and not the P.T.A

funnypeCOOLYULEiar Sun 09-Dec-07 16:45:58

You let your 3yo wander unsupervised at a Christmas fair, and you're complaining that he ate too much sugar - sorry, but clearly YABtotallyU. Put bluntly, it's your fault he ate too much sugar, not the school's. They weren't supervising him.

That said, I have a lot of sympathy with the idea of asking school fairs to give out prizes that aren't sweets. We went to our first one with ds (3yo) & dd (20mths) and they ate a ridiculous amount of tat because pretty much every stall was dolling out sweets as prizes (except the booze tombola grin) - I would have liked to have seen more plastic tat instead...

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 16:57:22

Oh my god you poor disillusioned oafs and your poor children.

Imagine such trust in sugar. Haven't you done any reading? Do you just close your eyes and march through life believing it must be OK because it's in the shops/at the christmas fair/wherever.

LOOK at the fat, sick, out of control, badly behaved kids we're bringing up. They haven't the foggiest about food as their taste buds have been corrupted hy sugar and MGS and whatever other crap people stick in to make crap food taste acceptable.

You think you're being nice to your kids by allowing them horrendous amounts of sugar? You think it really won't do them any harm?

Dream on.

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 16:59:49

LOL@oafs, but it was you that allowed your children the sugar by not watching them..........

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:01:21

Actually tiny I was watching them. I was also allowing other mums they knew to watch them while I helped out with the storytelling workshops.

I really believe school fairs whould be places where kids of a reasonable age (say 5+) should be able to roam.

if your kids have such a violent reaction to sugar then go get their pancreas checked out.and moondog-speak for yourself-my chikldren are not fat or sick or out of control or badly behaved or any of thing like that and they are allowed sugar as part of their diet.

unknownrebelbang Sun 09-Dec-07 17:01:36

Nice.

sorry-not mondog-spidermama

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 17:03:48

5+??
Wasn't it your almost three year old that you mentioned in the op??
My DD is 7 and wouldn't eat/purchase anything I told her not to. Whereas my Ds is 3 in a couple of weeks and would help himself to anything he could.
They also are not ill or overweight or badly behaved etc.

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 17:04:34

Hilarious post. Don't want your three year old to have any sugar? Then, duh, don't fill his pockets with money and let him wander around unsupervised. You know, be the parent.
Anyway, there is a short-lived winter vomiting virus going round. Makes kids very, very sick but doesn't last long.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:06:10

I used the word poison advisedly so have provided the following link for your edification. A substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means. 2. Something destructive or fatal. 3. Chemistry & Physics A substance that inhibits another substance or a reaction: a catalyst poison Poson.

Actually mildmanneredblah my DS1 is a type 1 diabetic which has only a passing relevance to this thread afaik. This is about all four of my kids and indeed all the kids there who were off their faces on sugar in a way which has become far too accepted.

coldtits Sun 09-Dec-07 17:06:57

Children have always liked sugar - if they are exposed to it regularly they develop a little self control, even at a young age.

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 17:07:41

Water is more of a 'poison' than sugar. You can die from drinking too much of it. It's still not a poison though.

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 17:08:25

PMSL at the assumption that this must be moondog grin

There IS far too much shit on offer at school events though. It pisses me off, especially when my children are given haribo, hunks of icing and evilly bright lollipops without my permission. I'm not quite the purist Spidermama is though, I do let them have sweet foods sometimes, but I like it to be on my terms and not in crazily excessive quantities.

Christmas is the craziest time of all for this - cheap shitty TV merchandise chocolate advent calendars being the thin end of the wedge - it hacks me off because it's a conscious underestimation of children. Why the assumption that children can't find any wonder or excitement at anything unless it comes with a chunk of sugary shite? I can remember being overwhelmed with awe at the prospect of opening the little window on the advent calendar and seeing what the picture was that day.

[disgusted sigh]

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 17:08:32

Oh shit, I just had a hot chocolate with marshmallows. I'm going to die.
FFS.
Sugar, as most other things that are regularly found in a human diet is fine in moderation.

wekll there you go-your child is diabetic which is a whole dofferent kettle of fish to kids that don'ty have that.

in the seven years i have been a parent i have never seen my children 'off their faces on sugar', they have never been hyper after eating sweets, been mad or any of the other states attributed to children who have been eating sweet stuff. i am very hmm about statements like yours.

Elphaba Sun 09-Dec-07 17:09:18

If you complained about this to our PTA committee we'd have a jolly good laugh and then throw your complaint out of the window.

bananaknickers Sun 09-Dec-07 17:09:26

My dd is 5 and i wouldn't let her walk around a school fair on her own. She would also not eat any sweets unless she asked me first. I see no difference in letting a child walk around unsupervised in a school fair than a supermarket.The doors are open for parents and public alike to attend.

Elphaba Sun 09-Dec-07 17:10:32

'Off their faces on sugar'? Are you sure it wasn't speed then? My children have never been 'off their faces' on sugar. If this the type of reaction your children have then it's your responsibility to monitor it, nobody else's.

QuintessentialShadowOfYuleTide Sun 09-Dec-07 17:13:14

Mincepiemama, sugar is a natural not a chemical substance. It is from the sugar roe. It is a plant. Though, this does not mean it is a drug, like opium, or cannabis, also from a plant. hmm

You are the parent, You are responsible for what your children eat, not the school.

pagwatch Sun 09-Dec-07 17:13:16

My children wouldn't buy and eat anything without checking with me first. My DD always comes home from a party with party bag and goes through it with me pulling out stuff and binning what she can't have.
My kids have allergies and intolerances and DS2 has asd and cannot cope with too much sugar or additives so i can't take the sugar and sweets thing lightly but - it is MY responsibilty - one that I only pass on to people who I would trust to check on my kids as I would.
So yes - as much as I have to be strict about sweets too - I think you are being unreasonable.
If you can't trust them not to check with you then they are not responsible enough to be wandering on their own. My 5 year old would have come to me to check.

NAB3littlemonkeys Sun 09-Dec-07 17:18:14

I would like to ask a serious question.

I have just made some chocolate muffins, chocolate brownie cake and maple syrup muffins and I am quite surprised at how big the pile of sugar is that goes in them. As I have been very strict in the past, I am trying to realx a bit and let the kids have some treats, (I figure home made are better than shop bought), and I think the children need a certain amount of sugar to grow and for energy. Am I right, or not?

minorityrules Sun 09-Dec-07 17:18:18

Would prefer all mine to eat stupid amounts of sugar instead of artificial sweeteners, sugar makes you fat and rots yours teeth, jury's out on the artificial stuff

I have never seen a kid vomit because of sugar, I have seen kids vomit after over indulging in too much food but not just sugar

I doubt one little walking stick caused the problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now