to ask my MIL to rinse dishes after washing up with Fairy

(250 Posts)
Oriole Wed 25-Jul-07 17:48:08

My MIL often offer to do the washing-up when she is staying with us. At first I was happy with this, but soon I noticed that she didn't rinse them off after washing with Fairy in the sink. I had a talk with her about this, still I see some foam in salad bowls and cups.

Is it unreasonable to ask my MIL again to rinse dishes after washing up with Fairy?

geekymummy Tue 11-Sep-07 15:47:04

Sorry, haven't read thru whole thread, just OP.

YANBU.

Rinsing is mandatory chez Geeks. Don't want drinks tasting of washing up liquid.

Nice of MIL to wash up tho.

CPM Mon 10-Sep-07 07:01:04

I live in Japan and I'm often asked why British people don't rinse.
I'd always assumed that we did, but this thread has made very interesting reading.
Any ideas as to whether this is a geographical/ class-based/ cultural thing? I was raised in Glasgow and it never occurred to me that some people don't rinse.

The question about showering after bathing often comes up, too. The Japanese style of bathing is to wash yourself in the shower first, then get into the bath for a soak, and then have a final rinse off under the shower when you come out.
We don't actually wash in the bath.
Rinsing after bathing makes sense in this context, but I wonder how British people feel about it generally?

MerryMarigold Mon 30-Jul-07 13:56:10

Pippi, but you do have a choice with breathing nasty air - you can wear a mask with a filter! It's much easier than rinsing. And as for tea towels...please don't tell me you dry your hands on kitchen roll. Oh, the waste, the waste.

PippiLangstrump Sun 29-Jul-07 22:12:44

yes we do breathe a lot of crap too but I bet if you had the choice you would avoid it. so why not rinsing?

I agree it doesn't kill you, nor will probably do any damage, IMO it's just disgusting, I don't want to taste soap and other people bits of food when I eat mine. that's all.

also re: not rinsing after a bath... if you rinse the bath tub after the bath why not yourself? I seriously don't get it...

fizzbuzz Sun 29-Jul-07 21:56:50

Tea towels,,,,now your're talking. They are totally digusting

Meglet Sun 29-Jul-07 21:30:49

I cannot bear it when stuff isn't rinsed! I had many rows with my DP over this in the early days. the bubbles are there to trap the grime (I think?) and be rinsed off. I hate tea towels too. I just chuck everything in the dishwasher.

however I suspect she will not be pleased if you ask her to rinse. best of luck!

fizzbuzz Sun 29-Jul-07 21:14:06

I didn't know people rinsed dishes......has never ever occured to me.....

Also at work, the nearest sink is miles away, and often re-use coffee cup with no nasty illnesses.......so do all colleagues...perrhaps we are just sluts

MerryMarigold Sun 29-Jul-07 20:17:49

no rinsing here - and we're ok...imagine what we BREATHE every day walking along behind cars and going on the tube or standing at bus stops. Now THAT's gross - solution is to wear a mask and possibly a gas tank like Michael Jackson. In the same category is being 'pissy pants' about rinsing...

maluta2 Sun 29-Jul-07 20:13:39

I truly can't understand those of you that don't rinse. It is a disgusting, horrible, gross habit to have to ingest nasty chemicals plus bits of food and dirty smelly greasy dishwater.
Some time ago when I worked in an office my boss often offered to make me a cup of coffee, which entailed taking my dirty cup, washing it and filling it with coffee. I always wondered why her coffee tasted very weird indeed - could never finish it - until one day I saw my boss in the kitchen dipping my cup in the dirty horrible coffee/fairy water (together with 10 other coffee cups and suds)and draining it without rinsing. I almost threw up - had my answer to the weird taste problem. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

PippiLangstrump Sun 29-Jul-07 11:39:22

some will drip dry, leaving a trail behind that you cannot see, a bit like a slug does and some will indeed evaporate... quite a bit of it will without a doubt remain stuck on the surface.

it's not so much the soap I object to, although carcinogenic, it's the dirt mixed to it...

I am sorry but I do not want to have bits of soemone elses food on my plate...

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 17:36:13

TL - some of us are not sure - apparently it's because carcinogenic bubbles can stick to the dishes and make your tea taste funny. But we are in a minority it seems, apparently most of the US, Europe and the UK do the rinsing thing

TenaLady Sat 28-Jul-07 17:33:45

rinse, no I never have done. Whats that all about then? Just wastes water!

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 17:32:15

thinks: must not read child called it or might have nightmares.

Am going to try dishwash liquid

3andnomore Sat 28-Jul-07 17:25:50

lol at the Bubble thing though....don't think any of mine have ever drunk it....think I would have noticed...as when I refill it I tend to use straight washing up liquid, makes nicer bubbles...and in it's pure form it'#s meant to give you the runs pretty immiediately (remember this fact from reading "A child called It"...because that was what that nasty witch of a mohter did to "IT"

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 17:16:29

yes - you have to rinse after handwashing, else the clothes go crunchy.

3andnomore Sat 28-Jul-07 17:12:53

legal, yes, this thread is a nice bit of light relief in so many out of control threads..lol...!
Droile, hm, rinsing clothes in clean water after handwaashing does make sense to me, because the soap that would stay in can't be great for the fiber or the skin, and washing powder canbe quite an agressive thing...Enzymes and stuff like that.
But, erm, if you drip dry, surely at least most of that highly diluted washing up water will indeed drip away...it's not really gonna evaporate or anything, is it?

Droile Sat 28-Jul-07 12:51:29

I've just thought - when I (rarely) do a piece of handwashing (clothes), I always do a final rinse in clean water. Is the same principle/logic in use? Or do non-rinsers think that stuff slides off pots because they are hard & slippery? I don't have much faith in the spiel of washing-up manufacturers and think that what is in the water is on the pots.

Droile Sat 28-Jul-07 11:44:12

You wouldn't see the results of carcinogen ingestion for years and years....I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I find it yucky and usually decline other people's washing-up offers - they can dry instead, or do another of the millions of tasks around the kitchen. It's quite a personal thing. IME, far more British people don't rinse than do. I've only come across a handful of people who rinse and even when you've explained the logic behind it, they still don't seem to get it.

I rinse sparingly as I go and use the water to fill the bowl for the next batch of detergent washing. Dishwasher is bust ATM, but I've never used rinse-aid.

FWIW, I've never minded being told how to do things when I've done a chore at someone else's house. If I know they're a non-rinser, I don't rinse. If I know they like shoes off at the door, I take my shoes off. If I know they like their clothes pegged out a certain way, I do it their way, etc etc. It's not helping if it isn't done properly.
When in Rome?

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 10:53:31

erm, that would be TOO

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 10:52:41

I love this thread. 3andnomore you are clearly addicted to. Hmm, what else can we have a "differing views without tearing each others throats out" thread about?

My DS drank some bubble mix once (aged about 11 months I think) - seems to have survived it although it obviously made an impression - I gave him a bubble lawnmower thing the other day, and after studying it for a bit he said: "[name] drank some bubble mix when I was a baby, and bubbles came out my mouth". Was shocked. I always find it weird when he talks about events that occurred at a time when he wasn't able to talk.

Drank bubble mixture - I am such a bad mother! I promise, I do lock up all the cleaning products!

We have Frigidaire items in NZ, so Leati may or may not be in the States...

3andnomore Fri 27-Jul-07 21:17:41

hm...it's funny really, because over here coldwater sterilisation of Babythings, seems to be much more done , and now MIlton is carcogenic....alhtough, was told they took out the formaldehyde (the carcogenic part) due to laws...would thing the same goes for washing up liquid...
surely just because you don't rinse dishes that were washed in highly diluted washing up liquid is not compareable to drinking pure washing up liquid....
hohum

YANBU. I've had 'remind' my Auntie that the dishes couldn't be put away yet because they hadn't been rinsed. Washing up liquid is thought to be carcinagenic. We're not supposed to be drinking it. I remeber being disgusted that they didn't rinse at my dch's playgroup.

For the record, I wash up, stack on draining board, then rinse out bowl & fill with hot water, put all the dishes in the bowl, wash down draining board & re-stack to dry. Rinsing takes one bowl of water & no time at all.

3andnomore Fri 27-Jul-07 21:08:50

lol...indeed...

elkiedee Fri 27-Jul-07 21:05:46

legalalien, I've had female flatmates who dumped stuff in the sink as well in the past. My (male) dp does it now and it drives me crazy, he does do most of the washing up and it's so totally not the way I would do it that I have to stay out of the way and avoid seeing it, or we just fight. The other thing is that now we have a baby, that habit is even more annoying, as it's more likely he'll have to stop for a while after cluttering up the sink to deal with a baby interruption.

Who would have thought washing up could be such an interesting thread ?

LazyWoman Fri 27-Jul-07 16:27:59

I always thought it was just a "Northern" thing - my parents, siblings etc. don't rinse but they do dry off with a tea towel.

I've lived "down south" for 20 odd years now. I can't be bothered drying off as well as washing, so the dishes that don't end up in the dishwasher get very neatly stacked on the draining board - after rinsing of course.

I don't leave the tap running though. And I do shower after having a bath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now