to ask my MIL to rinse dishes after washing up with Fairy

(250 Posts)
Oriole Wed 25-Jul-07 17:48:08

My MIL often offer to do the washing-up when she is staying with us. At first I was happy with this, but soon I noticed that she didn't rinse them off after washing with Fairy in the sink. I had a talk with her about this, still I see some foam in salad bowls and cups.

Is it unreasonable to ask my MIL again to rinse dishes after washing up with Fairy?

Spidermama Thu 26-Jul-07 22:11:42

That's true frayed. All that sexy film of glistening bubbles on shiney crockery.

FrayedKnot Thu 26-Jul-07 21:39:30

I blame the hands that do dishes - they never rinsed, did they.

Spidermama Thu 26-Jul-07 21:29:38

Meile as well. < sigh! >

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 21:25:13

Leaty, seems to be an american model, and not available in the UK Or I just couldn't find it, lol!

And legal...now having to leave a Miele Dishwaasher behind...that is tragic

notasheep Thu 26-Jul-07 19:54:08

Sounds like Anthea is corrupting us
God,I hate the smell of Fairy.
I am one household who wont use it

amidaiwish Thu 26-Jul-07 19:50:14

oh my parents have that cutlery tray thing
can't stand it!
prob because my sister is SO anal and everything has to be "grouped" and facing the right way. ffs. takes ages.

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 19:49:40

legalalien
That is such a tragedy .

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 19:35:50

I had a Miele dishwasher at our old house with a cutlery tray at the top that you put the cutlery into lying on its side. it was GREAT.

I had to leave it behind when we moved

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 18:39:29

Fridgidaire....Professional Series
Aqua surge with speed clean

That is everything it says on it so I think that the type. It was recommended at the appliance store, I love it and so do my kids.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 18:20:56

Leati. which one is that then...I mean, not that I want a new dishwasher right now (well, I would want one, but well, can't really justify a new one, lol), but might come in handy when I do need to buy another one

I prefer washing up with a sponge, lol....but seeing that I only ever wash up once a day and therefore only use it once before it goes into the wash...not a problem I suppose....lol....oh and yes, drying them before they go into the laundry basket is important, otherwise the smell....shudder....

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 18:05:03

I just bought a new Dishwasher with a garbage disposal at the bottom. That thing is a machine, everything is clean. You can put a yucky disgusting pan in there and 45 minutes later it clean. Oh and it rinses.

Oh and that thing with the dirty washcloth...gross...
I pull out a new washcloth everyday and hang the old on over the washing machine until I do laundry. I hang it because it damp and I don't want it to get mildewy. I don't use sponges (germ holders). And I always take showers as do most people I know.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 17:48:05

lol and me
oh and lol legal...well, seing that you asked...in my house I stack dirty dishes to the left of my sink, then wash in the sink and my draining board is on the right hand side...lol...no idea if this is to any etiqutte but am I bovvered...lol....
but urgh about stacking dirty dishes all in a bowl and filling that with water and wash up like that...now that is yuk!

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 17:03:23

and lots of other people from further down the thread but I don't have time to name them all!

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 17:01:03

That'll be Katy and me then.

And the combined population of Australia and NZ, and a to be determined (or geographically pinned down) bunch of Brits.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 26-Jul-07 16:58:03

i am in the gang of the none mental people who don't rinse clean dishes and who dry them on tea towels.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:50:18

"you're"
What is it about MN that fries my brain?
(Don't answer that)

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:49:56

So your in our gang?
[sticks tongue out at the other side]

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 26-Jul-07 16:45:01

i have never rinsed dishes after washing them. i have never tasted anything on them.

i also use teatowels.

you are all mental.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 26-Jul-07 16:22:01

lol at this thread - over 200 posts on washing up!

Rinsing is wasteful surely? And rinsing after bathing is a step too far - just have one or the other. Think of the environment.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:01:30

MyTwoPenceworth, that sounds like a very good system.

Tinker Thu 26-Jul-07 16:00:39

I wash teh cleanest things first, as taught that domestic science

MyTwopenceworth Thu 26-Jul-07 15:58:59

I sort the dishes into piles, then wash each type and put them on the side. Once everything is washed, I drain the bowl and refil it with clean warm water, then I rinse everything in that one bowlful and stack them on the drainer. Everything clean, well rinsed and minimum water.

I hate going for a drink and taking a sip and tasting washing up liquid. yuk.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 15:58:45

[last twenty minutes spent telling self not to type controversial question about who knows most about dish etiquette]

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:57:54

LHS of the sink
good point, another big of mine is people who put the dirty dishes ON THE DRAINING BOARD - my db is clean for the clean dishes to go on
(I really need to go and get a life!)

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:56:38

Oh no, have I created another great MN divide??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now