thinking I should have been seated next to my three-year-old on this flight?

(683 Posts)
nappyrat Sat 10-Sep-16 21:41:47

Cheap (orange) airline. Normally v good when travelling with kids - speedy boarding, say they'll sit you with kid/s etc.

Flew out recently & they said a 'technical error' had mistakenly sat me in a different row(!!) to my 3 year old. They fixed it on board (after much grumbling by several passengers about not moving from seats they've paid extra to book to sit together (fair enough!)). But fixed, fairly stress free.

Return flight today, I was sat across the aisle from DS. Their handling agent told me that this is considered 'sat together'?! Erm...really?! confused Anyway, handling agent refused to seat us together. Cue quite a bit of 'discussing' with them why this was not on IMO. No budging. Decided to leave it & ask the flight crew when we boarded. Who eventually sorted it - v kind older couple agreed to move seats.

Before I let loose with said orange airline's customer services, AIBU to think that sorting across the aisle from a 3 yr old is not appropriate?! DS was wailing, I had to bend across aisle to comfort, there were good chunks of time during boarding when I couldn't see DS because ppl stood in between us in aisle. Just bloody stressful quite frankly. And not what I'd expect from this - or to be bloody honest - any - airline.

Opinions please mumsnet!

witsender Sat 10-Sep-16 21:42:37

Can you not book seats?

Soubriquet Sat 10-Sep-16 21:43:32

Did you pre book your seats or assumed they would sit you together?

Gmbk Sat 10-Sep-16 21:43:36

Book seats if you want to be next to each other.

FarelyKnuts Sat 10-Sep-16 21:43:55

Why didn't you book?

OliviaBenson Sat 10-Sep-16 21:44:34

Book seats if you want to guarantee it.

Itrytoohard Sat 10-Sep-16 21:44:35

If you didn't book them don't complain. hmm

BlackHillsofDakota Sat 10-Sep-16 21:44:45

You should have paid to book seats like the other people that ended up having to move to accommodate you being cheap

FuzzyOwl Sat 10-Sep-16 21:44:50

Why didn't you pay extra to sit together since there was that option and other passengers did so?

Alyx80 Sat 10-Sep-16 21:44:58

You should have pre booked your seats. I hate paying but do so to ensure the six of us are sitting together.

WussyWat Sat 10-Sep-16 21:45:15

So book seats like everyone else, why risk it? It really isn't that expensive to choose your own seats, well worth it to save the hassle you've had.

nappyrat Sat 10-Sep-16 21:45:27

Yes. You can, but they say they'll sit you together - also... surely it is beyond the realms of reasonableness to expect a 3 ur old to sit on their own...? hmmhmm

TheFairyCaravan Sat 10-Sep-16 21:45:40

Seating across the aisle is sitting next to your child according to the CAA guidelines.

You should have pre-booked your seats if you wanted to be sat in the seat adjacent to them.

mineofuselessinformation Sat 10-Sep-16 21:46:09

Just pay.

nappyrat Sat 10-Sep-16 21:46:14

Fairy...interesting! Thsnks

WipsGlitter Sat 10-Sep-16 21:46:20

If you want to sit beside your child you pay to do that.

But you know that.

justjuanmorebeer Sat 10-Sep-16 21:46:37

YAB completely unreasonable. This is why you need to book your seats before if traveling with children. I would think it is obvious. In Easyjet isn't it only an extra £4-5 to book your seat?

OlennasWimple Sat 10-Sep-16 21:46:50

I think pp have said on previous threads about seating on planes that immediately next to, over the aisle or the row in front or behind as considered as "sat with" your DC.

Hamiltoes Sat 10-Sep-16 21:47:02

I thought it was just common sense to book a seat next to your child if you expect to be sat next to your child hmm

You'd be silly to complain.

nappyrat Sat 10-Sep-16 21:47:03

Didn't pay extra because I genuinely did not even consider that they'd not sit me with that age of child.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 10-Sep-16 21:47:21

Pre booking to sit together can still mean across the aisle.

OddBoots Sat 10-Sep-16 21:47:36

Across the aisle, in front or behind is together as far as the rules go. It sounds like you didn't know that though, maybe it should be better advertised.

Soubriquet Sat 10-Sep-16 21:47:52

To me, sitting across an aisle would be sitting together too. It's a short gap

Next time make sure you pre-book

Why should other people lose money they have spent to move because you didn't pay?

LyndaNotLinda Sat 10-Sep-16 21:48:00

It's considered 'sitting together' if you are in the same row but can be across the aisle or you can be sitting in front/behind but on same side of the aisle.

I don't book seats if there's lots of us going because there'll usually be 2 right next to one another but I do if it's just me and DS going.

You need to pay if you want to sit next to one another. That's why the flight is cheap.

DailyFaily Sat 10-Sep-16 21:48:02

I wouldn't want to be sat across the aisle from my 3 year old but then I would have paid the extra to choose seats and ensure we got two together - these flights are cheap for a reason, one of them being that you have to pay for anything extra including ensuring that you get to sit together. I don't think you'll get anywhere with customer services.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now