AIBU to think Always don't actually employ women in their marketing & design teams

(58 Posts)
littlebrownbag Tue 05-Jul-16 10:10:57

Am currently dealing with a runny fanny (thanks perimenopause), so to maintain dignity at work in my non-black trousers am using panty liners. Annoyingly, I've managed to pick up a scented variety, which I didn't realise until I got a waft of sickly scent from my damp crotch.

Persevering with them (I got a giant value pack and I hate throwing things away), even though it's making all my trousers stink so I'm washing them MORE often than normal. But I've just had a mortifying realisation - the scent is the same one used in the sodding cat litter! Going to have to make a lunchtime run to the shops aren't I?

The whole scented sanitary protection thing is bad enough (wet does not equal smelly) without it giving people subconscious association with picking up cat shit. AIBU to wonder who actually thinks women want to smell like this?

AgentProvocateur Tue 05-Jul-16 10:32:52

Vile, aren't they? It's that same smell they use in nappy bags (or used to 21 years ago, when I last had a child in nappies!) What scent lab ever thought it was a good smell?

ffon Tue 05-Jul-16 10:36:01

Horrible chemically nastiness isn't it. Makes me heave.
I use always dailies p.liners. They're good.

misskatamari Tue 05-Jul-16 10:38:48

I hate it! I've just bought some pads in tesco and I'm praying they're not scented as there was a strong flowery whiff emanating from something in the aisle, but I was rushing with a toddler so didn't investigate too thoroughly. I don't want a fake flowery fanny!

notamummy10 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:45:05

I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind the scent... I like the fresh ones!!

FruitCockatiel Tue 05-Jul-16 10:46:16

It's awful isn't it, who wants to smell like an outdated magic tree?

Yet they insist that their 'market research' indicated that women wanted scented pads.

MollyTwo Tue 05-Jul-16 10:48:45

Not me either, don't really get the angst over the smell. I think it actually smells nice. Only on mn!

ridiculouspirate Tue 05-Jul-16 10:49:44

I think you might be notamummy!

They're awful. I always choose anything from that aisle very carefully to avoid the honking perfumed stuff.

Yanbu OP, marketing craziness. angry

Babysafari Tue 05-Jul-16 10:57:29

Yanbu. They're vile.

Why would anyone want their bits to smell like a toilet air freshener?

I only buy the body form pink ones now.

notamummy10 Tue 05-Jul-16 11:00:32

I do agree about the marketing though, the only time the period blood will smell is when it's old blood! But surely you wouldn't get to that stage if you're regularly changing pads.

I do hate the floral scents however, the Fresh ones are more bearable!!

Pettywoman Tue 05-Jul-16 11:01:07

Ugh they're awful. Who wants people to be able to smell that you're wearing a sanitary towel?

BakewellSliceAgain Tue 05-Jul-16 11:05:14

Somone must be buying g them. It's no longer me though

SapphireStrange Tue 05-Jul-16 11:07:25

Horrid. Like being in the back of a dodgy minicab.

I get the worthy ones from organic shops. I can't find ANY big mainstream brand ones that don't stink.

hollinhurst84 Tue 05-Jul-16 11:08:49

Sapphire - lillets pads are unscented

specialsubject Tue 05-Jul-16 11:09:29

the reek is awful.

tesco or wilkinson sell un-stinky ones.

VestalVirgin Tue 05-Jul-16 11:13:06

The organic brand Naty was founded by two women. Needless to say, no scented nonsense.

Not sure about whether women are employed in any other companies that produce organic pads, but I've never seen organic brand ones with scent.

WeAreTheOthers Tue 05-Jul-16 11:14:38

Totally not being unreasonable. Never liked the scented ones...

Rachel0Greep Tue 05-Jul-16 11:15:19

I don't like the scented ones. Thanks to MN, I was forewarned of their existence. I was still able to find unscented ones here for ages, but it's getting harder to avoid them.

AlpacaLypse Tue 05-Jul-16 11:15:48

I've actually asked HQ if MN would be up for running a campaign about this. It was with reference to this thread

And this was their reply.

Hi there AlpacaLypse,

Thanks very much for getting in touch.

Would you like to start a thread about this in Site Stuff and see what the general feeling is about this?

Best wishes and thank you again,

Emmanuelle
MNHQ

I then got slightly swamped by work, real life etc etc. However, I'm starting the thread now, here it is - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2678389-The-horror-of-scented-sanpro?watched=1

Rachel0Greep Tue 05-Jul-16 11:15:57

...to avoid the scented ones.

SapphireStrange Tue 05-Jul-16 11:16:38

hollin, are they? Thanks; I'll check them out.

hollinhurst84 Tue 05-Jul-16 11:17:45

Yep, I prefer their tampons too, they don't expand lengthways like tampax!
Always silk are also unscented

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 05-Jul-16 11:18:57

I think it's a fairly well known fact now that MNers actually don't represent the views of the public in general, so I guess the companies are working on the basis that in RL the majority of women either prefer it, or don't give a stuff either way.

JeanClaudeJaquettie Tue 05-Jul-16 11:22:14

It seems like lately they've gone from labelling the scented ones as being scented to only labelling the un scented ones as being un scented! So scented is becoming the default and you have to assume they are unless stated otherwise which is lovely hmm

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 05-Jul-16 11:24:23

I wanted Always extra long pants liners the other day. They don't say they're scented. They say they're 'fresh' or some such bollocks. Luckily I sniffed them before I bought them, but honestly it actually makes me angry.

Who the fuck thinks scent by your foof is a good idea? It makes me itch just thinking about it.

And btw, my massive local Asda didn't have any other extra long pant liners. So I have to use two normal sized ones.

So annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now