to think disabled parking spaces are there for a reason, not for the lazy

(87 Posts)
stopandstandup123 Wed 30-Mar-16 23:08:39

We have a Tesco express at the end of our road. It has one disabled parking space by the front door of the store. The non-disabled parking is at the back of the store, so a bit of a walk to the shop, but not excessive.

It really rankles me to see white van man, young, fit, clearly not disabled drivers, young mums sending child into store, etc using this only space as it is so close to the door of the store. Not a disabled badge in sight. Meanwhile, elderly and frail drivers make the long walk from the car park at the rear. I have seen a driver pull into the disabled space, stay in the car with engine running, while the passenger pops in for supplies. Unbelievable!

This disabled parking space is rarely empty, and there cannot be that many disabled drivers in our town.

AIBU to think we need to leave disabled spaces for those who need them.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 30-Mar-16 23:17:50

YNBU. It's the epitome of bad manners, and selfishness. These people could become disabled themselves one day. I bet they'd be the first to piss and moan, if. They couldn't get a space.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Wed 30-Mar-16 23:19:03

Disabled spaces are for those registered disabled..... Not even the 'elderley and frail' if without a blue badge

Samcro Wed 30-Mar-16 23:19:09

elderly and frail people are not always disabled. the only people who can park in that bay
so yanbu but the shit heads won't care and will keep parking there

stopandstandup123 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:02:09

This really is the epitome of bad manners to me also Ilive. It really rankles with me and is on a par with the fit but busy (or on their mobile phone) barging ahead of the frail elderly through the doors of shops or into lifts, nearly knocking them flying.

I used to be proud of our country's good manners. I need to take the dog to the park to recover. Most dog walkers say hello, nod or smile as you pass, most pick up the dog poo, and it re-affirms the nicer side of the human race to me!

sashh Thu 31-Mar-16 09:09:20

I wish shops would refuse to serve people who park in them without a blue badge.

I have found completely blocking them in to quite effective.

catsinthecraddle Thu 31-Mar-16 09:14:24

Of course YANBU

This should be a subject at school, as common sense doesn't seem to exist anymore. Too many people think it's completely ok to park in a disabled space if the driver stays in the car. I don't know why, but here you go.

Learning how to behave like a civilised human should be a mandatory GCSE subject. You won't change the attitude of morons who are willingly unpleasant, but you would at least educate the ones who don't mean to be rude but don't have a clue.

PPie10 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:16:12

Yanbu I really wonder how people just go this and carry on as normal, shame on them. Wonder if they even think of the purpose of the spaces and not feel bad about still using them.

Shineyshoes10 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:18:46

YABveryU to judge anyone as clearly not disabled when not all disabilities visible. Young people can be disabled too.

YANBU to think people without a BB should not park in a disabled space. I think shops are the worst places for it.

VertigoNun Thu 31-Mar-16 09:20:09

You don't know who has what condition. Fair enough if you make the effort to look for a blue badge. You would be surprised who doesn't look for one and assumes no wheelchair or old person = no problem.

kiwimumof2boys Thu 31-Mar-16 09:20:21

Yes! My dear friend is disabled and i know it really annoys her - given that she has to pay for a disability permit.

lavenderdoilly Thu 31-Mar-16 09:20:22

We have a couple of disabled bays in school car park which are used by able bodied parents when there are at least two parents who are disabled and struggle to park. I know all about non obvious conditions because I have MS but I am not a blue badge owner and so would NEVER use a disabled bay without one even on a bad day.

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Thu 31-Mar-16 09:22:44

This is another of the reasons we are lucky i cant drive grin dh is a lot less confrontational, i'd be blocking people in every day!

JustWantAnswers Thu 31-Mar-16 09:23:07

YANBU to think non-blue badge holders should not be using a disabled space.

YABvU to assume that disabled means frail and elderly. Firstly because not all frail and elderly are disabled, secondly because you can be disabled at any age. I know a youngish someone (20's) who has too little feeling in his legs (along with spinal damage and damage to heart and lungs) to drive a car with the pedals, so he has hand controls. He can't walk far and only on flat surfaces. Yet to see him walk on a flat surface most people don't realise just how bad he is.

blankmind Thu 31-Mar-16 09:41:00

YABvU to assume that disabled means frail and elderly
Absolutely!

nokidshere Thu 31-Mar-16 09:42:03

I sometimes park in a disabled space if there are no other spaces free near the store even though I don't have a bb.

I can't walk more than a few yards, and am in constant pain, but the powers that be have decided that I don't need a bb.

I don't look disabled so am in no position to judge others but I do agree that if the driver isn't getting out of the car then they should park elsewhere

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 31-Mar-16 09:46:07

But you have no blue badge!

toohardtothinkofaname Thu 31-Mar-16 09:46:37

catsinthecraddle it's up to the parents surely? Too many people expecting schools to raise their kids whilst paying them peanuts & treating them poorly.

Ludwsys Thu 31-Mar-16 09:47:21

YANBU to think Bob holders should be the only ones using the space

But as others have said YABU to assume disabilities are visible. My mum is definitely one you'd be moaning about.

toohardtothinkofaname Thu 31-Mar-16 09:51:51

nokidshere no BB, no parking.

honkinghaddock Thu 31-Mar-16 09:57:27

What matters is whether or not there is bb. I don't think people should be parking in a disabled space without one. I didn't park in them with ds until he got his badge - which meant that some places were inaccessible for us.

hownottofuckup Thu 31-Mar-16 09:59:20

If you don't have a BB, you shouldn't use the disabled bays.

mamamea Thu 31-Mar-16 09:59:46

"Disabled spaces are for those registered disabled..... Not even the 'elderley and frail' if without a blue badge"

The blue badge system does not apply in private car parks.

If you are elderly and frail then you might very well not have got around to organising a blue badge, it can take a while, and there is no reason why you should not use a privately owned disabled car park space, if you feel it necessary.

ArmchairTraveller Thu 31-Mar-16 10:05:08

'Learning how to behave like a civilised human should be a mandatory GCSE subject.'

But the theory is no good, it needs to be one of those lost skills resurrected in the real world. If they are old enough to drive, they are surely old enough to attend evening civilisation classes.

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Thu 31-Mar-16 10:12:38

Actually, even though i have a bb i have no problem with people like nokids using it. The powers that be can be arseholes and it is pure luck that i have one and she doesnt 😠

But it would obviously be impossible to police that. Not that anyone actually polices bb spaces anyway, just leave them being abused constantly and fuck the disabled people who cant park because of a selfish white van man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now