... to think that the DWP is not fit for purpose? PIP cancelled for no reason.

(31 Posts)
Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 16-Jun-15 16:13:59

Hi, DF is terminally ill and entitled to PIP. All confirmed in writing and payments are being made. Then we get a letter to say that as his circumstances have changed, they're cancelling it. But his circumstances haven't changed! (Well, he's more poorly than he was before, but he's still having the same level of care.) I called last month to query, they were hugely apologetic and said payments would be reinstated. They said they'd call with an explanation as to why payments were stopped. Neither promise fulfilled. I called again today and got passed from department to department and was repeatedly told no one knew what was going on or 'we are unable to comment'.

Someone was meant to call me back within the hour and guess what? They didn't bother. He is absolutely entitled to this payment due to his condition, as confirmed by the DWP themselves, his social worker, Macmillan, everyone! Why mess with people's lives like this?

LurkingHusband Tue 16-Jun-15 16:19:10

Very sorry for your distress.

Email your MP.

www.theyworkforyou.com/mps/

Viviennemary Tue 16-Jun-15 16:24:43

That is very bad indeed. I agree with e-mailing your MP as a matter of urgency and also phoning them again to say you have done this. Hope things get sorted out quickly.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 16-Jun-15 16:25:54

That's a great idea Lurking. I was considering sending a solicitor's letter but hadn't thought of that. As if we didn't have enough to worry about right now. That's the insulting thing.

ChuffinAda Tue 16-Jun-15 16:26:17

I wonder if they meant to cancel someone with the same name but did his in error

Sorry you're going through this

PeterParkerSays Tue 16-Jun-15 16:29:03

Can you contact your MP over this? Terminally ill constituent being messed around like this, they'll be on to it like a shot.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Jun-15 16:36:59

Email your MP asap. What a bunch of arseholes to do this to your father.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 16-Jun-15 16:38:30

Fuckers. No advice as PPs have covered it.

PattiODoors Tue 16-Jun-15 16:50:16

Absolutely MP

Shocking. I am so sorry.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 16-Jun-15 17:20:36

Thank you. I started crying on the phone and the supervisor I was speaking to even conceded that it was bad but still couldn't help! I've emailed his MP so we'll see if that brings anything.

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:22:13

PIP is a hideous nightmare and the departments are carefully layered to make sure you never get to speak to anyone with any type of authority. Ditto Atos. I wish I could give some helpful advice, but can only wish you the best. I got my MP involved with a complaint against Atos and it did speed up the process immensely so hopefully this will be a similar situation.

PeterParkerSays Tue 16-Jun-15 18:51:00

You are also a constituent affected by this, so contact your MP as well if you don't get an adequate response from your dad's MP. The last thing you all need now.

Loletta Tue 16-Jun-15 18:59:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JsOtherHalf Tue 16-Jun-15 19:19:08

I know of someone where it took over 9 months to get assessed for PIP. They were undergoing treatment for cancer when they first applied, and were terminally ill by the time they were assessed.

MP was involved.

MrsNextDoor Tue 16-Jun-15 19:29:00

This is terrible! Terrible!

I am so sorry OP! I have heard of a case similar but the woman concerned had no family support whatsoever!

I am just MAD on your DF's behalf...and yours of course. Go to the bloody press! Never mind your MP!

LokiBear Tue 16-Jun-15 19:30:01

Is there an ombudsman for PIP companies? If there is, log a complaint immediately and then phone the company and tell them that you have. I have only ever used an ombudsman once with an energy company who messed me around. The complaint to energy watch meant that suddenly, they were able to help. Also, tweet them with your complaint. Make it as public as possible. You will find that they sit up and take notice very quickly. Agree with the others about the mp too. Good luck.flowers

Mistigri Tue 16-Jun-15 20:20:35

This should be shocking but it's no longer even surprising.

As well as the MPs I would make a bloody big public fuss. Do you know any journalists?

If you search DWP on Twitter there are two accounts, for the DWP itself and for the DWP Press Office.

feebeecat Tue 16-Jun-15 20:45:18

PIP is a huge pile of unworkable shite, despite what IDS says.
Complain very loudly, get MP - both yours and your fathers involved - that usually spurs them on a bit. If you can find out who is in charge of whichever office is dealing with it, try and copy them in too - they hate being bothered by stuff going wrong.
Sorry about your DF. flowers

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 16-Jun-15 20:50:58

MP is definitely worth a go.

If they stand by this decision you need to ask for mandatory reconsideration within a month of it being made. Unless you do this, you won't be able to appeal.

GailTheGoldfish Tue 16-Jun-15 21:28:11

YANBU - I have to deal with DWP regarding another scheme, Access to Work. An utter, utter shambles. They are totally disorganised and make errors frequently. They don't respond, they just hide behind a call centre who can only take messages and can't put you through directly to anyone. I don't see any evidence that they have any real insight into the issues people face that necessitate applications for support. It's quite scary that they have power over what is a lifeline to many people. Sorry for your situation and make as much noise as you can x

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 16-Jun-15 21:48:30

Thanks everyone. I've gone through all correspondence with a fine tooth comb and think I've worked out what has happened. When DF moved into a nursing home, the care element of the payment was stopped and he was just entitled to the mobility element. This is all acknowledged in various letters from DWP. I informed them of the change of circumstances when he moved into the home and they reduced his payments accordingly. However, he was then sent a letter to say that from 6th April (I'm guessing new tax year?) he was entitled to what is now called daily living and the mobility elements of the payment. I suspect that he's only actually entitled to the mobility part and that the daily living element is an error. As correspondence is still going to his old address, I don't check it daily. That's definitely a failing on my part. Maybe I could have picked up on this sooner. However, we as a family have done absolutely everything by the book, not claimed for more than he is entitled to, and informed DWP of everything we need to. If they've overpaid in error, then they need to tell us so, not just cancel payments indefinitely, the implication being that we have done something wrong!

DF is paralysed, incontinent and has trouble speaking. His memory is shot to pieces, with rare moments of lucidity. The only 'change in circumstances' that I can see having happened is that he is much more ill than he was. I am so annoyed that no one can tell us what is happening, why, and that I have been actively lied to on the phone. I guess I'll call again tomorrow and hope that his MP steps up. Failing that, I'm going to go to the local paper and then possibly the nationals. I would be ashamed to work for the DWP! What a shower of sh*te!

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 16-Jun-15 21:49:24

testing - sadly there probably won't be time for an appeal. He only has a few weeks left.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 16-Jun-15 22:49:49

And so I just checked all bank info and he hasn't been overpaid, so the whole thing gets more and more weird!

Dowser Tue 16-Jun-15 22:54:22

They stopped mums AA allowance saying there had been a change in circumstances.

We fought for it and got it back.it was backdated for all the months she was without it.

If you think you are being unfairly treated fight back forums seem very good.

Dowser Tue 16-Jun-15 22:55:45

Ooops. I might have given the wrong forum. The one above may be the car parking fight back forum.

Aka pepipoo

Fightback4 justice , the Manchester one is the one I meant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now