SAHMs of school aged children

(85 Posts)
Owllady Tue 19-Mar-13 13:59:14

aibu to think this is a major perk of being one? where no-one else can see you doing it? and no-one can ask for some?

I have just melted 20g of Luscious Orange Willies Cacao chocolate in a ramekin and then dipped a banana into it and ate the lot. Chocolate all warm and runny and then solidifying and sticking to teeth

This is what it is all about and only 3 weightwatchers points

This is the life wink

Timetoask Tue 19-Mar-13 14:42:14

I've just come back from my weekly shopping, I am now tucking into a yummy chocolate icecream with chunky bits, mmmmmm. grin
<disclaimer: I do NoT do this all the time, promise!>

Owllady Tue 19-Mar-13 14:58:32

it has made me feel so tried i just had a power nap on the sofa under a quilt

weewifey40 Tue 19-Mar-13 15:04:26

my guilty pleasure, when I was a sahm to school aged kids, was to have a daytime nap. I'd set the alarm so I couldn't oversleep and forget to pick kids up, and then have a good long snooze in a totally silent house.
Oh and reading books... Another guilty pleasure.
I'll always remember my time as the sahm of school aged kids as some of the best years of my life!

razamatazz Tue 19-Mar-13 17:58:14

sorry to be rude but (unless you have money to burn or just can't) why wouldnt you work?? I don't really see why sitting around eating is something to be proud of?

TheChimpParadox Tue 19-Mar-13 18:02:17

have a wine and chill razamatazz

Chandon Tue 19-Mar-13 18:08:09

Raz, let me turn the question around, why would you work if you could be at home dozing under a quilt, eating ice cream and lobster bisque?

I am getting some great inspiration on here grin

BegoniaBampot Tue 19-Mar-13 18:08:20

why should I work? keeps a job for someone who needs it.

BegoniaBampot Tue 19-Mar-13 18:10:08

and i went for a lovely walk before i sat on my arse and had a lovely lunch thanks.

shewhowines Tue 19-Mar-13 18:10:39

YABU

20g is not enough.

dublindee Tue 19-Mar-13 18:15:25

I used to do some of these. Then DS3 came along... So now, I have gorgeous baby cuddles and shower him with lots of attention completely guilt-free as the other two aren't there to feel any jealousy. I'm treasuring these cuddle-filled days with my last gorgeous little man and being a SAHM has made it possible. Plus, when he naps I get to watch MY telly!!!

weewifey40 Tue 19-Mar-13 18:15:43

why would anyone work, if they didn't need to?!
When I was a sahm for school age kids it was just great to be there all the time for inset days, numerous school holidays, assemblies, kids off sick etc..easy to deal with, no stressful juggling required. And I've done the stressy juggling. Lots of it.

LadySybilPussPolham Tue 19-Mar-13 18:16:31

There's always got to be one to spoil the fun...
I'm currently enjoying 5 hours per week on my own now my youngest has started preschool. In between racing around like a lunatic trying to get housework done, I enjoy the supreme luxury of watching Call the Midwife while ironing, plus a cup of tea and a pack of biscuits without anyone sat on my lap.

TooYappy Tue 19-Mar-13 18:22:01

Oh good I come under the category of 'just cant work' !

Yes this is when I eat my cream cakes and Easter Eggs, my Ds has started checking the bin when he comes in to see what goodies I have ate, I have started hiding the evidence.

dimsum123 Tue 19-Mar-13 18:25:31

God I love being SAHM to school age kids. I also sometimes have afternoon naps. Only once I slept through the alarm and was very late picking the DC's up from school.

I go swimming and eat loads after and then it's nap time!

Would never want to give it up for work!

Nom nom NOM

TooYappy Tue 19-Mar-13 18:40:52

I had my nap this morning, sent the DC to school and jumped back into bed and woke at lunch-time then had a nice long bubble bath.

It's vair tiring though, I am vari sleepy again all this eating and cleaning hopefully DS2 will come to bed with me soon and I can read my book and lie down for cuddles.

and I have to do it all again tomorrow

doctorhamster Tue 19-Mar-13 18:46:24

This will be me in 18 months and I cannot bloody wait. By September next year I willhave been doing the sahm bit for 6.5 years. I deserve a break dammit!!!

Crawling Tue 19-Mar-13 18:49:35

Grrr I have 2 children too young for school and 1 school age, oh to have some piece in the toilet and being able to sit and eat chocolate without cries, or watch tv without getting up 50 times. Im envy

Owllady Tue 19-Mar-13 18:51:35

<snort> at me being proud of sitting around eating

Owllady Tue 19-Mar-13 18:54:23

tomorrow is gone with the wind day smile a lobster bisque

I would have cava champagne but I have to do the school run <feels sorry for self>

dublindee Tue 19-Mar-13 18:56:02

Lol at owl lady

Champagnecharleyismyname Tue 19-Mar-13 18:58:13

Well jell!

cherrypez Tue 19-Mar-13 18:59:48

Oh man...so jealous! I'm a teacher, so I NEVER get days like this, if I'm at home so are the kids!! Although I am very lucky to have the holidays off before someone moans I'm being ungrateful!

TooYappy Tue 19-Mar-13 19:00:41

I'm unsure what to do tomorrow, I have from 8am-3.40pm to myself. sad

I'm totally milking it tbh as then the DC have those blasted Easter holidays for 2 whole weeks which is the time I would quite like a job.

At least we will have chocolate. Mine are not even home now, one is at is grandads until 8pm the other out until 8.30pm, I really only need to be here from 3.40-4pm then 8pm-8am grin

Startail Tue 19-Mar-13 19:00:58

Children free baths in the morning, instead of when your dog tired after they finally go to bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now