Did I just have a go at a person with Tourette's?

(107 Posts)
MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 18-Mar-13 13:23:58

Ok...

Was just queuing to get into the bakery with my friend's DS in his pushchair. A group of 4 people were in front of me. One of the females was talking really quite loudly and saying "fucking" "cunt" "twat" repeatedly. Her friends were laughing at her conversation. One of her friends then purposely knocked her bag off her shoulder. She responded by calling him a fat, four-eyed cunt.

I did get the red mist and asked her to please stop sounding her potty mouth off so loudly and said little ears are present, motioning towards friend's DS. Then she went "I've got Tourette's, you stupid cow" I did hmm face and her friend sheepishly backed her up and said that she did have Tourette's.

I really don't think that she did. My old boss had Tourette's and he didn't just swear in the flow of normal conversation. I could be wrong and if I am, I will feel shitty.

It's not the first time I've asked people to stop swearing around kids. AIBU?

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Mar-13 21:00:38

That's quite alright one couldn't really be expected to know from a post or a fleeting chance meetinggrin

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 20-Mar-13 21:04:38

Oh come on!

I have experience of people with TS. I would say I'd be confident in being able to tell if someone has TS or whether they're just spouting off.

This is coming from me who won't judge parents with kids having tantrums/anyone who could be behaving out of the ordinary because of a MH issue... I'm really not one to have a pop at people who could potentially have a disability and my posting history on MN will back that up!

But sorry again anyway.

I am indeed a tit, tis true... grin Possibly a sausage shaped tit. <worried>

suebfg Wed 20-Mar-13 21:17:43

A young relative of mine has Tourettes and has started to swear with it, along with the tics and OCD type behaviour. His Mum thinks he has started to blame all his bad behaviour on his condition. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle - sometimes it's the Tourettes, sometimes it's just bad behaviour.

From what you've described though, it sounds like this person was just acting an idiot.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 20-Mar-13 22:33:39

Ah I knew it! Thanks Buppers grin

everlong Thu 21-Mar-13 07:08:49

Saying cunt fuck twat repeatedly isn't normal is it? And the fact that one of her friends purposely knocked her bag off her shoulder to me says they were winding her up to get her to swear.

So in that situation ywbu to say anything, it's pretty obvious something wasn't right.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 21-Mar-13 07:41:31

I think it's fairly obvious that she didn't have Tourettes. The only thing wrong with her is the delusion that she is the village bad gal. Thanks for your input though, everlong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now