for being totally freaked out husband has vomiting and diarrhea

(60 Posts)
monkeynuts123 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:02:10

Ok husband has vomiting and diarrhea and I am freaking out because I think it will be a matter of hours until it's my turn and then probably the kids. We have no support we can call on. I don't even know what to do tonight because he's holed up in the bedroom and I normally co-sleep there with baby once baby wakes around midnight and there's no way I'm getting in next to sick dh. What the hell will I do if both kids get it and I get it and he's incapacitated too. Does anyone think there's the smallest glimmer of hope that I might not get it? He's using one loo in the house and I've not been near it and nor have kids, haven't kissed for 3 days (separate topic!). I'm a bit health anxious anyway and this is sending me over the edge.

mrsjay Tue 19-Mar-13 21:35:18

keep him in solitary confinement wash hands bleach the toilet wash the childrens hands and spray door handles and maybe sleep in a different room, and stop panicking

Notalone Tue 19-Mar-13 21:28:46

pigsdofly - Are you emetaphobic too? I used to be util I got prescribed anti emetics for those times when I feel sick or when DS gets ill. Was wondering if there is a link between this and inability to burp as per the previous body thread?

OP - Have you considered going to the doctors to get some on prescription. I have stemetil prescribed and it has definitely saved me from being sick on a few occasions

FatPenguin Tue 19-Mar-13 19:25:59

I feel your pain, I have OCD and emetophobia so completely understand your fears. I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress too much - if I stress I feel sick then panic thinking I'm getting ill then feel sicker etc. Just keep bleaching everything, washing hands, seperate towels etc. Its good that he has a seperate loo to use. And as others have said keep disinfecting even when all symptoms gone.

idiot55 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:05:56

I completly get what you mean, keep going with the bleaching, milton etc for a week or so.

It can live on surfaces for a while

Mintyy Mon 18-Mar-13 23:19:01

That was an unpleasant and mighty ignorant little snipe about "grips" there ceeveebee.

Hope all ok at home op.

ceeveebee Mon 18-Mar-13 19:06:38

When my DTs had D&V recently, DS started on Weds, DD on Friday, me on the Monday. DH never got it. We all survived. Stock up on dioralyte and rice cakes. And grips.

EndoplasmicReticulum Mon 18-Mar-13 18:56:06

Last one we had there was a week between 1 boy getting it and the other. I'd just started to think we'd escaped.

MousyMouse Mon 18-Mar-13 18:09:21

sorry, not yet.
when we had it dc started wednesday morning, I followed from friday night and dh sunday night. dc2 escaped but had vile smelling farts for about a week.

shashep Mon 18-Mar-13 12:37:56

If it helps, ds(6) started 1am saturday morning, finished about 7pm. Then dh sunday 5pm, is ok now, and ds(7) about 10pm sunday night, seems ok now. I'm laundering like a madwoman and feeling sick, have eaten nothing today and little drinks so less to hurl. That is my preparation!! And wouldn't dream of asking for help unless we were all really incapacitated. If stuff is really manky just chuck it outside and deal with it later - a bit gross, but makes life easier.

monkeynuts123 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:08:32

So far so good! babies and I don't have it....hopefully....yet. Can anyone offer words of reason. DH started being ill 4am Saturday morning and is better now, as we're all in the clear now at 10.00 monday morning, do you think there's a chance we've escaped it? I'm sorry if this is dull to people I'm just worried.

pigsDOfly Sun 17-Mar-13 23:57:24

Yes Airwalk it is only V & D for many people, but if you're phobic about it there's nothing 'only' about it.

Like any phobia or anxiety unless you have that particular anxiety it's difficult for you to understand how hard it is to deal with.

Airwalk79 Sun 17-Mar-13 23:44:09

Erm, its d and v? No one died. Is this a real post?
Yes it's unpleasant and shitty, but its really not the end of the world!
How would you deal with it if one of you got something really bad? You just get on with it don't you, then life goes on. 😷

pigsDOfly Sun 17-Mar-13 22:55:13

Oh dear. I can fully sympathize. When my children were young I had a major fear of V & D. As soon as one of the children started showing symptoms I would start shaking and come out in a cold sweat.

One of my children caught shigella, which is a form of dysentery and is, or was at the time, a notifiable disease. It was brought to the school by one of the dinner ladies returning from a holiday. Most of the school went down with it and a few families were hospitalized.

When my daughter got it, I completely isolated her and, as others have said, washed, washed and washed everything. Every time she went to the loo I swabbed the whole thing down. I was terrified of any of the rest of us getting it.

None of us got it, and of course she recovered.

I took lots of deep breaths and thought about what was the worse that could happen.

Vomit can be cleaned up. Bedding can be washed. And if the mattress is ruined, it can be replaced. It's not the end of the world

It's unpleasant, but you will get through it. Trust me.

As someone else said. If you get it, your OH will be well enough to cope with the children.

I had to cope with it one my own as my now exH was worse than useless and left me cope with all that sort of thing on my own.

Just take it calmly. You can cope.

Good luck. Hope you don't get it.

AudrinaAdare Sun 17-Mar-13 22:27:07

Oh Christ, I do feel for you and yy to doing everything you can to prevent it but as the adult who isn't sick you are putting yourself at risk cleaning and bleaching.

DD had noro at Christmas but didn't pass it to anyone else because she took basic hygiene precautions and she is only twelve years old. It isn't surprising that people who clean up after grown men get ill themselves, surely confused

Fanjango Sun 17-Mar-13 22:25:31

You may not get it. I have 4 kids and a partner that catches everything going. I havn't had d+v for 6 years now, the kids get it at least twice a year. Guess I have built up an immunity, maybe you have too. It's not that bad, though, most people can struggle through, it's only some that suffer that badly.

silverstaresatnight Sun 17-Mar-13 22:22:33

I usually notice a trend.. Pts are ill, I spend extra time with them and lo and behold next day is big outbreak and we have to wear gloves etc but of course wasn't wearing them the day before. Haven't caught it even after examining up to twenty people with the bug!

diddl Sun 17-Mar-13 22:21:59

I've been with my husband 20yrs & never caught anything from him!

silverstaresatnight Sun 17-Mar-13 22:19:58

silverstaresatnight Sun 17-Mar-13 22:19:45

I sympathise but I work on the wards with regular outbreaks of no reovirus etc, I have never had it, well not properly anyway
Calm down and you will cope fine if you have to .

Shagmundfreud Sun 17-Mar-13 22:19:35

Look - its a bit of d&v, not cholera. None of you are going to die, even if you do contract it.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 17-Mar-13 22:15:17

I find that if children have it first, adults are pretty much guaranteed to get it because they are mopping up the vom. However if an adult gets it we can successfully quarantine ourselves (we are lucky that we have two toilets!). Infected person only uses one toilet, everybody washes their hands a lot and dettol everything.

Usually there is a time lag of about 24-48 hours between being infected and getting sick, so as pp has said, if you do come down with it then your husband should be sufficiently recovered to look after the children.

Having said that, I remember one occasion where husband and I both got struck down at exactly the same time, we were putting toddler son to bed in shifts between rushing off to be sick!

My parents do help if we get it, mainly by looking after quarantined children as they don't go back to school for 48 hours. We've passed bugs onto my dad before, but my mum never gets them, I think she must be immune. Or she just refuses to let them get her, she's a very stubborn woman.

PowerPants Sun 17-Mar-13 22:08:58

You will not necessarily get it - last time the children had it , we did not, despite doing all the soothing and cleaning and washing. We didn't have anyone to help, either, so i share your pain - however tis true that no one can really help in this situation!

Mintyy Sun 17-Mar-13 22:08:46

If the worst experience of your life was an 8 hour tummy bug then you should consider yourself a very lucky person indeed! smile

midastouch Sun 17-Mar-13 22:03:12

YANBU i spent hours during and after DP had this with bottles of dettol and my steam cleaner. Still caught it though sad was the worst experience of my life so i do hope you dont get it! Only lasted about 8 hours though, and then all i could eat was rice then a bit of toast for a week.

BarredfromhavingStella Sun 17-Mar-13 21:56:29

Try not to worry about it, DD had D&V but myself & DS got away with it , MIL was not so lucky. DH was away lucky bastard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now