To expect people to take there shoes off? Sorry rant ahead!

(327 Posts)
Damash12 Sat 16-Mar-13 22:07:46

We've recently had a new carpet and it's not f@@;ing rocket science to see we have added a shoe rack near the back door but why do people look at you with a put out expression when they ask the question "do I need to take my shoes off?" and you reply "yes". And what's worse is those that know but still choose to walk in and just not bother or the best one, those that keep their shoes on and bloody tip toe around the place, like that makes it ok. I've actually had 1 visitor roll there eyes when I've asked them to come round the back, it's about 5 yards FFS!! Rant over!

exoticfruits Mon 19-Aug-13 08:39:11

Exactly tartanrug- no one has yet said why they prefer my bare feet to my sandals- I do not intend wearing socks or tights until at least the end of September.

TartanRug Mon 19-Aug-13 07:30:09

Well I used to firmly be in the shoes off camp until I had a Jamie Oliver party (dead posh me) all of the guests removed their shoes (unasked, I preferred it but never insisted). Half way through the night one of the guests yelped in pain as she had inadvertently caught the dressing on her septic toe and it had come off, the offending toe was pulsating away on my carpet and left a delightful trail of blood and pus on it. Yes dear reader, blood and pus. On my carpet. It was fucking horrific as the people sitting next to this poor woman visibly winced away from her and she was beyond mortified. From that moment on I would welcome anyone wearing muddy wellies over that toe.

Incidentally,the woman and her toe are still welcome in my house.

exoticfruits Mon 19-Aug-13 06:35:52

I still don't know why you want me wandering around in my bare feet.

mumofwildthings Mon 19-Aug-13 00:33:06

YANBU

I hate shoes in the house. We are a barefoot family and I automatically take my shoes off when I go to anyone else's house. Perhaps its having lived in Russia where your host hands you slippers (if you haven't brought your own) to wear when you take your snowy boots off.

Shoes are not clean, even if they look clean. I suppose I started removing shoes when I had a crawling baby, for hygeine purposes. Now my babies are off to school but we still do it, not least because they tend to get hurt rough-housing with their shoes on.

One of our neighbours has a sign on their front door saying something like 'no shoes indoors'. Now THAT I find rude, but a simple 'would you mind leaving your shoes by the door, we've just had new carpets laid' is fine.

LizzyDay Sun 18-Aug-13 20:58:25

Ah but what about the dust mites in carpets Edam!

nice carpet mite pic

LizzyDay Sun 18-Aug-13 20:54:18

I can understand going shoeless indoors in hot countries, where your feet don't freeze when you take your shoes off.

It's just bonkers to do it here where our climate and most of our homes (with their mix of hard flooring and carpet) aren't suitable for going shoeless in.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Aug-13 13:12:53

I thought 'oh goody another of these MN carpet threads' and then found it was an old one resurrected from 5 months ago.
Personally I haven't worn socks or tights for at least 3 months. Perhaps mechanicalsam, who restated the old thread, would like to tell me why they prefer my bare feet to my sandals? I certainly don't want people walking over my carpets in bare feet.

edam Sun 18-Aug-13 13:05:08

Definitely U and non-U.

There's one line of thought that carpets are better for people with allergies, because they trap fine particles. While with hard floors, the particles are still floating about in the air, especially when you sweep them.

pinkandpurplesparkle Sun 18-Aug-13 13:03:52

Friend is very PFC grin about her hideously expensive wood flooring (PFWF??) wink and deals with the "no shoes" issue by displaying a few pairs of novelty slippers just inside her door. I always choose the pink fluffy ones. grin

LizzyDay Sun 18-Aug-13 12:49:30

Floors are for walking on - give me hard flooring and a pair of shoes/slippers any day.

Having said that it makes no sense to get too precious about having pristine floors just because a baby or toddler might go near them. Germs are germs and they are everywhere. It's just harder to keep carpets looking and smelling clean - they bring extra work and stress imo.

LizzyDay Sun 18-Aug-13 12:45:07

Carpets are dirty things though - how could they not be, whether you wear outdoor shoes on them, or rub the soles of your bare feet into them every day. And if you have kids and animals, you've got no chance!

You can't stick them in the washing machine or properly wipe them like you can a hard surface.

Yamyoid Sun 18-Aug-13 12:00:22

grin Jenai
I learnt a lesson recently. Kept telling fil to stop worrying about taking his shoes off as we have wooden floors. One day he came to do his washing when I was out. I came home to find a perfect trail of dog shit footprints from the front door to the washing machine. Grim.

JenaiMorris Sun 18-Aug-13 11:48:01

Zombies never remove their shoes. They just march across your sitting room with gay abandon, then spill gunk all over the carpet as they feast on your brains sad

Bowlersarm Sun 18-Aug-13 11:46:26

Clearly no less controversial an issue now, than it was in March.

A zombie thread about frigging carpet - how odd! hmm

JenaiMorris Sun 18-Aug-13 11:32:02

Oh it's definitely a U/non-U thing. Insisting on either (unless you have an absurdly precious antique carpet, of the type one might find in the V&A, in which case it's about preserving the irreplaceable, which would be bonkers in a place with heavy footfall anyway) is a bit hmm

Bogeyface Sun 18-Aug-13 11:08:39

I rather think that shoes on/off is a U/Non U issue. I somehow dont imagine the Queen slipping her shoes off at the door to the White House and availing herself of a pair a guest slippers from the basket wink

ladymariner Sun 18-Aug-13 10:05:53

I always take mt shoes off in other peoples houses and nearly everyone I know does too, it's just manners. Why would you run the risk of dirtying somebody's arp et just because you can't be arsed to remove your shoes....nobody would knowingly trail mud or whatever in but you don't always know what is on the bottom of your shoe.

I had a tea party here and most people took their shoes off.....I didn't ask anyone to but as I said, most people round here do. I could tell the ones who didn't as, because it was raining outside, I had muddy marks left where they'd been sitting. And yes, I cursed them to fuck when I had to get the carpet cleaned because ordinary carpet cleaner wouldn't shift it....thanks a fucking bunch.

And even know MN never fails to astonish me.....people actually don't have carpets because they consider them filthy etc shock

madmomma Sun 18-Aug-13 09:58:22

After a certain age, it can be very uncomfortable to have no shoes on. You lose the fat in the soles of your feet. My Mum finds it painful to walk around in her socks. And isn't it always the way that people who have the cleanest shoes will happily take them of without being asked, whereas the people with dirty shoes will march right over your palest rug without a thought.

edam Sun 18-Aug-13 09:47:50

It's not about money, it's about class. Finicky and fussy is Not Posh.

littlemog Sun 18-Aug-13 09:44:59

Agree with Bogeyface. Actually don't think that this is about having money or not (in fact the richer people are, the less they seem to worry about this kind of stuff). The richest folk I know have a sitting room that looks like an extension of the stables! Lovely and cosy and full of tatty sofas and dogs. No indoor nags though.

Bogeyface Sun 18-Aug-13 00:00:00

Is this what happens when you have enough money to spend on luxury things like impeccable carpets and don't have to worry about how you're going to pay the rent this month?? Wow.

No its what happens when you have nothing better to worry about wink

ephemeralfairy Sat 17-Aug-13 23:45:16

YABU!! Seriously?? It would honestly never occur to me to take my shoes off in someone's house, unless said shoes were caked in mud or dog shit or something.
And equally I would never expect anyone to do it in my house; although many of my friends do. I'm more concerned with being a good host than getting the odd microscopic speck of dirt on my --admittedly shabby--carpets.
Is this what happens when you have enough money to spend on luxury things like impeccable carpets and don't have to worry about how you're going to pay the rent this month?? Wow.

Bogeyface Sat 17-Aug-13 23:34:56

Willyandtig

How many people come into your home on a daily basis? Unless you have hoardes of visitors every day then I hardly think that "everyone" is mucking up your house!

And in 2 years when she is playing with leaves on a hedge that a dog has likely pissed on, or licking the hand rail on a bus you will probably cease to care about hypothetical germs on shoes.

Bogeyface Sat 17-Aug-13 23:27:28

My mum is having a new carpet so I asked her earlier about the shoes off thing. When I said about people insisting that anyone coming over their threshold remove their shoes she said "Urgh, how common". She was revolted at the concept of "guest slippers", and said that she would rather risk losing a friend than gaining a verruca. Pretty much covered it for me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now