Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To let DD (12) dye her hair?

(68 Posts)
2kidsintow Sat 09-Mar-13 21:31:27

I'm having mixed feelings, personally.
Lots of her friends the same age have already done it. She's bought a non-permanent kit from asda that says it washes out after a few weeks. She's chosen a shade that will work well with her hair (naturally a lovely mid-dark brown - she's chosed a reddish shade that isn't too brash).

Part of me is happy to let her do it. I'm sure I was using non permanent dyes at her age or a year or so older.

Part of me doesn't want to. The packs now say that it 'isn't intended for use on the under 16s'.

OkayHazel Sun 10-Mar-13 13:36:21

Been dying mine since 12, its fine. And its been dip dyed pink and purple too, so so much for the natural colours theory. Its actually bleach/peroxide that does the real damage.

And I'm also sure, whether she goes to school or not, that the shade she has chosen is natural and therefore suitable.

Let her!

Trills Sun 10-Mar-13 13:43:24

My completely arbitrary rules are:

12: shaders/toners - stuff that washes out almost immediately
14: non-permanent colours - no bleach!
16: proper hairdresser dye - but only if she earns the money and saves up herself

Floralnomad Sun 10-Mar-13 15:30:22

backforgood I don't think dying your hair at 12/13 is necessarily to do with self esteem , it certainly isn't in the case of my 13 yr old .

Eh, both my kids have dyed theirs at that age. DS#1 has been black, blue, red, bright pink, purple black with ginger ends, black with blue ends. He is mousey blond/light brown normally. DS#2 bleached his hair blond (really liked that) and then dyed it blue to go to the olympics this summer. He was 11 at the time.

It didn't affect their schooling. School didn't care.

dondon33, black was the only colour that survived the swimming pool and man did it survive!

I really don't care about hair dye, if it 'ruins' the hair then cut it short. Hair is temporary. If you are worried about chemicals then agree to just do a dip dye look.

determinedma Sun 10-Mar-13 17:29:57

For me 12 is too young. Dd started doing hers at about 16.she got a tattoo at 18 while working in Spain.
Wouldn't have been comfortable with either of those at a younger age

So only those with low self esteem dye their hair? hmm

Crawling Sun 10-Mar-13 18:40:36

Someone mentioned hair extensions I would say no to that unless your willing to spend a fortune. I do hair extensions myself and I charge £200 and im quite cheap as I only do them now, for some extra money when I can get baby sitters to look after the dc.

I would let her die it.

Crawling Sun 10-Mar-13 18:41:29

oops dye not die.

Purplecatti Sun 10-Mar-13 19:01:56

I was allowed and will allow natural non permanent colours at secondary school until they leave. At sixth form and beyond hair is theirs to do what they want with.
Mine went all manner of crazy colours, it's a harmless form of self expression.

loopyluna Sun 10-Mar-13 19:14:49

My 11year old had an allergic reaction to nit lotion a few years back. It was really scary and I'd be really wary of letting her put any kind of unnecessary chemicals on her head in future.
I also don't see the point at all hmm

Kaida Sun 10-Mar-13 19:20:02

TotallyBursar your hair sounds funky. OP, I don't see the problem though I would agree vegetable based dyes are better - currently have bright blue Manic Panic streaks myself.

BodaciousTatas Mon 11-Mar-13 07:35:26

My dd who is 14 has her hair varying shades of purple, more dark in school holidays and during term a more purple/black shade.

The rule in my house is nails and hair are fair game anything else must be run past me.

Yannah2006 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:08:18

I would (i've said my 7 year old can do it during the summer if he wants, terrible parent, me!) but it depends entirely on what the school's stance on hair dye is. I used to get in so much trouble for dyeing my hair bright pink or cherry red during term time and tbh, i can now see it's really not worth it!

Let her do it in the holidays if its a no from the school. I think it's great for kids to experiment with their look, it lets them explore their personality.

I was that sort of age during the days of shaders and toners and sun in.......in the mid 80's everyone walked round with orange fringes, even the boys!!

I can't see the harm in it....it's part and parcel of growing up and the non permanents ones should be fine smile

Mother2many Tue 12-Mar-13 15:55:53

Honestly, my sister use to let my nephew color his hair and he was 6 yrs old. I disagreed with her. She said, "It's JUST hair!"

True... It's not a tattoo, or piecing...etc. It's hair. Heck...even old people dye their hair weird colors...jmho... lololololol...

SOO...

I now let my children dye their hair too...! My daughter who was 6 dyed her tips bright pink once...and even had it streaked bright pink too. My son who was 8 dyed his hair blue...and then purple.

It's hair.

I will fight tooth and nail before they think of piercing their body though! Eyebrows/lips/tongue, etc...as many teenagers do!!! YUCK.

Graceparkhill Tue 12-Mar-13 16:06:38

I think anything non permanent ( if no allergies etc) is perfectly acceptable. Anything hugely expensive needs to be saved for but otherwise anything goes in my house.
I take the view that it is their hair and therefore their choice.

LittleMissFantabulous Tue 12-Mar-13 16:43:22

I'd say no to hair dye. But that's me. Mind you, they used some hair mascara this weekend and it hasn't washed out of my middle one's hair. Pain in the bum >_< We'll be sticking to glittery hairspray next time they fancy being daftgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now