Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want to throttle DH for putting every stich of DDs school uniform in the wash at 11pm?

(109 Posts)
designerbaby Sun 03-Mar-13 23:41:00

So now I have to bloody wait up for it to finish, and then hang it dry, hope it's arsing dry by 6am, which is when I'll have to get up and iron the fucking box pleats in her tunic. I could cry. And yet murder him while weeping.

And he's leaving to catch a flight at 5am, so has buggered off to bed.

I feel murderous, I really do...

db
xx

x2boys Mon 04-Mar-13 18:10:25

i worked a 12 hour shift yesterday when i got home asked dh is ds1 uniform washed and dried no he replys you didnt tell me why should i ?also this morning he says is ds1 homework done no says i because they get it on a friday and it has to be in for wednesday [ds1 is in yr 1 he has two part time teachers and they take it turns every half term to set homework for the week as they work opposite ends of the week days when homework have to be in change every half term] dh says why dont youtell me things if he read the front of the homework book he would sodding know!

diddl Germany Mon 04-Mar-13 18:05:50

Oh yes, I do it mostly because I don't go out to work & have more time.

I don't make my husband do it just for the sake of it/to prove a point.

But he can do it if necessary-if I'm ill or away for example.

I guess I just don't get how someone can't do it, I suppose.

BeckAndCall Mon 04-Mar-13 17:32:35

I've been married for 25 years and once, only once, has DH put a wash on. It was a white table cloth. He'd been doing something on the dining table involving oil - may have had todo with a motorbike part but may have been a D-I-Y project. Any case, was so sure he was in trouble he put the table cloth in the wash.

Plenty of things he can do - washing doesn't really make in onto the list ( all of my kids can sort and wash though, incl DS 22 who will hand wash own designer t shirts)

diddl Germany Mon 04-Mar-13 16:27:52

"It's not necessary for each person to be able to do everything!"

Well, no.

But then sorting laundry & sticking it in a machine is so simple I don't get why someone wouldn't be able to do it-especially if it's been explained once or twice.

Anyway, I think we're at cross purposes as I thought that you were referring to OP's husband, but now I'm thinking not.

OrangeLily Mon 04-Mar-13 16:15:05

He is learning! He just doesn't so the washing as he does a lot of other things.

It's not necessary for each person to be able to do everything!

Dh does most of the washing and ironing here, and sorts out the non-ironing and puts that away. However, it did take me over 10 years to train him out of throwing whites and darks in together.

diddl Germany Mon 04-Mar-13 15:57:02

"Diddl it's because this particular man wasn't taught much practical stuff ever!"

But he's an adult-comes a time you have to take responsibility & teach/learn for yourself!

cuillereasoupe Mon 04-Mar-13 15:07:45

Fuck ironing pleats, and fuck the über mummies, have a gin and tonic instead. Simple.

OrangeLily Mon 04-Mar-13 14:40:44

Diddl it's because this particular man wasn't taught much practical stuff ever! It's possible that a lot of men aren't shown right because its 'women's work' but mines just wasn't shown how to do much. He can iron because his parents are business people and have to look very formal for work.

He also can't really do anything practical like hold a drill/put up a shelf/fix broken machines or understand the phrase USE A FUCKING WALL PLUG but he's learning!

I've learned not to pick up the slack though, I wouldn't let a kid away with not learning something so he doesn't get to either.

I have to say though despite being awful with practical things he is amazing at business decisions and money and I'm awful. We bought and amazing house much earlier than planned because he made us save our bums off for it.

OP - fair dues to you!

Now, the next issue at hand - how is he going to make up for this? How on earth is a man travelling through an airport going to find something that can ever make up for his mistake? wink

prettybird Mon 04-Mar-13 13:33:21

My dad was South African (but now says he's Scottish and supports Scotland rather than South Africa in rugby ) and he and mum did genuinely share all the household tasks. Not only was he capable of putting a washing on, but he would also hang it up outside on the line. smile

But then he's an an unusual man: a former farmer from the Northern Transvaal who retrained as a doctor and who was a true "New Man" (when there weren't that many back in theo 60s).

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 04-Mar-13 13:33:08

This thread has just inspired me to phone DH and tell him to hang the washing out. If I don't instruct him to do so specifically, he will leave it sitting there festering nicely. His reaction to being shouted at for putting whites and darks in together was 'well, you do it then'. When he lived alone he bunged everything in one big wash (not frequently enough) and it all came out in shades of grey. So...I do 98% of the laundry and he does most of the tidying and cooking. He has been known to bung on washes if he has no socks or pants left, but avoids anything he thinks looks 'tricky', such as anything wool or man-made fibres.

diddl Germany Mon 04-Mar-13 13:27:26

I was beginning to wonder if all SA men lived with mummy or paid for a maid until they married!

INeverSaidThat Mon 04-Mar-13 13:10:12

DancesWithWool. I am glad to hear your DH does laundry. I was being a bit silly rude making such a sweeping generalisation about a whole nation. Sorry. smile

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Mon 04-Mar-13 12:56:50

My DH is South African and he is a champion at laundry

MiaowTheCat Mon 04-Mar-13 12:44:00

He's also bought enough shirts to survive between his mother's visits so he can sucker her into ironing them all. He's not impressed that on the list of stuff needing sorted if I get hospitalised with this new baby for any length of time I've opened the list with "NO GRANDMA IS TO IRON HIS SHIRTS - DO NOT FALL FOR THIS CRAP"

MiaowTheCat Mon 04-Mar-13 12:42:56

Oh yeah my husband gets distracted halfway through the laundry process as well... it's only because I cracked and chucked the remainder of the stuff needing to go in the drier in on the way out of the door to the hospital last night that he actually has pants this morning.

Murphy0510 Mon 04-Mar-13 12:37:10

Snap, doctorhamster! My DH is the same. He thinks he's 'done the washing' if he's simply overloaded our machine with any random washing, regardless of colour. He did 5 loads this weekend and has left them all for me to sort.

You need a washer/drier. Our machine has a setting so an 'outfit' (jeans, underwear, top and cardigan) can be washed and dried in 60 minutes.

doctorhamster Mon 04-Mar-13 12:35:17

Dh does laundry at weekends but is incapable of seeing the process through to the end for some reason. The process being get washing from basket, put in machine, put machine on, take wet washing out when finished and put in tumble dryer or hang on line, then put dry washing away.

Many many times I have found the washing machine full of sodden washing that's been sitting there for 2 days, or full of dry washing because he's only got as far as bundling it into the machine. He has never in living memory managed to even start the final putting away stage.

diddl Germany Mon 04-Mar-13 12:25:19

Glad it worked out OP.

Here-if it isn't in the washbox, it doesn't get washed.

everlong Mon 04-Mar-13 11:49:07

I'd have gone mental too. Big time.

I suppose he thought he was helping hmm

Alls well in the end though smile

INeverSaidThat Mon 04-Mar-13 11:39:47

I think you should show your DH ths thread. It will help him understand what a lovely wife he has.

I am still secretly on the side of being just a teeny weeny bit impressed he put some washing on confused This is probably because I lived in South Africa and knew a lot of SA men. I can't believe I am making such a ridiculous generalisation but I honestly did not know one who woud have known where the washing machine was let alone been able to turn one on. To their credit, they were all capable of fixing engines, building things and generally 'being manly' and getting things done (and braai'ing)

I had a flat tire when I was in SA and by the time I had finished changing it there was a crowd of men looking at me with amazement. Everyone of them had offered to do it for me and they couldnt believe I wanted to do it myself. Chivalrous but sexist grin

designerbaby Mon 04-Mar-13 11:26:02

Don't get me started in bed stripping at inopportune times...
[rage]

Arithmeticulous Mon 04-Mar-13 11:25:16

I would have suggested re-setting your DH's alarm for 3am or earlier so that he had time to iron everything before he went.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now