To want to throttle DH for putting every stich of DDs school uniform in the wash at 11pm?

(109 Posts)
designerbaby Sun 03-Mar-13 23:41:00

So now I have to bloody wait up for it to finish, and then hang it dry, hope it's arsing dry by 6am, which is when I'll have to get up and iron the fucking box pleats in her tunic. I could cry. And yet murder him while weeping.

And he's leaving to catch a flight at 5am, so has buggered off to bed.

I feel murderous, I really do...

db
xx

OrangeLily Mon 04-Mar-13 14:40:44

Diddl it's because this particular man wasn't taught much practical stuff ever! It's possible that a lot of men aren't shown right because its 'women's work' but mines just wasn't shown how to do much. He can iron because his parents are business people and have to look very formal for work.

He also can't really do anything practical like hold a drill/put up a shelf/fix broken machines or understand the phrase USE A FUCKING WALL PLUG but he's learning!

I've learned not to pick up the slack though, I wouldn't let a kid away with not learning something so he doesn't get to either.

I have to say though despite being awful with practical things he is amazing at business decisions and money and I'm awful. We bought and amazing house much earlier than planned because he made us save our bums off for it.

cuillereasoupe Mon 04-Mar-13 15:07:45

Fuck ironing pleats, and fuck the über mummies, have a gin and tonic instead. Simple.

diddl Mon 04-Mar-13 15:57:02

"Diddl it's because this particular man wasn't taught much practical stuff ever!"

But he's an adult-comes a time you have to take responsibility & teach/learn for yourself!

Dh does most of the washing and ironing here, and sorts out the non-ironing and puts that away. However, it did take me over 10 years to train him out of throwing whites and darks in together.

OrangeLily Mon 04-Mar-13 16:15:05

He is learning! He just doesn't so the washing as he does a lot of other things.

It's not necessary for each person to be able to do everything!

diddl Mon 04-Mar-13 16:27:52

"It's not necessary for each person to be able to do everything!"

Well, no.

But then sorting laundry & sticking it in a machine is so simple I don't get why someone wouldn't be able to do it-especially if it's been explained once or twice.

Anyway, I think we're at cross purposes as I thought that you were referring to OP's husband, but now I'm thinking not.

BeckAndCall Mon 04-Mar-13 17:32:35

I've been married for 25 years and once, only once, has DH put a wash on. It was a white table cloth. He'd been doing something on the dining table involving oil - may have had todo with a motorbike part but may have been a D-I-Y project. Any case, was so sure he was in trouble he put the table cloth in the wash.

Plenty of things he can do - washing doesn't really make in onto the list ( all of my kids can sort and wash though, incl DS 22 who will hand wash own designer t shirts)

diddl Mon 04-Mar-13 18:05:50

Oh yes, I do it mostly because I don't go out to work & have more time.

I don't make my husband do it just for the sake of it/to prove a point.

But he can do it if necessary-if I'm ill or away for example.

I guess I just don't get how someone can't do it, I suppose.

x2boys Mon 04-Mar-13 18:10:25

i worked a 12 hour shift yesterday when i got home asked dh is ds1 uniform washed and dried no he replys you didnt tell me why should i ?also this morning he says is ds1 homework done no says i because they get it on a friday and it has to be in for wednesday [ds1 is in yr 1 he has two part time teachers and they take it turns every half term to set homework for the week as they work opposite ends of the week days when homework have to be in change every half term] dh says why dont youtell me things if he read the front of the homework book he would sodding know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now