to think a standard woman does not need 2000 calories a day?

(183 Posts)
CardinalRichelieu Tue 26-Feb-13 14:56:14

I know it says on packaging etc that 2000 is the standard intake for a woman but it sounds like kind of a lot. I reckon I eat maybe 1600-1700 per day? I am quite small (5 ft 3) and don't do much exercise except walking around and a bit of pilates. I work partly from home and partly out of the home and don't really burn that much off in daily activity. I am in the healthy BMI range (19).

I don't think someone like me needs 2000 calories a day - am I right?

Thingiebob Wed 27-Feb-13 17:27:26

OP. you don't need 2000 cals because of your lifestyle, but I do. On average I think most 'standard' women do more exercise than you.

Wishihadabs Wed 27-Feb-13 17:49:58

I think they should whether they do ....

SirEdmundFrillary Wed 27-Feb-13 17:55:38

I think angsting about calories and height is part of the problem. Why does this happen?

anonymosity Wed 27-Feb-13 19:26:38

Love your response LLjkk!

ChairmanWow Thu 28-Feb-13 05:09:44

SirEdmund, that was kind of my point. I personally don't give a monkey's arse what size anyone is. I'm not into fat or thin bashing. It just depresses me that otherwise intelligent women are wasting their energy obsessing over calories - and before anyone attacks me I'm not saying don't be healthy.

Lljkk - interesting article. I never thought I'd see Susie Orbach quoted in the Torygraph! Thanks for posting.

fascicle Thu 28-Feb-13 10:34:18

CardinalRichelieu
I know it says on packaging etc that 2000 is the standard intake for a woman but it sounds like kind of a lot.

I've never read it quite like that. On food packaging etc the word 'guidelines' is usually in there and 'average' rather than standard. I wouldn't interpret the message as all or most women need to eat 2,000 calories a day.

I think apart from stature, a lot of individual difference in calorific requirements is down to incidental movement (that NEAT stuff). Some people seem to move/twitch/expend energy all the time, whilst others can sit at a desk for hours and barely move.

countrykitten Thu 28-Feb-13 11:21:01

I would be absolutely massive if I ate 2000 calories a day! It's all aboujt what's right for you isn't it? I currently eat about 1200 a day and 200 more if I exercise hard. It's plenty.

countrykitten Thu 28-Feb-13 11:23:38

I am 5ft tall btw in case I get told that this is not enough. It's enough for me to maintain a good healthy weight and feel energetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now