to point out that formula feeding doesn't necessarily require you to be sterilising bottles and scooping out powder in the middle of the night...

(454 Posts)
itsakindarabbit Fri 22-Feb-13 21:56:06

Keep seeing this on threads which mention ff...how people couldnt be doing with getting up in the night andstsrilising bottles/making up feeds.

I bf and ff but found ff no problem at night - i would take up a carton of ready made formula and a pre sterilised bottle and i could feed without getting out of bed.

And yes, i know ready made formula is expensive and not everyone uses it. But some of us do/did.

raven I'm responsible for the boob wopping comment and I struggled hard for 8 weeks to feed dd. it wasn't easier in all ways at all times.

But definitely op is goady.

NandH Fri 22-Feb-13 22:36:31

I would have loved to breast feed, but couldn't sad

so I formula feed, my routine is...

1. boil kettle before bed and fill 4 sterilised bottles.
2. take bottles and tub of formula up to bed.
3. put appropriate scoops of formula into one bottle and put into the bottle warmer ready for ds's feed.

then after ds's feed I just do step 2 and 3 again ready for ds's next feed smile ...easy peasy...lemon squeezey!

I also agree with bongers I don't like babies being given cold milk, also no excuse not to warm it up when all you have to do is stick it in a bottle warmer and it'll warm it to the right temp for you!

The boiling water/temperature of the water for killing nasties in the formula is more important than sterilising the bottles (in my eyes at least - you should always rinse bottles straight after use, wash in hot soapy water, and sterilise as well if baby is under 6 months).

beemail Fri 22-Feb-13 22:40:02

Adopted 2 babies and formula fed. Took flask with 1/2 boiling water and 1/2 cold water to bed. Had premeasured powder in pots. Put water from flask in bottle and added pdr and shook. Baby slept in cot next to bed, all the above within reach from bed. Seemed easy enough to me!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 22-Feb-13 22:40:10

You don't ^ have^ to warm formula up, it's just a habit. I wouldn't give my DS milk straight out the fridge but room temp is fine, he won't drink it warm. Spits it out.

Not quite sure why some people seem to think its mean not to warm it.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 22-Feb-13 22:40:47

have

I applauded the boob wopping quote, and struggled massively to BF, not getting it 'right' until 10 weeks. Not looking to goad anyone at all....but having mix fed, EBF and EFF, BF at night was certainly the easiest option for us. But FF wasn't that bad either.

But NandH - the water isn't at the right temperature to kill the formula's potential bugs....unless the warmer warms it to 70 degrees? (Don't know anything about warmers!)

MikeOxardAndWellard Fri 22-Feb-13 22:41:32

Meh. I sleep naked, ds next to me, he helps himself, I sleep. I don't even have to poke anyone awake. I am the laziest winner.

Beamae Fri 22-Feb-13 22:41:36

It took an hour and a half to breastfeed my premie twins. 20 minutes to bottle feed. Even with making up the bottles etc it was still easier.

itsakindarabbit Fri 22-Feb-13 22:42:25

Not goady at all! Just taking a view 'ff at night is difficult as involves sterilising, boiling kettles and scooping out powder" and saying, actually, it doesnt have to be like that.

ll31 Fri 22-Feb-13 22:42:31

Don't see any problem with thread. op is right, ff in middle of night is easy for some people, like bf I imagine.

beemail Fri 22-Feb-13 22:43:41

Yes I agree. Babies pretty soon very happy with room temp. It's really not difficult and I'd have done anything for them at any hour really. That surely comes with the territory and it's not for that long

Startail Fri 22-Feb-13 22:43:42

Yes I used cartons very very occasionally if out, but I truly couldn't justify the cost otherwise.

We were much better off when DD2 came along.

Of course, you've guessed, DD2 has never touched a bottle of milk in her life.

Must say he didn't do any night feeds with ds3, probably because I always expressed so he fed him when he came home from work instead.

I hadn't expected him to do any night feeds this time. It's probably due to a combination of the baby being bf so the night bottle is the only one he gets to do and the fact that ds3 is 23 months old and has only just started sleeping through so I've already had 2 years of night waking! Not sure how long dp will keep it up but I'm making the most of it for now grin

Mike - totally read that as you DH helps himself.....

I'm off for a fag.

pomdereplay Fri 22-Feb-13 22:46:17

The 'sterilising thing' is mostly to do with the fact that formula powder isn't a sterile substance and needs to be prepared with water above 70 degrees in order to kill any bacteria. Obviously sterile feeding equipment is also important with little babies, but no this does not apply to breasts in the slightest. Studies in fact demonstrate that newborns are more likely to find the unwashed breast easily, so there is an evolutionary purpose to smelling a bit like milk and it certainly doesn't cause any harm. Most breastfeeding mothers aren't filthy to the point of being a biohazard, Holly, and plenty also feed without 'mangled' nipples (or, like me, get through that stage with a little help from Lansinoh and nipple shields and go on to have happy, stress free months and years of feeding). Not necessarily a deal breaker.

AmberLeaf Fri 22-Feb-13 22:57:44

OP has a point and isn't goady IMO.

The whole 'prepping bottles at night etc ' is often rolled out when talking of BF.

It doesn't have to be a faff unless you make it one.

Booyhoo Fri 22-Feb-13 22:57:57

i cant remember what i did with ds1's bottles.

does anyone know, is it ok to make up a bottle before you go to bed and bring it up with you. jsut let it cool on the bedside table and give to baby when they wake?

i'm not pregnant or anything BTW i'm just thinking if i would want to BF another baby and what the rules of FF are if i dont.

I found the worst thing was expressing as ds3 just refused the boob so feeding every couple of hours and expressing in between which was awful.

boo it's not advised, the same as they say not to make them in advance and keep them in the fridge any more.

You are supposed to make up when needed, cool quickly to the right temp and throw away if the baby hasn't drank it after an hour

Booyhoo Fri 22-Feb-13 23:01:39

i cant remember what i did with ds1's bottles.

does anyone know, is it ok to make up a bottle before you go to bed and bring it up with you. jsut let it cool on the bedside table and give to baby when they wake?

i'm not pregnant or anything BTW i'm just thinking if i would want to BF another baby and what the rules of FF are if i dont.

Booyhoo Fri 22-Feb-13 23:02:47

sorry for double post! my page refreshed back to pg1 and i thought it hadn't posted.

Booyhoo Fri 22-Feb-13 23:03:37

thanks moomin.

Booyhoo Fri 22-Feb-13 23:05:40

so how do you make a bottle?

boil kettle. pour in bottle. add scoops. run under cold water. and test on your wrist?

Snazzynewyear Fri 22-Feb-13 23:12:36

I thought that too - advice was you had to make the formula fresh every time. So do most people just ignore that then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now