to think my 'friend' should not call me a cow? Or am I being silly?

(53 Posts)
lovetomoan Fri 22-Feb-13 13:54:18

Meet friend and we both have babies. She FF and I EBF, she said I am a cow because I EBF. I just smiled and said: well, I have always been a cow (tried to make it like a joke and not a big deal).

Then we went for lunch and my baby was hungry, so I proceeded to BF in the restaurant.
She said I should cover myself. I said no, my baby needs to eat.

She said other people might not like to see me BF. I said BF is natural (she was getting on my nerves by that point).

She said even if it's natural, some people do not like to see it (I think she did not want to see me BF). I said, well, then those people can sod off blush

Should I still see said friend? I don't really care about what people feed their babies and keep my opinions to myself but I am thinking, maybe this is the time to drop a friend.

She also gave her baby a slice of lime (to see the face baby makes when tasting it) and chilly sauce. I kept my mouth shout even when I think you do not do that to a 9 month old baby.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 23-Feb-13 09:49:39

"Chilli is dangerous for babies. There was a case recently in the US where a girl gave her boyfriends child chilli as a punishment and she died because it makes their airways close up."

Chilli isn't dangerous for babies in normal doses. DS has had chilli in curry from 6 months. Giving a toddler a spoonful of chilli powder is clearly very different.

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Sat 23-Feb-13 10:47:23

Im in the provocative post camp.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 23-Feb-13 12:25:20

Bartlet - I totally agree. In many cultures where food is spicier than it is here chilli is added to baby's food from weaning. It's perfectly fine to give chilli to babies just not in massive amounts. A little taste of chilli sauce on mum's little finger is fine in my opinion, as is lime. My children actually love lemon and just put a whole slice in their mouths and suck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now