Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

aibu to wonder if the chubby babies become the overweight children?

(109 Posts)
honeytea Wed 20-Feb-13 18:15:12

Today me and ds went to our first "mummy group" all tge babies in the group were 2 months old. Ds is huge, he weighs 6.6 kg (almost 15 pounds) he is <97th percentile for weight.

I understand the logic of percentiles but when I see him amongst babies his own age and he so obviously much bigger I worry.

All the other babies looked like actual floppy soft babies with tiny little newborn clothes whereas ds sits up and tries to stand up, his 3-6 month babygrows are too small on tge legs and he fits best into his 6 month+ clothes.

It looked like we were in tge wrong group.

Ds is ebf and the Dr has said his weight/size isn't a problem. He did say at my last appointment "I assume his pappa is tall" which he isn't.

I was wondering if the chubby giant babies become the overweight children? I know someone has to be at the top of normal but I wonder with their focus on "following his own curve" will meen he ends up being the big child in the class?

I am intending to restrict ds's sugar intake and give him healthy meals cooked from scratch by my dp as that is what we eat anyway. We hope to have an active lifestyle.

Do I need to work especially hard to avoid ds becoming chubby in childhood? Any idea when I need to start to restrict calories?

BanjoPlayingTiger Thu 21-Feb-13 09:12:01

My ds was 10lb 5oz born. He put on weight so rapidly despite being EBF that he was 19lb 13oz at 13 weeks old. But then put on no more weight for the next 3 months despite getting longer.
He is now a healthy active 9 yo but he looks as though I starve him he is so skinny.

Try not to worry so much. Comparing your child to others is a recipe for disaster.

Adversecamber Thu 21-Feb-13 09:31:33

DS was on 98th centile for a long time and was enormous, he is 5ft 4 and 11 years old now so the same size as me but as thin as a whip. He is desperate to be taller than me before he hits 12.

Branleuse Thu 21-Feb-13 09:34:45

ds2 was 10lb at birth and gained roughly 1lb a week for quite a while. At his 6 week check, the doctor asked if he was 6 months (stupid idiot, he was big but he still looked babyish)

He is now nearly 6 and tall and very skinny

changeforthebetter Thu 21-Feb-13 09:39:13

EBF DD2 was huge, rolls of fat, shelves on the outside of her thighs. She was a shock after her tiny big sister. However, she was healthy, met all her milestones and is active, bright and well within the healthy BMI range for her age and gender. She walked at nine months and that's when the Buddha-rolls dropped off grin BTW you can't over feed a BF baby unless you put the BM in a bottle, apparently.

simplesusan Thu 21-Feb-13 09:45:21

Appologies if this has already been said but isn't birth weight genetic?

I was a big baby and all my dcs were big.

I would say we are all big boned but none of us are fat.

I am a size 10.

sherazade Sat 23-Feb-13 20:51:17

My eldest was a giant, off the centile charts baby, she was so big strangers would stop and gawk at her. She always wore several sizes up. She started to slim down at 2 and by 3 was a mid sized child now at 7 she is slim .
I was a fat baby too , big chubby cheeks, treble chin, rolls all over, and am a size 4-6 .

DeWe Sat 23-Feb-13 20:59:23

DD1 was a very tubby baby. Over 91% and rising fast. I was careful what she ate, as in making sure it was always a healthy snack, pudding wasn't drowned in cream etc. Never restricted food, or made her aware of this though.

Age 8yo she had pneumonia badly and had to be weighed for exact medication. Nasty moment of discovering that she had actually lost weight from the last time she had been weighed nearly 2 years previously. So ended up under the doctor for a year to keep an eye on her weight being too small. She's going up the 25% line now, and has been for 3 years.

Reiltin Sat 23-Feb-13 21:05:23

My brother was a chubby kid, like myself. When he hit puberty, he shot up & there wasn't a pick on him. Unfortunately, that didn't happen to me! So I guess you just can't tell how things are going to work out.

BarbarianMum Sat 23-Feb-13 21:15:08

My dnephew wasn't just chubby at 6mo he was a butterball. He was so much off the charts for weight the health visitor wouldn't believe that he was just breasfed (he was). B/w 1 and 2 he slimmed down and has been a whippet ever since (now 13).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now