aibu to wonder if the chubby babies become the overweight children?

(109 Posts)
honeytea Wed 20-Feb-13 18:15:12

Today me and ds went to our first "mummy group" all tge babies in the group were 2 months old. Ds is huge, he weighs 6.6 kg (almost 15 pounds) he is <97th percentile for weight.

I understand the logic of percentiles but when I see him amongst babies his own age and he so obviously much bigger I worry.

All the other babies looked like actual floppy soft babies with tiny little newborn clothes whereas ds sits up and tries to stand up, his 3-6 month babygrows are too small on tge legs and he fits best into his 6 month+ clothes.

It looked like we were in tge wrong group.

Ds is ebf and the Dr has said his weight/size isn't a problem. He did say at my last appointment "I assume his pappa is tall" which he isn't.

I was wondering if the chubby giant babies become the overweight children? I know someone has to be at the top of normal but I wonder with their focus on "following his own curve" will meen he ends up being the big child in the class?

I am intending to restrict ds's sugar intake and give him healthy meals cooked from scratch by my dp as that is what we eat anyway. We hope to have an active lifestyle.

Do I need to work especially hard to avoid ds becoming chubby in childhood? Any idea when I need to start to restrict calories?

Internationaltraveller Wed 20-Feb-13 18:35:22

no, my nephew was big baby and when I saw him last (aged nearly 2) he has grown a lot and is now the right proportions due to all his walking and moving around.

My DC1 was so fat, he was known as sumo baby. He's now 18, 6ft 3, and built like a beanpole. No correlation, IMHO.

Sugarice Wed 20-Feb-13 18:40:05

My ds's are now 17, 15 and 13.

They were all baby heifers , happy and loved eating to the point I was worried about weight.

They are now skinny but muscular teens with not an ounce of flesh to spare.

hugoagogo Wed 20-Feb-13 18:40:19

Both my dc 9lb+ at birth, both now at 10 and 14 tall and skinny, although ds had a chunky phase between 8 and 10.

Although they were heavy, I never thought they were fat; just big.

cassgate Wed 20-Feb-13 18:40:30

Nope. Both mine were big. 10lbs 8 and 9lbs 2 at birth and followed their respective birth percentile curves until they became mobile. They are now 9 and 6 and as skinny as rakes with healthy appetites, they are very active though. My dd I remember being very sturdy and not like a new born at all and she hated lying down and was in a forward facing buggy at 4 weeks old. She sat up unaided at just turned 4 months. She didnt crawl until 9 months but then walked at 11 months. She now cannot wear anything without adjustable waists (including leggings) as they fall down she is so skinny. She does ballet and her teacher has told me she has a typical ballerina physique.

Not in our case. We had one tubba and one beanpole. They are both healthy weights now and have been for many years.

Suttyshotty Wed 20-Feb-13 18:44:57

My DS was a huge 10lb 7oz baby, born looking like a doorman and with full head control, he is now 6 and although still solid, is in no way overweight, just all arms and legs and massive shoulders

BlatantLies Wed 20-Feb-13 18:45:22

I had two fat babies and one average. They were all within an once of 9lbs when they were born but the first two bulked up rather quickly confused They were above the 99% percentile line (but someone has to be grin ) They were stocky but not chubby toddlers and now they are super super skinny and 6ft. My third DC has been normal weight all along.

MiaowTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 18:45:36

Depends - hell even as kids/teens some go through a chub up > grow upwards into that chub type cycle with their growing. I don't think you can really tell till they're up, mobile and more toddler age and you've got a better picture on where they're sitting heightwise.

honeytea Wed 20-Feb-13 18:46:20

So far the Dr and hv (and midwife when he was born) have just said oh we don't worry about the big ones, I wonder when that changes.

I find myself repeating "he's only 2 months old" so people don't think he is a 6 month old and wonder why he can't suck his thumb yet. One mum asked me if he was crawling yet.

Pricklypickup Wed 20-Feb-13 18:47:47

To give you the other side - I had the little 6lb laying next to the 8-10lbs. 8 years on now over the 98th centile for both height and weight.

MrsMushroom Wed 20-Feb-13 18:48:32

15 pounds doesn't sound massive friends DD is only 6 weeks and she's 11 pounds and she's very dainty looking!

CosmicMouse Wed 20-Feb-13 18:48:57

Another chunker here. Huge (98th centile) baby and toddler. Photos from her around her 2nd birthday are hilarious bless her! But between 2.5-3 she suddenly started to slim down. Now at 3.7 she's solid, but by no means chubby.

So don't panic if he doesn't slim down when he starts solids/crawling/'ll all even out eventually.

SoldeInvierno Wed 20-Feb-13 18:52:37

DS was over 10lbs at birth and stayed the fatest baby I've ever known until he stopped breastfeeding. After that, he slimmed down a bit and 9 years later, he's really skinny.

teacherwith2kids Wed 20-Feb-13 18:55:26

Chubby babies.

Solid ... very solid ...toddlers.

Lean, active children - but very tall.

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:57:20

All the kids in our family look like sumos at <12 months.

Then they get mobile and it just drops off so they're skinny minnies by 2.

TigerFeet Wed 20-Feb-13 19:01:32

don't worry op, both mine were born on 50th centile but rapidly climbed up the charts, both breastfed and both were little round butterballs within a couple of months. dd1 is now 8 and tall and slim, dd2 is 3 and still has her toddler tummy and chubby cheeks but other than that is also tall and slim. keep going as you are smile

honeytea Wed 20-Feb-13 19:02:46

I was expecting to have a slight baby as I had read that breastfed babies follow lower weight curves than formula fed babies, I think my milk must be liquid mars bars.

freddiefrog Wed 20-Feb-13 19:03:32

My DD1 was a very chubby baby. Now tall and skinny - can fit into her sister's age 7 clothes sort of skinny (you'd think she'd notice the jeans were flapping by her knees wouldn't you hmm )

insanityscratching Wed 20-Feb-13 19:04:04

I had five chubby babies all above 95th centile but they tended to grow into their weight and so by two and a half they were skinny toddlers. 4 are adults now and all slim and dd aged 9 is waif like. Conversely my friend who had really lean babies and skinny toddlers all of her children put on weight from about eleven and all are overweight or obese now.

Hopeforever Wed 20-Feb-13 19:09:23

DS was over the 90th percentile as a baby. At 13 years we struggle to find trousers that are long enough for him without them falling down. He's almost too thin

He was EBF

DD was 8lbs at birth, 25lbs at first birthday, is now 6'1" and 124lbs at 15
Ds was 8.8 lbs at birth, 30 lbs by first birthday, is now 5'11" and 120 lbs at 13

They are both good eaters, always have been, and are active kids. They were both breastfed, and started on solids around four months old.

Sugarice Wed 20-Feb-13 19:13:11

You must have fab milk courtesy of Zeus! grin

Don't worry, you'll hit blw and toddler arsiness and he'll even out no problem!

Oodsigma Wed 20-Feb-13 19:13:14

Dd1 was v chubby but is a lanky 13 yo now.

shellshock7 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:13:36

Funnily tho he doesn't look fat (apart from the belly!) he just looks bigger all over than his age, so people never say ooo isn't he chubby, but always think he's older than he is....and defo a problem with clothes that fit him proportionally grrr grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now