to ask you if you feel that people accused of sex crimes should have their identities protected?

(81 Posts)
SoleSource Wed 20-Feb-13 12:02:40

This debate was featured on the This Morning programme.

55% of the phone in poll voted yes.
45% voted no.

I would have voted yes because false allegations can destroy lives.

StormyBrid Wed 20-Feb-13 12:56:51

Given how low the incidence of false reporting is, and how hard it is to have enough evidence to even prosecute, it's surely statistically very likely that someone accused of sex crimes is guilty? So we're talking about protecting a very, very tiny number of people who've been falsely accused, while making it far more difficult to amass sufficient evidence against serial offenders to actually prosecute them. In other words, protecting a small number of men at the expense of a rather larger number of women.

Of course, if anonymity were to be extended to everyone accused of any crime whatsoever, then it would be a bit different. But it's not, so why should you get special treatment just for committing a sex crime rather than any other sort of crime?

TroublesomeEx Wed 20-Feb-13 12:59:09

FolkGirl, even if there were no false accusations ever, some would be invented.

No, I know. sad

MrsDeVere Wed 20-Feb-13 13:00:05

I just watched it on +1
The lawyer Nick Freeman, came out with some incredibly offensive toss.

Apparently so few rapes go to court because they are not 'the tragic' kind but the date rape kind because they are de rigeur (sp)
So its all just a matter of consent and not really proper rape.

This man is a lawyer. A professional in the justice system.

And he thinks that there is tragic rape and the other kind.

Fucking knob <sue me, knob>

I would say yes but only until a conviction is obtained. If there isn't sufficient evidence to charge it should be kept on file in case of future accusations.

The thing that most people don't consider is that when someone is accused of a sexual crime and their name becomes public it doesn't just affects them. It affects their spouse, their children, their other family. And it can be devastating for these innocent parties.

So its all just a matter of consent and not really proper rape.

But that's what rape is. What a stupid, ill-informed man. I despair.

runningforthebusinheels Wed 20-Feb-13 13:03:33

Mrs Devere - FFS! Did he go through all the rape myths, or just a couple of them ?

What a tosser.

And we wonder why rape myths are so pervasive in society.

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Wed 20-Feb-13 13:14:58

I was accused of a range of sex crimes at work (along with many colleagues) - suspended and investigated by the police. Very pleased our identities were protected.

KellyElly Wed 20-Feb-13 13:15:41

No, either all accused of crime should or none.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 20-Feb-13 13:16:37

Hmmm torn here. Gut reaction is that anonymous til convicted is fine. Once convicted put the name and picture in every paper in the land! I'm less convinced that merely being accused should merit publicity.

I don't understand why they reckon less women would report though, can this be explained? Also if the person once convicted then had more people come forward to say it happened to me too can't they then be tried on that new crime(s)? Or not? I find this gets confusing. Orzo they meAn a case gets stronger if more come forward at once?

What's odd is I don't feel murderers should get anonymity - not entirely sure why as both heinous crimes.

TroublesomeEx Wed 20-Feb-13 13:18:07

So its all just a matter of consent and not really proper rape

Silly me, I thought that's what rape was. You know, the consent bit.

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 20-Feb-13 13:23:26

If acused identity should be protected.

If evidence is sufficient for charges to be brought then i believe, please correct me if you know factualy this is wrong, it would come up on a future CRB check so its no longer something that could be contained as a secret.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Wed 20-Feb-13 13:26:35

I would vote no.

I think it is worse to be falsely accused of a sex crime than most other types of crime but being accused of being a thief or of committing fraud or being violent does damage your life too and nobody is suggesting that people accused of those crimes be granted anonymity.

1 in 4 women are raped/sexually assaulted but I don't believe 1 in 4 men are rapists. Men who rape, do it over and over and because there is so much emphasis on women lying and false accusations it makes it harder to get a conviction. Anything that helps other women come forward to help a case be built against a man should be encouraged.

Lives are damaged by false accusations but that has to be put in the balance with the lives that are damaged by men being allowed to continue to rape because of the inevitable one persons word against another which typifies prosecutions of men accused where there is a single victim.

OTTMummA Wed 20-Feb-13 13:29:11

This shite again?!
How many is that this week?

Oh, and no, not ever.

SoleSource Wed 20-Feb-13 13:32:25

hmm

no, why should they? murders don't, why do we assume rape vuctims are liars?

Hide the thread then OTT. It's in the news, of course there will be numerous threads discussing it.

sherbetpips Wed 20-Feb-13 13:39:32

I think it something is going to trial then it is going to come out anyway. By that stage enough of a case has been build up agains the person to warrant a formal arrest and charge. What I dont agree with is the naming of every single person the police drag in to interview. Unless they can charge them and take it to court, they shouldnt be allowed to disclose names.

OTTMummA Wed 20-Feb-13 13:40:28

Thank you for that lovely suggestion!
It is a bit concerning to say the least when this topic is bought up again for the 4th/5th time within a couple of days, not always with regards to this news story either. Even more exhastibating is that quite a few posters actually think this is a good idea!
Do any of those posters know how hard it is to get a case put forward for rape at all?
Sorry but we should be finding ways to find it easier and safer for people (manly women and children) to report rape, if you can't se why this would be a massive step forward then god help us all.

OTTMummA Wed 20-Feb-13 13:41:37

step backwards

runningforthebusinheels Wed 20-Feb-13 13:43:15
TheSeniorWrangler Wed 20-Feb-13 13:49:34

If theyve been charged, no.

Until the police have enough evidence to charge someone formally, then they should not be disclosing names.

thezebrawearspurple Wed 20-Feb-13 13:52:03

I support anonymity for both accused and accuser. To be falsely accused of rape is a crime in itself and for an innocent person to be falsely tarnished with that allegation for the rest of their lives even when found not guilty in court (because people, like many on here will believe that he just got away with it) and to experience the abuse and assaults against themselves and their family which come with having that 'reputation', to losing family, friends, becoming a social pariah, losing job prospects and basically having their life forever ruined is unjust.

kim147 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:54:41
Angelfootprints Wed 20-Feb-13 14:00:54

Is this just concerning rape though?

I knew a female teacher of sexually touching a female pupil. The girl made it up, but is was horrific for teacher.

So, say if one of your dc's friends had a sleepover and falsely accused you of a sexual crime against them during the night you would be happy for the whole world to know?

Or what if your dps female colleague falsely accused him of sexual harassment and your families name dragged through the mud despite no crime beimg committed?

kim147 Wed 20-Feb-13 14:12:45

I do think teachers should have anonymity - over half the allegations made against teachers are found to be made up.

But I think that's a separate issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now