Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

The number overweight people at swimming today

(353 Posts)
pingu2209 Tue 19-Feb-13 18:40:05

I went swimming today with my 3 children. I am not exagerating to say that well over half the children and teenagers were overweight; some were seriously obese.

It really was noticable. Girls as well as boys. Anything from age 4 to 14.

Okay - at least they were exercising but I was really shocked.

Cinnamom Sun 24-Feb-13 06:40:22

I absolutely agree with the OP that we need to start doing something. No point ignoring the facts. It is much more like smoking than it is black, muslim, etc Its a choice. Hard to believe but we do actually still decide what we eat. If it grows on a plant, eat more of it. If its made in a plant, eat less of it.

tree568 Mon 11-Mar-13 05:04:29

There aren't many overweight children at my children's schools but in the poorer areas some of the kids are quite large. I put that down to poor diets and relatively little for the children to do, e.g. vandalised parks.

Maybe obesity is a local issue though. I was in Newcastle recently - first time I have ever been - and was struck by the sheer size of the city centre, and being surrounded by so many slim people I felt like I was on a TV set for a new show called "Beautiful People". It was like being in an "overweight people not expected to enter" zone.

merlottits Mon 11-Mar-13 06:37:00

What a strange thread. The poor OP! She merely made an observation and was slated for it. She clearly wants to bring in ethnic fat cleansing and exterminate all the fatties. Not.

We are getting fatter. Pretending we aren't or getting so super sensitive that it can't be discussed is not going to help. Especially our children. It IS shocking. Does nobody else sometimes look around them and see just how many fat people there are and wonder - shit, what have we done?

It is about the price of processed food. It's about our taste buds being tuned to high sugar, high fat foods. It is about lack of time. I also feel its about stress and comfort eating. Everyone I know uses food (and alcohol) to feel better, as a drug. I personally think its almost nothing to do with lack of exercise.

I'm a fatty so I'm hardly sitting on my high horse judging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now