Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

The number overweight people at swimming today

(353 Posts)
pingu2209 Tue 19-Feb-13 18:40:05

I went swimming today with my 3 children. I am not exagerating to say that well over half the children and teenagers were overweight; some were seriously obese.

It really was noticable. Girls as well as boys. Anything from age 4 to 14.

Okay - at least they were exercising but I was really shocked.

ReluctantMother Tue 19-Feb-13 18:41:32

I hate people like you. People like you are the reason I won't go swimming.

slatternlymother Tue 19-Feb-13 18:41:35

Yes, you're right. At least they're exercising.

There are overweight people everywhere OP, I don't really understand the shock? I certainly had quite a few overweight children at my school, I don't think it's a new problem.

FloatyFlo Tue 19-Feb-13 18:43:04

Live and let live??

StuntGirl Tue 19-Feb-13 18:43:31

Is it Bash-a-Fatty day here ffs?

Overweight people doing exercise?! Surely not!
hmm

Rewrite your post but replace the word 'overweight' with disabled or black or Muslim. Is it still an acceptable attitude to have towards others?

ChewinTheFat Tue 19-Feb-13 18:44:12

Was going to say exactly what reluctantmother said.

MrsLouisTheroux Tue 19-Feb-13 18:44:42

Wow, how disgusting OP. Did all the water splash out when they jumped in?
Here's a tip for next time : STOP STARING AND WIND YOUR NECK IN

YouTheCat Tue 19-Feb-13 18:44:43

Pingu, you, and people like you, are the reason I don't go swimming/go to the gym etc. I have enough self-esteem issues without being judged.

Yep thanks Pingu. You with your little shocked face keeps me out of the pool too. Still, at least there'll be more water for you if I'm not there to displace it hmm

Trazzletoes Tue 19-Feb-13 18:44:59

What's the problem? I could maybe understand a little bit no, I'm lying if you were complaining about the number of overweight people at McDonalds, but seriously, people are allowed to have fun and exercise even if they're fat! How else are they going to achieve a healthy weight?!

Some of them have probably taken ages to pluck up the courage to get in a swimming pool for fear of judgemental looks or comments.

SugarPasteGreyhound Tue 19-Feb-13 18:45:12

I think op is maybe commenting on the number of kids who are overweight these days - an issue currently in the news - rather than a "Look! There's a fat kid - how disgusting" kind of comment.

Op there's a legacy to a lack of sport, increased TV and gaming time and school playing fields being sold off.

PickleSarnie Tue 19-Feb-13 18:45:26

Lovely. It's judgey panted people like you that stop people exercising. Why the hell does it matter to you since I'm assuming you have the perfect body?

Sparklingbrook Tue 19-Feb-13 18:45:38

confused

specialsubject Tue 19-Feb-13 18:45:48

so you'd rather they did nothing about their health problem?

not good they get fat in the first place, but we all make mistakes. They are trying to correct theirs. What are you doing to be a better person?

pingu2209 Tue 19-Feb-13 18:45:50

ReluctantMother, sorry if I offend you. I wasn't thinking about them as individuals and personally thinking they are 'bad' or anything. I was more shocked that as a society we are so much bigger than I had remembered the last time I went swimming (possibly over 10 years ago!)

I know it is in all the news etc. But I was saddened so see so many children so very overweight. If as an adult you are overweight then that is up to you, but the children were huge. It is really sad for them.

Eebahgum Tue 19-Feb-13 18:45:57

As an overweight adult who loves swimming I think YABU. You clearly have no idea how much confidence it takes to put a swimming costume on & venture out in public when you don't look like a supermodel. Surely overweight children swimming is a good thing?

BreadForMyBREADGUN Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:13

People like you are why I don't go swimming, even though it would be a really good form of exercise for me because of my fucked knees.

cookielove Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:22

WATF?

i have no words hmm

usualsuspect Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:39

ODFO

MrsKeithRichards Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:45

Did you enjoy your swim?

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:48

I'm a thin person. Been thin all my life. And even I am offended by the OP.

It's not fucking news that British people are gaining weight, on average.

And, you know what? I don't think there is an easy answer. I don't think anyone has a definite idea of why people are getting fatter and I don't think there's a known way to lose weight and keep it off.

If you're thin, it's likely down to genetics, ie luck. That's how I am. I fucking eat like Elvis and I'm thin. My husband eats less food than I do and he's obese. I have witnessed his struggles first-hand and I am sick of fatty-bashing.

ReluctantMother is right. It is attitudes like this that make me so self conscious when I exercise - well, whenever I step out of the house, in fact. sad

Walk a mile in my shoes and then see if you can be a bit less judgemental.

YouTheCat Tue 19-Feb-13 18:47:29

What is sad is that these poor kids are being stared at and judged whilst they have fun and exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now