To speak to this boy about his tattoos. And how?

(56 Posts)
pouffepants Sun 17-Feb-13 19:27:15

A young lad of 15 lives next door, he hangs around with ds sometimes, and is really lovely. Often in and out of our house, and really chirpy and friendly.

He has got a tattoo, on his lower stomach, of his niece's name. It has been done by his dad, who has a new 'career' plan every week, and this week's is tattooist. The tattoo is wonky, and has a capital letter in the middle, and is of a weirdly spelt name anyway.

The other lads think it's hilarious, but are not laughing, they are deliberately telling him that it's really cool, and are 'fake' saying how cool they think his parents are for doing it. They are egging him on to show as many kids as possible. He's absolutely lapping it up and strutting around, and making a show of pulling down his waistband in a posey manner.

One of the boys told him straight, it looked stupid, but he was just told that he was jealous that his parents weren't so cool.

Anyway, I now hear that's he's intending on getting mum tattooed on one arm, and dad on the other. Even though ds thought the original one was hysterical, he thinks this is too silly to leave, so has attempted to tell him it's a bad idea, but has also been accused of being jealous.

So should I attempt to speak to him? He's never going to listen to me anyway is he?

Disclaimer, I've not seen the tattoo, but all the boys agree that's what it looks like.

You wouldn't investigate a father effectively branding his underaged son?

Would it be investigated if he was cutting him or burning him and leaving permanant scars as long as he had the child consent because he thought scars look 'cool'?

No-one under the age of 18 can get a tattoo regardless of parental consent.

Remotecontrolduck Sun 17-Feb-13 22:39:56

It's not so much that it's a 'child protection issue' getting a tattoo at 15 (well, it is I suppose), it's the fact that his dad is doing it himself, with no training, leaving him open to disease, infection etc.

Plus, the poor lad is going to be so embarrassed about them in a year or twos time and be desperate to get rid. Laser removal is very very expensive. The one he has is easily hidden, anything on his arms are not. I'm 99% sure he'll regret this. Report to police to save him several grand in laser removal.

StuntGirl Sun 17-Feb-13 22:44:33

To be honest there are actually no qualifications or training schemes or anything at all for tattoo artists. It's a totally self-regulating industry (that's why there are so many shit ones). Whoever said anyone can do it is bob on. To open a tattoo studio you need a licence from your local council, and to pass the inspections, and that's it.

But yes, I suspect he knows less than fuck all about safe practices, and that's a dangerous thing.

CSIJanner Sun 17-Feb-13 22:46:03

Tell you what OP - if you don't want to report your law breaking, health risking twunt of a neighbour, PM his name address and his sons name to one of us and we'll do it for you with no blame nor onus on you.

Your neighbour will have his equipment seized, will be slapped with fines and will face 2 years in jail for exposing his son to Hep, HIV, infection etc, plus from your sons description, piss poor artwork etched onto his child's body for life.

Unlicensed Tattooists

DeepPurple Sun 17-Feb-13 22:52:16

Littlewhitebag shock you work with abused kids and wouldn't investigate a parent assaulting their child? I think you are in the wrong job!

A child of 15 cannot consent to a tattoo and a parent cannot consent on their behalf.

Get the police involved - it is assault.

StuntGirl Sun 17-Feb-13 23:01:14

I think someone upthread raised an interesting point; they asked if someone was cutting or branding their child would people be up in arms about it. There is a form of body modification similar to tattooing called branding, and one called scarification. Branding burns designs onto the skin, and scarification involves cutting the pattern into the skin. If the dad decided to get into one of these markets and practised on his son, would it be fobbed off by anyone? Or rightly seen as the abuse it is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now