To believe that you are innocent until found guilty in court

(124 Posts)

Very sad to find that so many people think that if charged with child abuse someone is guilty.

The words child abuse make us all go cold and I am the first to think death is to good. However it gets like a witch hunt ever time someone is accused.

I say change the law to make only those found guilty put all over the press.

I have a relative accused at present and waiting to go to court. In our case so much local support from friends and relatives but not everyone has that. (The accuser is the one who has spread it about where we live, not us).

I know people feel they would want to now but surely you only let people you trust around your children.

If charged people can not work with kids and it is normal for bail to include not being around/alone with under 16s.

Sirboobalot -

Think we all feel that.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Sat 16-Feb-13 23:52:37

you appear to believe the internet is for a load of people to agree with you about how outrageous this false allegation is. I have no idea of the truth of it and nor does anyone else reading this. frankly the more of your loopy posts I read the more inclined I am to think that anyone associated with you must be a bit dubious.
Really, just stop it. Let justice take its course. if the whole thing is the plapbale nonsense you claim it is, he'll be acquitted. This is not the place.

I am amazed if the CPS take on any child abuse case that does involve someone innocent, tbh.

Only because, as someone working in child services, i see child abusers and rapists not going to court, weekly, because the CPS won't allow the charges to be brought.

OP you shouldn't have discussed an ongoing case in such detail on a parenting site, different it it was a hypothetical situation.

Not nice if the family involved is on here.

There's something very off with this thread/poster.

How do you know your family member is innocent?

You talk about historical abuse having a higher conviction rate with contempt?

You talk about how four of the eight counts 'involved clothes' and the other four...???

This is about a child being sexually abused. I feel a bit ill tbh.

I will say this though: from bitter experience, abusers can very easily go unknown and undetected. And the police certainly don't swan around arresting people on a whim, or even because of one person's story.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Sun 17-Feb-13 00:00:42

I've asked for this thread to be deleted. It's inappropriate for so many reasons.

No children involved apart from mine and social services the police have done there thing and not worried about my kids. They do know he is in my house regularly so long as until case over not with kids allow (bail conditions) on problem.

I am not stating any facts that are not already available to the public if anyone cared to find them. He was charged in an open court so charges out there plus her relation to him. She is older than me so no child. It is historic abuse so no dna, no hard evidence available to cps just statements. Which is normal for these cases.

Ok now abuse me again or lets help be get my head around reasons for and against press publishing arrests and charges.

Should say kids alone

???

Er if he's been charged with child abuse then his victim was a child, yes?

The abuse is alleged to off happened over 30 years ago when she was a child

ComposHat Sun 17-Feb-13 00:13:32

Having sat on a jury and observed the thought processes and rationale of some of my fellow jurors for reaching their verdict, I would argue that the judgement of the court is a pretty inaccurate way of ascertaining whether someone had committed an offence.

Well yes I understand that.

I got confused when you started saying there were no children involved and obviously the victim was a child at the time!

Anyway, I digress. My point is you don't know that your relative is innocent and in my experience it takes some doing to get a case like this to trial.

I'm not a "there's no smoke without fire" type but there would have to be reason for the police to think this person's story about your relative is true!

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Sun 17-Feb-13 00:18:34

There will have been pretty rigorous scrutiny of the evidence, including the complainant's credibility. The OP has been alleging on other threads some kind of polic vendetta. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. As I said, this thread is distasteful and I hope it will be gone by the time I get up tomorrow.

McNewPants2013 Sun 17-Feb-13 00:23:17

Can I asked what makes you belive he is innocent.

Don't you think it has taken this women alot of courage to report this alleged abuse that maybe damaged her childhood.

I am backing MN campaign of 'I belive you' so when a women says she had been raped I will belive her.

I am backing MN campaign of 'I belive you' so when a women says she had been raped I will belive her.

Excellent point.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OTTMummA Sun 17-Feb-13 00:32:32

I think you should probably up to your gp and ask for therapy if it us upsetting you this much op.
I would advise you to stop posting such details for your sake, these can make you very identifiable.
Are you in denial? Questioning wether you have placed your trust in the wrong person?
MN has an ' I believe you' stance, I give my support to anyone who says they have been abused, wether that is now or 30yrs ago.

Dromedary Sun 17-Feb-13 00:36:54

I'm guessing the OP is talking about her father. Must be very hard for her.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I'm bowing out.

I have been to doctor as 6 months ago it hit me hard. Shaking, head racing, not sleeping etc.... On pills for first time in my life.

Case to be held in the same place as my ABH and sexual assault case. Can not put into words how that makes me feel. Don't think they will get a word out of me on the day.

Hard to believe anyone that knows what I went through can do this.

McNewPants2013 Sun 17-Feb-13 00:49:42

So hand on your heart, would you trust him unsepervised with your children.

McNewPants2013 Sun 17-Feb-13 00:50:38

Unsupervised

OTTMummA Sun 17-Feb-13 00:51:54

I don't think you are as sure of your opinion as you make out.
I feel sorry for you op, but I really think this is not the best place to come and talk specifics.

CoalDustWoman Sun 17-Feb-13 00:55:03

Innocent until proven guilty is a legal status that means that the Crown must prove the case against the accused beyond reasonable doubt. It I am sure that this must have been said alrey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now