re Facebook and the pictures of James Bulger's killers

(348 Posts)

A friend of mine on Facebook has posted the pictures of James Bulger's killers as they look 'today'. I have no idea where they have come from or if they are actually the two men involved (and I don't know if she knows any of this information).

AIBU to report these pictures? She has had loads of support under her post.

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Fri 15-Feb-13 19:01:27

Denise Fergus, sorry.

WidowWadman Fri 15-Feb-13 19:02:58

I've just defriended a colleague because of this.

babyfirefly1980 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:06:55

I was going to start a thread about this...it has come up alot on my FB.

I think it is very dangerous to say the least, you can't put pictures of people on the internet and claim they are child killers when nobody knows who they are. So irresponsible without any proof at all.

AmberLeaf Fri 15-Feb-13 19:33:57

Ive seen pictures of 3 different adult men that are supposed to be either JV or RT.

One man is already dead after killing himself after being wrongly accused of being RT a few years back.

People are just so bloody thick!

Midori1999 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:39:44

I saw this earlier as someone I know had shared it and wondered if it was actually him or just the usual crap that circulates on facebook that people share without finding out if it's true or not.

I suspect it's not him and that some poor person will have their life ruined over this, or worse...

AgentZigzag Fri 15-Feb-13 19:51:58

I've just had these come up on my fb news feed, and was wondering what it says about the people who are sharing them.

It wouldn't be something I would do, but some people might like the feeling they're able to do something for James Bulger and his mum by lessening the places Jon Venables can hide from how society as a whole feels about him.

ifancyashandy Fri 15-Feb-13 20:02:54

But the issue is, not all society feel the same way about him. That's why I hate the pictures appearing on my timeline.

Don't get me wrong, I remember the horrific, heinous, tragedy and my repulsion at it hasn't lessened. But 'outing' the 'murderers' (only in inverted commas due to not knowing if those featured in the photos are those involved) does nothing but create a witch hunt.

And I want no part of that.

gimmecakeandcandy Fri 15-Feb-13 20:06:24

You have defriended people for posting these pics? Really? If these are the photos of these monsters I couldn't care less if they are posted everywhere as they never should have been let out. I personally would not post these pictures or comment on them but I don't care for these two lowlifes at all.

AgentZigzag Fri 15-Feb-13 20:11:04

Perhaps 'on the whole' would have been more accurate ifancy?

I don't agree with hounding people across the internet either, but a lot of people who aren't affected by it directly and feel strongly probably see the easy click of a mouse as a way of 'getting involved' IYSWIM?

Fairylea Fri 15-Feb-13 20:11:24

Gimmie... I think the point is no one knows IF it is him or not. So effectively they could be making an innocent man a walking dead man.

If it was absolutely certain it was him I wouldn't care either. But we don't know that.

WidowWadman Fri 15-Feb-13 20:12:04

gimmecake

Yes, I have defriended, because

a) vigilantism is moronic and wrong
b) contempt of court is moronic and wrong
c) spreading unverified rumours is moronic, wrong and libellous.

I don't need morons on my friends list.

I agree that the major issue here is potentially finger pointing at an innocent man.

However, I do think that even if I was sure it was him, I still would want no part of it. Vigilantism is not the way.

MortifiedAdams Fri 15-Feb-13 20:15:19

It is dangerous, posdibly deadly, to post photos of random.men who may or may not be JV or RT. I will be reporting shiuld they appear.on my feed.

somewherewest Fri 15-Feb-13 20:19:14

I'm now in the middle of a FB row about it (LMAO).

I've just written a Facebook update asking people not to share them as some idiot somewhere is a going to beat the shit out of an innocent man because he happens to look like one of the pictures. I'm wondering if the friend who shared them will respond to it! The picture was on 25,000 shares when I got it.

AgentZigzag Fri 15-Feb-13 20:19:57

What kind of person was the one you defriended though Widow?

I wouldn't get rid of a good friend on there for posting that, it's not a good choice to make, but it's hardly on par with a racist rant which'd make you see them in a different light.

Unless you didn't think much of them anyway or this was something you just couldn't get your head round in someone you know?

WidowWadman Fri 15-Feb-13 20:21:43

Why do you think it's hardly on par with a racist rant?

AgentZigzag Fri 15-Feb-13 20:24:23

Because it's less black and white - to me - Widow.

WidowWadman Fri 15-Feb-13 20:26:09

Well, if you think that contempt of court, libel and vigilantism are acceptable, than that's up to you. I don't.

pigletmania Fri 15-Feb-13 20:26:18

I agree gimmi if they are te actual perpetrators, but it is dangerous if they are not. I would not defriend, overreacting and very heavy handed, Mabey message the person sharing them to say not to share them as they may not bethe actual killers

pigletmania Fri 15-Feb-13 20:28:02

If they were the actual pictures I don't gve a stuff widow but those pictures may not be the killers

FoxyRevenger Fri 15-Feb-13 20:28:40

I just defriended someone too.

People who post stuff like this just seem to be...so thick, it's the worst kind of lowest common denominator shite that Facebook is bloody riddled with.

Like it or not, these men (who were, lets no forget, children at the time of their crime) have served the punishment they were given. Protecting their new identities is the state's attempt at preventing more criminal acts taking place.

So to go and share what are apparently updated photos of them, which could in reality be anyone at all, is just fucking stupid.

It's not far from here to taking your children to stand outside courts with a sign saying PEEDOS R EEVIL.

DeltaUniformDeltaEcho Fri 15-Feb-13 20:30:05

I saw a couple of these pop up over the last few days. Someone had commented that it was an idiot thing to do and a few years ago someone took his life after someone had wrongly accused him as being one of the boys.

I don't know if that's true but imo it's probably a very real possibility.

TheBigJessie Fri 15-Feb-13 20:30:59

If those pictures are the real McCoy, then some more money is going to go down the drain on new identities.

Gee, thanks, "public-spirited" FB-sharers!

WidowWadman Fri 15-Feb-13 20:34:13

Piglet - I don't think it would be acceptable even if the picture did show the actual guys. What do you actually want to achieve by sharing them? A lynchmob going out and kill them and then bask in the warm glow of the idea that you may have helped find them by sharing?

Society wins nothing by exercising revenge. Nothing that will happen today can undo what happened 20 years ago.

AmberLeaf Fri 15-Feb-13 20:39:58

Delta a man called scott bradley killed himself after being accused of being robert thompson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now