Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think cadburys chocolate has changed

(159 Posts)

And those egg & spoon things taste nothing like cadburysconfused

Why am I getting adverts for Cadburys egg and spoon thing when I look at this thread? Are we being watched by Them?!

If so, give me the old yummy Dairy Milk back grin

Ooh, and now it's gone.

Ha. Scared them away!

barleysugar Fri 05-Apr-13 17:39:17

I've been so disappointed in the Easter eggs this year, they sort of slide into pieces rather than that familiar crack, when the chocolate used to be more brittle. Slimy, and greasy tasting now.

I've never had leftover chocolate in the house before - now I've got a pile of half eaten eggs lying about.

I wish the PR people would take notice.

wonderingsoul Fri 05-Apr-13 17:48:45

im more angry with galaxy. about 6 years ago they OPENLY admitted to changing it.

improving it.. they said. more enjoyable.. they said..

why fuck with something that aint broke is what i say

angry

UnknownGnome Fri 05-Apr-13 18:13:57

I miss the old style Easter eggs. There used to be two separate halves with a little bag of chocolates inside. Now the halves are joined and can't be split without breaking the whole thing. It bugs me more than it should!

Mumsyblouse Fri 05-Apr-13 18:27:07

Lidl is a good option, I like the 60% dark chocolate, not too dark chocolatey and there is a range of %. I can't say I have noticed the Cadbury's decline, except in Roses which were so vile I couldn't give away our tin this Christmas, really disgusting and all had a cheap back-taste as if the orange dream had seeped into all of them (I think they were better protected from each other in the old wrappers perhaps?)

WaterfallsOver Fri 05-Apr-13 18:35:12

Yanbu, I used to love Cadbury but I'm sure they've cheapened the recipe as now it tastes horrible!

outtolunchagain Fri 05-Apr-13 18:44:47

Vile now , first noticed it about 6 months ago , sort of slimy and tasteless now. Such a shame , I bought dh a Divine ginger and orange egg for Easter and that had very good reviews , it's also Fairtrade

Allegrogirl Fri 05-Apr-13 19:05:07

YANBU. Thank goodness I am not alone. It's gone really sweet and oily. The bars actually look shiny too. I miss the dry crumblyness of the old Dairymilk.

I bloody knew this would happen when Cadbury got bought out.

milktraylady Fri 05-Apr-13 19:39:03

Gonna stop lurking now (ex Cadbury employee & was on the Cadbury dairy milk tasting panel)

Re the suspected recipe change- Cadbury could be correct by claiming they haven't changed the recipe ... BUT ... They might have changed the proportions of the ingredients.
(They honestly always did do slight tweaks after feedback, so being owned by Kraft isn't going to change that)

Plus where it's made will make a difference. Because cadburys is the only chocolate company to use FRESH milk, not dried. So in uk it's fresian cows milk from the Birmingham area, Dublin factory has Irish cows milk, Poland has polish cows milk. And I've you've ever done a "taste test" between Irish & UK cadburys you will find a difference. (Type of cow & the grass they eat changes the taste) And it's only the milk that's the changed ingredient between Irish & UK choc.

However, putting the milk thing aside- They might have changed the type of fat. Why I think this- I had a roses egg for Easter. It was rubbish! No "snap" when breaking it, slimy and just not very cadburys. But the roses chocs seemed to be normal. (Made in bournville still afaik)

Plus Kraft has much bigger buying power on the world commodity markets for fats. And if cadburys really is fair trade coca now, to keep making the same profits they need to save money on other ingredients.

There you go, that's my two penneth worth. (Sitting here eating Aldi mini eggs!shock)

I think that being bought by Kraft has done a huge damage to the brand reputation, it's a real pity blush

outtolunchagain Fri 05-Apr-13 19:51:24

Very interesting stuff milltraylady.

milktraylady Fri 05-Apr-13 19:53:04

I am a chocolate nerd!
I can taste the difference between a 200g bar & a 52g bar of choc!

Prefer wine tasting tho! wine

Sorry to bump, but I'm pleased I found this thread.

I had a bar of Dairy Milk tonight for the first time in months (diet), and it tasted exactly like cheap Easter egg. There's an oily rancid aftertaste that hasn't gone away even after a cup of tea!

I feel really weird that Cadbury's as I knew it has gone sad

Slavetothechild Wed 05-Jun-13 23:59:40

wink thought it was just me !!!!! It has definatly changed and not for the better. Boo bring back our choccy buttons how we like them

Kasterborous Thu 06-Jun-13 00:09:12

I was just thinking of starting a thread about this! I had a twirl bar for the first time in ages and the fingers of it were much thiner, and it didn't taste right. Also had one of their boost bars a couple of weeks ago and the caramel in it was really soft, it used to be lovely and chewy. It's crap now.

Mimishimi Thu 06-Jun-13 00:14:01

It's changed here in Australia. Instead of making the fats pure cocoa butter like they used to, they started substituting it with vegetable oil, like American chocolate. It's awful now. Once they could rely on us buying a block of their chocolate once a week, now it's only every couple of months. Good for our figures I suppose. Happily, Cadbury's in India still make it the old way and we just enjoy ourselves then.

ICanTotallyDance Thu 06-Jun-13 08:40:20

^ yes, there was a big uproar in Australia/New Zealand over Cadbury when they had the palm oil thing. In NZ, where I am, most people converted to Whittakers and haven't looked back. They changed the recipe back (supposedly) but it hasn't got any better so it it not consumed in my household any more.

C999875 Thu 06-Jun-13 10:25:15

I thought that as well. It's certainly not as nice. How true this is I don't know but I'm sure I heard that cadbury's had been taken over by kraft. xx

C999875 Thu 06-Jun-13 10:25:46

I thought that as well. It's certainly not as nice. How true this is I don't know but I'm sure I heard that cadbury's had been taken over by kraft. xx

msrisotto Thu 06-Jun-13 12:58:40

They are now owned by the plastic people and i have gone off the chocolate now. It's probably a combinationof things, the change in the perception of the brand, the change of the look of the chocolate (rounded, bubbly bars, packaging) and the taste which is indeed more like cheap Easter egg. Too much change alienates loyal customers.

LongTimeLurking Thu 06-Jun-13 14:48:51

Yes it has a kind of shiny/greasy texture to it now and just doesn't taste "right". I don't believe the recipe can NOT have changed and they have certainly made all the portion sizes smaller.

I find some of the nicest chocolate and chocolatey snacks come from the budget supermarkets - Aldi, lidl, etc.

LongTimeLurking Thu 06-Jun-13 14:50:34

"ThinkAboutItOnBoxingDay Thu 14-Feb-13 02:46:32
My guess is that it's all about the manufacture not the recipe.

The cadburys we used to know and love was, by chocolate standards (and for technical purists) very coarse, being only milled to about 24 microns. I reckon experts from kraft have come in and in the genuine belief they are improving the quality, started milling cadbury more finely. To our expectations, having been reared on cadburys being quite coarse it tastes WRONG, ALL WRONG
"
That explains it.... I used to love the coarser texture/taste of dairy milk vs something smooth like galaxy.

hortensemancini Thu 06-Jun-13 16:50:05

I have just scoffed a small bar of Irish Dairy Milk. I can confirm that it is still delicious if ridiculously expensive when bought off eBay by a desperate woman. Even the packaging is nicer: a neat little eight-square bar with old-fashioned gold foil, and proper wrapping.

What have those feckers done to our English chooooooocolate?!?! [shakes fist at sky] It is surely some bigger American revenge for Piers Morgan.

EldritchCleavage Thu 06-Jun-13 17:10:07

DH is grieving for Daily Milk as it used to be. Any suggestions for substitutes from me makes him howl in protest. I will have to send him to Aldi.

squoosh Thu 06-Jun-13 17:14:57

Some of the bigger Tescos have an Irish part to their world food section which sells the far superior Irish Cadbury's chocolate. I saw Mint Crisp, Dairy Milk and Tiffins the other day. I nearly whooped with joy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now