Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To cry every time I hear Slipping through my fingers in Mamma Mia

(148 Posts)
crazy8 Tue 12-Feb-13 23:44:47

I have a gorgeous, beautiful sometimes bratty DD who is 7. I can't imagine her growing up and leaving home. I know it will happen one day.

I don't cry - but my stomach flips over every time I hear it. DD is 16 months.

pookamoo Tue 12-Feb-13 23:48:16

YANBU I cried at this in the maternity unit. DD1 was two days old and it was already going too fast!

crazy8 Tue 12-Feb-13 23:48:28

I can't wait until she gets in my bed in the morning now for a cuddle.

Startail Tue 12-Feb-13 23:48:47

Don't DD1 is 15, all too soon she'll be off at college.

Her younger sister (12) is lovely, but she's far more the teenager.

DD1 is happy to chat and do things with her parents, it will be so quiet.

eachtigertires Tue 12-Feb-13 23:52:41

My mum cries every time we listen to that song together even though I am much much older than your daughter

Bakingnovice Tue 12-Feb-13 23:54:48

Oh god, have a lump in my throat just reading this thread. Cannot even think of not having dd in my life 24/7. In fact am already trying hard to be brave about her starting reception in sept.

ladymariner Tue 12-Feb-13 23:55:28

I've just cried too watching it, and gone upstairs to hug ds......who is 17, holed up in his den listening to thrash metal and who promptly rolled his eyes at me and groaned grin

thebody Tue 12-Feb-13 23:58:39

I can't believe u texted this.

Our dd nearly did really slip through our fingers this time last year.

The girls coach she was on, a school trip crashed and all the girls were injured, some still suffering including my dd and some injured for life.

We are meeting for lunch next week, mums and dds and I keep just thinking if that track.

Beautifully terrible.

rootypig Wed 13-Feb-13 00:04:14

oh man, am bawling. DD is 14 weeks! no hope

crazy8 Wed 13-Feb-13 00:09:13

The body. How awful. Am very glad your daughter is ok. We will all have to hug our DC tmrw. My DS1 and DS2 think I am nuts and am an over protective mother. Luckily my DD is still young enough not to notice how mad I am!

sadeyedladyofthelowlandsase Wed 13-Feb-13 00:17:31

It made me cry before I even had children, made me weep when DS was born,and now with DD I am inconsolable. I won't even allow her to carry her school bag as it reminds me of the song too much.

JeeanieYuss Wed 13-Feb-13 08:39:48

Just youtube'd it as I don't remeber it from film, what a lovely, sad song..
Time goes to quickly sad

JeeanieYuss Wed 13-Feb-13 08:39:58

Just youtube'd it as I don't remeber it from film, what a lovely, sad song..
Time goes too quickly sad

Fairylea Wed 13-Feb-13 08:49:11

Yanbu. I always cry. And I think about my own relationship with my mum too.

thegreylady Wed 13-Feb-13 08:51:04

Look on YouTube for the 60's Kodak advert song Turn Around. That makes me cry. "Turn around and she's growing. Turn around and she's grown. Turnaround and she's a young wife with babes of her own."
Dated but poignant. My dd is 38 now, it has all come true :-)

lottie63 Wed 13-Feb-13 08:54:54

I cry too.

Wildwaterfalls Wed 13-Feb-13 08:55:02

Oh yes, crying at this before I had DD, now I can barely listen to it any more.

And 'In my daughter's eyes' by Martina McBride.. Sniff sniff

newbiebaby Wed 13-Feb-13 09:12:40

Why I don't know but just you tubed it and am balling my eyes out!!!

Makes me cry too!

DeafLeopard Wed 13-Feb-13 09:24:14

Nothing to add but <<sobs>>

AngryBeaver Wed 13-Feb-13 09:27:53

Oh god yes, dd is 6. And I love to sing.
I cannot. ever.finish.that song.
It catches in my throat at "the feeling that I'm losing her forever..." sad

AngryBeaver Wed 13-Feb-13 09:30:46

Oh balls, just tried again...blubbing now!

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 13-Feb-13 09:41:59

I hate this. Mine are DS 7, dd 5 and ds2, 3. They drive me mental, especially during the day. They fight, argue, ds1 yells at me, stomps around, they make mess, cause chaos, don't listen, don't do as they're told, moan if we have to go anywhere "boring". I constantly seem to be yelling at them or telling them off. I just got mega pissed off AGAIN because one of them isn't flushing the toilet after using it. Grrrrrr. They really do drive me nuts and sometimes I could just string them up by their feet and run away and never to return!

Then once they're in bed I sometimes get really tears about them growing up and want to climb into bed next to each of them and sob!

It's a no win situation it really is!

Bakingnovice Wed 13-Feb-13 09:42:27

Stop It everyone I'm a wreck again this morning. Every word is true. Time just goes so fast and before you know it they've gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now