Not to rush back to the shop with unintentionally shoplifted item

(56 Posts)
EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 09-Feb-13 16:53:10

Went into town today, bought a new rucksack. Didn't look inside before buying it.

Got it home. Opened it up to look inside and there is a purse inside. Purse has a price sticker on for £9.99.

Now I suppose I've technically stolen this purse, although I didn't put it in the rucksack in the first place.

So I should take it back, right? But I wasn't planning to go to town again for another couple of weeks, I don't have time/inclination to make a special journey.

You're all going to tell me I have to take it back, I realise that.

But it would be OK to wait until I'm next passing, right?

Don't mind either way, but kudos for managing not to split any infinitives in the thread title. grin

McNewPants2013 Sat 09-Feb-13 20:35:25

It's not easy for a shop to take it back, I tried taking back something and they told me to keep it as once the stock check had been done there wasn't nothing on the computer system to put it back in stock ( if that makes sense)

NTitled Sat 09-Feb-13 22:56:35

I rushed back to a shop once with a lemon that DD had secreted in the buggy. The shop manager thought I was a loon, but my conscience was clear.

Dromedary Sat 09-Feb-13 23:04:26

Just had a "shoplifting incident" - I left a shop, not having bought anything, and the shopkeeper followed me out and tried to engage me in conversation, while peering in the bag I was carrying. She obviously thought I'd nicked something. I found it really upsetting (I gave her a close up of the contents of the bag and told her I would not be visiting her shop again). Yes I know it's not personal, but it still got to me, and she didn't apologise.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 10-Feb-13 02:03:37

I've had the to much change given at the till thing as well.I was given much to much went to say something got accused of telling lies and pulling a fast one, when I insisted she was incorrect I was sworn at,

Even when I said "why would I be lying about you giving me to much" she still said "I don't make mistakes"

So I left.

MrsDoomsPatterson Sun 10-Feb-13 02:14:15

I use self scan at Waitrose. One shop I put my bags in the trolley and started shopping. First item in the bag and I realised I hadn't seen a lime from the previous shop and, despite paying for said lime, realised that if I happened to be randomly chosen that day for a rescan I would be thought of as 'The citrus thief' - so I put it back! That's honesty for ya.

Something similar happened to me one time and I called Walmart and they laughed, told me not to worry about it and not to bother returning it.

raisah Sun 10-Feb-13 05:11:00

I bought a handbag for my SIL (bday present) along with other stuff.
Wrapped it up & gave it to her no problems. A few days later when I was
Going through receipt did I notice that the shop didn't charge me for the bag. The cashier scanned it through but it didn't register on the receipt.
Too late to do anything about it, so I got a £40 bag for free!

A few years ago I had a toddler in a buggy and after a while realised she was clutching a watch she had pulled of the shelf a couple of shops ago! I was horrified and took it back but they told me to just keep it - they refused to take it back. No idea why but I loved that watch it the end lasted me a couple of years!

NynaevesSister Sun 10-Feb-13 09:47:36

Having spent my student years working in shops and for my parents shop all I can think of is the worker getting docked for the missing cash or items and the small shops with tiny margins.

That said I have walked out of supermarkets to get home and find the bag of potatoes or litre bottle of 40p pop in thd bottom of the buggy and honestly not had the energy to think about taking it back.

I'd return it. I couldnt use the item having not paid for it. It was an accident it probably happens all the time and tbh it would probably help restore the staffs faith in people given the crap retail staff put up with daily.

FaceLikeAPickledOnion Sun 10-Feb-13 10:18:04

I'd return it in this instance.
But occasionally I have gone to the checkout to pay for an item and the price has scanned lower than the ticket price, then I've kept quiet and not made a fuss about being under charged.

TheCatIsEatingIt Sun 10-Feb-13 12:47:15

I'd be too scared to return it. I'd charity shop it.

michtaylor Sun 10-Feb-13 12:48:57

"Truly shocked by the idea of keeping it. I hope those posters are joking."

So do I. I work in a shop, (part of a big chain). Any stock loses are deducted from our very small bonuses every year.

CountTurdula Sun 10-Feb-13 12:54:45

Which rucksack did you buy? I am hankering after a rucksack similar to the one I had in the 90's.

IAmLouisWalsh Sun 10-Feb-13 12:54:59

I have wandered off with stuff hanging from the back of the pushchair or tucked into the hood before. I usually legged it back, but did manage to get home from the Railway museum in York (an hour's drive) with two 99p sticker books that I ended up keeping...

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 10-Feb-13 13:18:31

It's a Jeep rucksack.

And don't worry everyone, I'm not going to keep the purse. I'm just not rushing back with it because I don't see why I should make a special journey when it wasn't my fault.

I'll sneak in and put it back on the shelf. Sort of reverse shoplifting.

JenaiMorris Sun 10-Feb-13 13:22:41

Don't do that you loon!

Take it up to the counter otherwise you will look like a shoplifter, even if you're reverse tea leafing grin

Branleuse Sun 10-Feb-13 13:34:43

id keep it

CountTurdula Sun 10-Feb-13 14:59:49

Don't put it on the shelf. If someone sees you do that they could be forgiven for thinking you're planting a bomb. I'm serious.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 10-Feb-13 15:02:24

A very small bomb. It's the purse I'm returning, not the rucksack.

I phoned them earlier, I explained, customers services lady laughed and said when I returned it could I bring the receipt.

I explained slowly and carefully to her that it wouldn't show on the receipt because I hadn't paid for it.

She said they need to see the receipt so they can see who sold it to me.

So I'm probably getting the checkout operator in trouble for not checking inside bags.

minicreamegg Sun 10-Feb-13 15:06:15

I wouldn't bother returning it, you'll get no thanks and the checkout person will get in trouble. Keep it for a present or hand in to charity shop.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 10-Feb-13 15:13:42

Very easy: phone the shop and say what happened. Explain that you will bring it back, but it might not be for a week or two. Make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to.

Go to shop, walk up to till and say that you spoke to X about this purse, and you are returning it as discussed. Don't rummage around furtively trying to put it back on the shelf unnoticed - you will look like you're trying to nick something.

If they tell you not to worry about it, donate it to charity.

JenaiMorris Sun 10-Feb-13 15:14:07

I didn't return a (small) road atlas that I inadvertently half-inched because it was my fault and I didn't want anyone to get into trouble.

Just hand it back and say you've lost the receipt. Or indeed charity shop it.

CountTurdula Sun 10-Feb-13 15:17:03

You see my point though don't you? it doesn't have to be a purse. Anyone walking into a place be it a shop, hotel, airport... anywhere then producing an item from their bag or pocket, leaving it and walking off looks suspicious yes? Personally I'd keep it but you don't want to. Take it to customer services, explain and walk off. No other action needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now