to think bringing an 18 month old to an evening baby shower

(60 Posts)
FutTheShuckUp Fri 01-Feb-13 21:46:15

Is not on and also smacks of not wanting anyone to get more attention than your little darling?
This person wants to bring her child to every event going no matter how unsuitable and it just smacks of attention seeking. AIBU

Nanny0gg Sat 02-Feb-13 11:44:22

You know, Baby showers are optional, you neither have to have one or go to one.
But they can be great fun. It can be an 'excuse' for a group of friends and family to get together and they can be as big or as small as you like.

Just please, for these and any other events, think of the time and place, and don't automatically think that every 'do' has to be attended by your precious infant.

Sometimes, you just have to miss out.

WorriedMummy73 Sat 02-Feb-13 11:59:54

The baby shower was an evening gathering at a pub.

Excuse me, but what? That's not a baby shower! That's a piss-up at the pub. I have a lot of American friends who would be appalled at how we've pinched their idea of a friend's get together to celebrate the imminent birth of one of the group, usually with lunch and maybe a bit of champagne, and turned into yet another British 'let's go on the lash' scenario. One of my best friends (yes, American) had a mini shower, at her house, in the daytime, kids invited, she made cakes, we had coffee, shared stories and laughs of labour and motherhood. An evening gathering at a pub is NOT a baby shower, however you paint it. And yes, YABU, especially as it's not YOUR 'baby shower' (snorts) so who are you to comment on whether another guest brings their 18 month old.

Having said that, who the eff wants to take their 18 month old to the pub in the evening anyway?

pigletmania Sat 02-Feb-13 13:03:31

I know tat is not a baby shower but a booze up, you don't go into a pub to drink coke and orange juice

If she's spoken to the host beforehand then it's fine, if not then a bit of an imposition.

I don't get the obsession with needing one person to have all the attention at an event. Surely grown ups can take turns showing an interest in each other, or in each other's kids.

DonderandBlitzen Sat 02-Feb-13 13:37:17

The host probably chose to have her baby shower at the pub in the evening because she thought "Surely if i have it at the pub in the evening then people will realise it is supposed to be child free."

TomDudgeon Sat 02-Feb-13 13:48:35

Why the hell would would you have a hen night style baby shower
Oh yes let's all get pissed even though the person it's all for cant
Weird

WhatsTheBuzz Sat 02-Feb-13 15:22:12

absolutely, we should never take our children anywhere lest they hog all the limelight.........

WhatsTheBuzz Sat 02-Feb-13 15:28:12

jesus, you might want to let whoever's baby shower this is, know that once her baby is here, she needn't expect any invites to anything if she's planning on bringing him/her.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 02-Feb-13 15:48:30

A baby shower in a pub? Wow, the baby shower institution has enjoyed quite a transmutation in its move across the Atlantic.

MusicalEndorphins Sat 02-Feb-13 17:17:17

That doesn't sound like any baby shower I have been at, in a pub at night. hmm
More of a head wetting I'd say.
And yes, she is very unreasonable to her 18 month old out to a pub at night.
But if it was a traditional baby shower, (usually held in the daytime), it would be totally normal to bring small children and babies along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now