to think pregnancy doesn't automatically make you fat?

(121 Posts)
CailinDana Thu 31-Jan-13 20:36:04

It doesn't make me fat. The baby comes out and I'm the same as I ever was, except with more stretch marks and looser tummy muscles.

I can't be the only one, yet it seems to be an accepted thing that you're going to have "baby weight" to lose after pregnancy.

AIBU to think that plenty of women just eat a normal amount while pregnant and don't have any weight to lose once the baby is born?

Shellywelly1973 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:44:37

Im expecting dc 6. I'm a size 8. I've had babies in my teens, twenties,thirties!

I've always returned to my normal size&weight within a couple of weeks of giving birth. With dc2 put on nearly 3 stone!

I've got tons of stretch marks but no one apart from dp sees them so i don't worry about them!

I always secretly worry i won't go back to my normal size but so far so good...mind you, Im so hungry with this pregnancy, i might take a few extra weeks before i get back to my normal size.

Lueji Thu 31-Jan-13 22:47:34

Yanbu. smile

I am very slim and hardly gained weight. It all went to boobs, I think, and a bit on the stomach (never been the same).

I put on very little weight when pregnant. I was a little overweight but not enough for anybody to mention or tell me to watch my weight or anything so I don't think that was an issue.

Despite eating normally and not cutting back, I only put on 16lbs and 18lbs during my 2 pregnancies (I was 34 and 37 and not a spring chicken). Back to pre-pregnancy weight 2 weeks after giving birth with DS1 and then 5 days with DS2. Sadly it was the giving up BF that made me pile on the weight or maybe it was lack of sleep and the havoc that causes to your hormones. Certainly for me pregnancy had no effect at all so I agree with the OP - baby weight isn't a foregone conclusion although I understand why some people end up putting on weight. I think to an extent I am lucky.

That said, I couldn't wear normal clothes when I got back to pre-pregnancy weights - my shape took longer to go back to normal. It took about a month although with no effort from me!

MerryCouthyMows Thu 31-Jan-13 22:54:09

Pregnancy doesn't make me fat, it's bf that does. I weighed less at 9 months pg with all my DC's than I did after 6 months of bf!

I didn't eat much more than an extra slice or two of toast a day, and yet I was still a stone heavier each time when I had been bf a while than I was at full term.

Locketjuice Fri 01-Feb-13 08:40:48

5 days after having ds1 the midwife came in to poke my belly.. Literally. she said the main benefit she has realised over the years with having a baby young is your body copes alot better after and on a general springs back alot quicker/easier so maybe its to do with that I thought I was going to be a beached whale after but went back to an 6/8 and my belly went down as I was popping him out! But I did get stretch marks over my hips/bum so not all so lovely hmm

Locketjuice Fri 01-Feb-13 08:45:28

And for the people saying they haven't known anyone getting way bigger during /after pregnancy
A friend was a 8/10 got pregnant by 20 weeks she looked ready to explode went full term so can imagine the bump
Babies 7 months now and she is a size 18/20 and says she can't shift it at all, but then I do see on her Facebook pictures of chocolate bars and milkshakes with oooops underneath so maybe that's why!

Tailtwister Fri 01-Feb-13 08:53:12

It's a combination of your natural body shape/metabolism, how careful you are during pregnancy (food wise) and how your body responds to bf. I didn't put on much during pregnancy but as soon as I started bf I was starving. I also wasn't one of the lucky ones who found bf made the weight fall off and haven't stopped bf since having DS1 (5 years ago). DS2 is 3 in June and I'm looking forward to stopping sometime around then and hoping it's easier to lose some more weight then.

I agree, I don't think it's necessarily a given that everyone will have loads of weight to lose post-birth. Lots do though for various reasons, so I would be pleased you're one of the lucky ones!

FlorriesDragons Fri 01-Feb-13 09:02:27

I keep an extra half stone or so on while breastfeeding that I have lost afterwards both times. Breastfeeding does not make you lose weight, possibly unless you are overweight to start with, it's all lies. grin

SeeYouSoon Fri 01-Feb-13 09:27:41

I didn't put on extra weight during pregnancy, I put it on after becasue I didn't do as much excercise as I did before pregnancy, or even during it! Also I definitely changed shape, my waist was about the same size as before, but my hips and boobs are bigger now.

Yfronts Fri 01-Feb-13 09:29:11

I was like that with my first but my with last baby it was totally different. Took a year to get rid of the weight slowly.

cory Fri 01-Feb-13 09:30:32

I ate normally, but had to have bedrest in both pregnancies and was quite immobilised after dd's birth with bad tearing and a failing to thrive baby- spent all my time breastfeeding but got very little into dd.

Yfronts Fri 01-Feb-13 09:31:38

Yes I put on a bit of weight (22lbs) because I wasn't as active. Normally I would have been running/gyming but I couldn't sadly.

DeWe Fri 01-Feb-13 09:33:45

Doesn't make me fat either.

But that's because my first sign of pg is lo lose my appetite, second sign is I start being sick. Third sign is I get a blue line...

So I've come out of the hospital after labour lighter than before pg every time.

Darksideofthe80s Fri 01-Feb-13 09:38:04

I am one of those weird people who loose weight during pregnancy, never sick, just randomly loose weight, cue lots of growth scans etc because bump never measures anywhere near how many weeks I am.
A couple of hours after giving birth to DD2, I faced stiff interrogation by one of the midwives as to what I was doing on the early release ward, I was fully dressed, boots on etc and she didn't believe I had just given birth. confused

TheProvincialLady Fri 01-Feb-13 09:40:22

Pregnancy makes me ravenously hungry and if I don't eat eat eat I feel orrendously sick all the time. With DS2 I also had SPD and back problems. I put on a lot of weight both times but lost it all quickly afterwards and went back to my normal weight, which is borderline underweight. So what's the problem? I think my body really needed the extra fat to carry my babies healthily and prepare for breast feeding. I don't see that as something to be ashamed of.

For me it wasn't so much the actual pregnancy, more the first few months of having a baby and not having time to eat properly so grabbing convenience food, spending more time awake and feeling exhausted so having sugary snacks to keep going, comfort eating when suffering PND, that sort of thing.

WorraLiberty Fri 01-Feb-13 09:44:19

YANBU OP, I think some people see it as a given that they'll have baby weight to lose when it's not always the case at all.

I didn't gain any extra weight during my 3 pregnancies, just a bit of a baggy belly for a few weeks after. It was probably the only time I made a conscious effort to eat very healthily though.

feelingdizzy Fri 01-Feb-13 09:53:00

It did make me fat ,and I stayed fat for a long time afterwards,am still fatter than I was.Had my kids in my twenties so wasn't my age.I
mostly because I ate too much,then got pregnant again quickly,got divorced comfort ate.
Lost 3 stone could do with losing another 2 but don't really care,it all works.I really dont mind about my weight,I lost the weight because it was un-healthy.I don't give it much thought to be honest.

LeBFG Fri 01-Feb-13 10:16:35

I'm a bit torn between the two extremes. I've seen women in my family put on loads of weight during pregnancy (there are weight issues in my family!) with my mum filling everyone with extra trifle for the baby. Then yo-yo dieting etc after (but only one sister bf). THey would say it was inevitable to put on weight and I heartily disgree.

On the other hand, I'm sick of hearing about competitive weight loss stories on the pregnancy board, along the lines of, it's perfectly OK to not put on weight during pg, I did and DD weighed a healthy 5lb2 (!). Plus the media frenzy about losing weight the moment you drop your sprog (and don't get me started on jogging when pg). It's so depressing to read about frankly and I do not think this is a healthy attitude to pregnancy. Surely baby's health is of paramount importance?

Sometimes, we have to accept our bodies do strange things our intellect diagrees with. Just saying we only need 500 extra calories a day etc doesn't help - are babies need calories on days they need them - I find there are days I really need a couple of proper meals and on others I'm OK with light lunches and suppers. I'm in France too where they weigh you every month (a real bummer) and hand out diet plans to all pg women (salad + one bread roll for lunch, 1 yoghurt for a snack, steamed fish and rice for supper, shit like that i.e. less calories than I would eat non-pg, and I'm small).

All I would ever say is eat to your appetite. If you are hungry eat. Try not to substitute chocolate for real food. If you're not hungry, don't stuff in the extra potato you don't need. Simples.

DrMcDreamysWife Fri 01-Feb-13 10:21:35

I was actually thinner post birth than before pregnant. But that's because I was so sick and lost 2 stone in the first 4 months. My dh jokes its the best diet ever especially as my boobs are twice the size and my bum is teeny! My antenatal class is very jealous but to be honest the 4 months spent on my bathroom floor and the following five with heartburn after every meal wasn't fun!

GreyGardens Fri 01-Feb-13 10:29:28

It made me fat because I ate like a bastard. grin It's true it doesn't have to make you fat, but it's perfectly easy to get there!
I put on about 3 stone, less than 7lb of which was baby!
Breastfeeding also kept me plump, it was only when I stopped doing that that I shed the pounds.

Dryjuice25 Fri 01-Feb-13 10:44:36

I lose weight during pg due to extreme morning sickness where I even have to be hospitalised. This happens throughout the pg and I lose so much weight. After birth I usually about just a few pounds heavier(with third)
and went back to my pre pg weight with 1st and 2nd. But I wouldn't wish the sickness on my worst enermy!

TwoCatsAndABabyBump Fri 01-Feb-13 10:45:14

I lost a stone in the first 3 months. Am now nearing the end and have only gained approx 2.5 pounds. My baby weighs at least 5.5lbs now so I have continued to loose weight during pregnancy it seems without even trying to.

I was still am a tubbington but I'm hoping that when I give birth I will still weigh at least a stone lighter than before I got pregnant, and that will be the lightest I will have been for years. I am also keeping my fingers crossed for breast feeding to shift a pound or two after as well. grin.

For me at the beginning I felt constantly sick. Never was sick but couldn't face the thought of eating. Now I can't finish a normal plateful of tea but I'm ravenous half an hour later which has led to some not so healthy choices.

I'm happy though, I know my babies happy and I find it quite amusing that I'm a stone lighter than i was but can't fit in my pre pregnancy jeans to save my life!

willyoulistentome Fri 01-Feb-13 10:50:55

I did out on a fair amount of weight - especially the second time. As someone further up said, if I didn;t keep eating, I was being sick..

However the main thing was the change in lifestyle. Before being PG I was very active with riding and looking after my horse. Rode every day, mucked out, lugged haynets, bales of shavings, feed sacks etc. Walking to and from field.

After wards, I just sat on my bum bf for weeks. Sure I put on a hell of a lot of weight!!

naughtycloud1 Fri 01-Feb-13 10:54:36

i only put a stone on in baby weight weight was 11stone put by the end was 12stone which was pretty good. wish id have stoped picking after not a size 14 any moresad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now