to think pregnancy doesn't automatically make you fat?

(121 Posts)
CailinDana Thu 31-Jan-13 20:36:04

It doesn't make me fat. The baby comes out and I'm the same as I ever was, except with more stretch marks and looser tummy muscles.

I can't be the only one, yet it seems to be an accepted thing that you're going to have "baby weight" to lose after pregnancy.

AIBU to think that plenty of women just eat a normal amount while pregnant and don't have any weight to lose once the baby is born?

ENormaSnob Thu 31-Jan-13 20:51:38

No stretch marks here either and am 31weeks with dc4.

Likely to be an above 9lb baby too.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 31-Jan-13 20:51:48

I think it would be nicer if there was less emphasis on getting back to normal actually and a bit of fat was more acceptable. I see it from the opposite perspective to you I suppose, as I get fat and you don't.

Wanting to eat more is def a pg thing for me. It is a marked difference to my normal life and an uncontrollable urge. Imagine how you feel when you are really really hungry, say you have not eaten all day - that is what I feel like a lot of the time when pregnant. Factor in the being sick if your stomach doesn't get filled up quickly and you have a pregnancy like mine

<sigh>

Mydelilah Thu 31-Jan-13 20:53:02

I think everyone is different. I had 2 pregnancies and put on 27 kilos each time (huge weight gain!) first pg I ate everything (especially Krispy Kreme donuts) second pg I was super careful and healthy, and went a bit hungry a few times when I knew I'd had enough calories. Different eating habits/volumes but same weight gain - it was really annoying! I did find it much easier/quicker to lose weight second time though

sheeplikessleep Thu 31-Jan-13 20:53:25

I'm 9 weeks at the moment.
If I don't eat every hour or two, I feel so nauseous. Morning through to night.
TBH, I could balloon to the size of a house at the moment, if it stopped me feeling like this, I do not care.
I know I'll lose it within a year or so after having this baby.
Unfortunately, I'll also lose my glorious boobs that I am currently sporting wink and my body will be more saggy and I'll probably struggle to lose the tummy fat, like I did after the last two pregnancies.
However, at the moment, my priority is on stopping myself wretching.
I dread to think how many calories I am eating each day.

sheeplikessleep Thu 31-Jan-13 20:54:33

Sorry - bit of a self indulgent rant!

I didn't gain any weight, still a skinnymin. Just got a little wobbly tummy. People can't believe I've just had a baby, but I didn't eat any more than usual when pregnant, in fact I probably ate less due to sickness, lack of space in stomach

TheSecondComing Thu 31-Jan-13 20:56:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 31-Jan-13 20:58:08

I agree its the speed that is the thing, if you do have a bit extra it will come off naturally after a few months but I suppose the celebrity culture now is to see them very thin after only a few weeks.

If there is ever a time to cut yourself a bit of slack its having a newborn, which can be trying enough without anyone feeling rubbish or like they should have lost weight by now.

wanderingcloud Thu 31-Jan-13 20:58:15

I was 3kg lighter after birth than I was at the start of my pregnancy. Then dropped even more when bfing. I think it was a combination of feeling sick throughout pregnancy and not drinking alcohol.

Put it all bar 1kg back on though when I stopped bfing and could drink wine again!

I'm hoping when the next one arrives I'll get off and keep it off.

I accept I'm in a minority though, most of my friends put on weight and had to work hard to lose it.

themagus Thu 31-Jan-13 20:58:17

I've never heard of such an accepted idea that it is ok to be fat in pregnancy. I have always exclusively bfed until weaning and found my body clung on to the extra 10lb or so I have while I was feeding. I feel fat but only compared to what I usually am. it gets harder to lose with subsequent pregnancies I would say. my baby is 3 months and I still have the extra weight.

BF uses a lot of energy, so it's just normal that your body will stock some fat to be burnt feeding the baby.

If the mum ends up not BF then she may probably keep the baby weight. Since the UK had at least a whole generation who did not BF, there's your answer.

Humphrey, I agree v strongly with you.
This 'going back to normal' lark is all a bit celebrity driven; size 2 women who have access to personal trainers, nutritionists, even plastic surgery, who go on daft extreme diets withing weeks of having delivered and are then put on some front page - makes me really cross!

I never had any MS, just developed an aversion to pork hmm, and would not have said that I had particularly more of an appetite, but was quite please to have an excuse to not restrain myself too much grin.

The 'Eating for two' nonsense is just that - nonsense! I am glad that is not really spouted anymore other than in jest IME.

Wrt to BFing: I lost weight easily and without really trying only after I stopped BFing with all 4 of mine. I've heard other women saying that as well. I am not sure how that works, but there you go...

AdoraBell Thu 31-Jan-13 21:01:57

It didn't make me fat, despite the IL's efforts to make me eat for 3. In fact my twins decided to starve me for 4 months and so I weighed less at my 6 week post natal check than before I became pregnant.

Everyone's different though.

I pre-pregnancy weight within a week of giving birth (healthy weight beforehand). But I had awful morning sickness to week 18 and gestational diabetes from week 27 onwards which I controlled with a very strict diet. I did eat tons more but I exercised up to 2 days before induction and cut out all refined sugar/ high glycemic foods. Can't stop eating chocolate now though and am afraid to weigh myself 6 weeks later!

RugBugs Thu 31-Jan-13 21:04:11

I lost a fair bit of weight whilst pregnant with DD, didn't buy a single piece of maternity wear just wore my larger sized clothes.
I did put most of it back on in the six months after delivering though (not in the same places though).

Pg again and I think I've realised how I lost weight. I have zero appetite and have to force myself to eat.

MoodyDidIt Thu 31-Jan-13 21:04:46

yanbu

if you take pregnancy as a licence to eat whatever the fook you want like i did with dc1 then you WILL put on shitloads. i put on 3 stone, which really was not good as i am 5 foot 2 blush

with dc2 i was a lot more careful with food and put on 17 lbs smile it was hard but worth it when dd was born and within days i was back to my initial weight. don't hate me though as still got stretchmarks and jelly belly!

BridgetBidet Thu 31-Jan-13 21:05:37

Hmmm, the subtext to the OP seems to be 'I don't get fat when pregnant and I eat normally therefore pregnant women who get fat must be being greedy'.

Which is not the case at all, I ate normally but put on 2 stone. My physical activity was enormously decreased because I had SPD and was huge, I could bearly walk let alone exercise.

lyrasdaemo Thu 31-Jan-13 21:07:32

I got a tiny bit of weird fat on my shoulders and knees of all places!
:-o
hoping it will go when I get back into my physical work...
Had only DD at 38 and could still climb over our field gates at 39 weeks

I'm not fat but my stomach has never recovered. Wobbly. I did have twins (3 dc in total) so I blame them. No stretch marks though.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 31-Jan-13 21:11:26

willyou

I was exactly the same - really sick and then, just as that was improving diagnosed with gd. I really struggled to keep my sugars under control even with metformin and couldn't eat even supposedly healthy things like natural yogurt. Next time I'll ask for insulin rather than struggle on the last few weeks.

I also lost weight breastfeeding, but only when bfing exclusively. I ate so much cake and didn't gain a pound - unfortunately I continued this once dd was on solids and am now the heaviest I have ever been. Need to start exercising as, although still "healthy" bmi because I am tall, the heavier I am the higher my type 2 risk and I am genetically predisposed.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 31-Jan-13 21:11:34

I think maybe the OP didn't mean to be so punitive BridgetBidet but I agree, it is making me feel a bit judged.

Like women who didn't get morning sickness and therefore assume that everyone else is just being a moaner or making it up.

CailinDana Thu 31-Jan-13 21:12:32

Bridget I don't mean that at all. Obviously if you have mobility issues (as I said earlier) or the need to eat due to sickness you're going to put on weight, that's just physiology. What I mean is that there seems to be an accepted idea of "baby weight" which is inevitable regardless of how your pregnancy is and that it's not always the case for all women.

I've always been between 8.5 and 9st but with both my pregnancies I put on 1.5 -2 st. It wasn't because I over ate, it was probably that I wasn't as active as I normally am.

The last 0.5 st was a bugger to shift, but I never had any stretch marks and don't have a wobbly tum smile

Zara1984 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:16:42

Sigh, OP. Is it not beyond the wit of man (or woman) to understand that everyone's body handles pregnancy differently.

I ate very healthily, but quite a lot during pregnancy. If I didn't, I got awful nausea and bone-crushing exhaustion from 6 weeks all the way through to delivery. I certainly tried to limit what I ate but I also had to manage best I can so I could, you know, go to work and function like a human being. My appetite simply disappeared when DS was born. DS is 14 weeks old and I am halfway back to my pre -pregnancy weight. So I'm eating less (I'm not bf) and doing a good amount of exercise each day. I am on track to be back to my pre-preg weight by 6 months, but I have more I'd like to lose so I've got Christmas as my weightloss target.

Don't be so judgemental, just be grateful you did not put on a lot of weight during pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now