To think it's not 'travelling' or 'finding yourself' if you're spending your days having cocktails in 5* hotels?,

(54 Posts)
Umlauf Wed 30-Jan-13 11:00:50

Best friend (very privileged girl but rather naive) got fed up of her well paid but dull job and decided to jack it in and go travelling for 6 months to find herself and learn about the wider world. I encouraged her because i think it's a fantastic thing to do, especially as she is very naive about society and money in general, and doesn't understand why everyone's parents can't just buy them a house/Bugatti/horse/spa membership.

Now she is on Facebook daily checking in at luxury hotels in Asia, describing the beautiful long days relaxing by the pool with all-inclusive cocktails! Just had a long phone call where she has told me she really understands the Thai culture now... She has been in Bangkok 3 days and not left the hotel because it's just too comfortable! Sounds incredible but... AIBU to get a bit annoyed with how she keeps referring to it 'going travelling to find herself?!'

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 30-Jan-13 14:53:53

I always find it a bit weird when people think that you have to go and live in a shithole somewhere to get any benefit out of going to a different place.

Sounds like she is having a fab time.

If she is so grateful, why don't you suggest that as a thank-you she could pay for you to join her for a week at the end of her trip? grin

KellyElly Wed 30-Jan-13 15:44:21

That is how I would like to 'find myself' grin

Pagwatch Wed 30-Jan-13 16:01:05

I want to travel in luxury.
If 'real' travelling involves shitting in a bucket I am happy to call it something else. I shall say I am occupying a posh foreign room in future.

Pigsmummy Thu 31-Jan-13 12:37:37

To be fair if she is naive and loaded she is best placed to stay in the hotel before she becomes a victim of every scam going! Leave her in peace and next time she calls swerve the call if it annoys you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now