To report someone selling illegal fags?

(200 Posts)
callmeovercautious Tue 29-Jan-13 20:37:30

Where children could buy them?

drownangels Fri 01-Feb-13 14:02:32

I remember the 10p fags from my school days!!

AlienReflux Fri 01-Feb-13 12:42:17

I remember an old bloke in a newsagents used to sell us single fags!! 10p each, we were about 12! Nice smile

I know there's a stall in the market that still sell 10 mayfair for £3.15/£3.20

When ever I go to town I buy a few packs

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 31-Jan-13 00:12:27

I honestly don't mind paying tax on tobacco, but £7.50 for a packet of fags, I mean come on.
Smokers are propping up the NHS, and if the government cared about it as a health issue, they'd ban them. Instead they are making a fortune out of our addiction.
I live in the middle of nowhere, I smoke rollies and I've no clue of any gangsters that will sell me them cheap.

thecook Wed 30-Jan-13 23:29:35

Bobby excellent

Waves to D0ing

I haven't bought legal fags in years. I live in London and three shops within a minutes walk sell them for £4.50. I want to know where that poster who gets them for £3.90 lives.

I have just found another place near work. I chose a likely looking newsagents, strolled in and said'Got any duty free cigs mate?' Out they came from under the counter.

OP you need to get out more love.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 30-Jan-13 23:17:01

Another great contribution from Bobby.

Bobbybird40 Wed 30-Jan-13 22:26:46

Please pudding there was some fairly major recent research in holland which shows that over the course of a life time smokers cost less healthcare wise - as they die earlier and don't have the huge end of life costs that old duffers who are constantly at the docs do.

PleasePudding Wed 30-Jan-13 22:08:04

If you are going to need help when smoking catches up with you (and it will if you live long enough - I say this not scare-mongeringly but factually and as someone who loves smoking) then you should contribute towards the cost.

Democracy is not questioning and breaking the laws, it's using democratic processes to change things you dont like if other people agree with you.

Some people selling fags are probably not terrorists or gangsters but that doesn't mean that terrorists and gangsters don't do it and it doesn't change the fact that you are ripping every else off by not paying the sodding tax.

And as for the argument that rich people don't pay taxes that is bollocks - the top 10% earners pay 25% of tax earned in this country and, if relying on private healthcare and education probably take out less but regardless of what the rich do you shouldn't buy cigarettes without paying tax anymore than you should cheat on benefits, commit insurance fraud or any other apparently 'victimless' crime. And finally if it is organised crime involvement then there are victims of the bargain fag.

Sorry I know that sounds ranting and preaching

flaggybannel Wed 30-Jan-13 20:39:49

ah, of course. Silly me. Mystery of the sherry solved!

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 20:37:49

That's ok smile. I'd like to think I wouldn't buy a sneaky cheap bottle of tax-free wine if my neighbour came back from France with a bootful, but I expect my standards might slip a bit if the price was right.

I can be snooty about cigs, though, because of the IRA connection and because I don't smoke [snurk]

Sherry was for medicinal purposes for the mothers, of course flaggy. The ones who pretended they didn't drink. The drinking ones went straight for the vodka.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 30-Jan-13 20:33:00

Sorry Maryz, I know your issues with your ds.sad
I've no idea what to say.

flaggybannel Wed 30-Jan-13 20:28:15

£4.50? nah, i get mine for £3.90. for twenty.
Nope, i wont say where from.
I also remember the ice cream van outside school selling fags, weed, vodka and sherry . Sherry? Strange but true.

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 20:26:12

Getting a mate to bring you back a few is very different from the organised smuggling and selling, but only from a volume point of view.

It is still tax avoidance, though.

I do agree that it's a real piss-take that the huge tax avoiders (big businesses and the fuckers who run them) seem to get less of a punishment. It seems the more you can "steal", the lower the punishment hmm

But here, buying smuggled cigarettes on the street is giving money to the IRA gangsters, which is never ok in my book. And for me with ds it is black and white - he was justifying the killing of the garda yesterday by saying that most gardaí are crooked, just another step on his anti-establishment views that I vehemently disagree with.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 30-Jan-13 20:14:33

I don't agree Maryz, children, adults, teenagers, there is no black and white.
IME grey is the way to go, you have to judge each situation by it's merits.
I'm a smoker, if I can get them cheap then result, but it's usually from a mate that comes back from Spain. I have no clue about criminal gangs.
And I've got a teenager too who I hope will question the 'rules' and the 'laws' that he considers unjust.
That is surely how democracy works?

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 19:55:08

Well, then, there's your answer.

Become an upstanding honest citizen, stop avoiding tax and it will give you the impetus to give up a disgusting habit that is killing you.

Win-win, don't you think wink

I conform because I have seen the results of a whole underclass (firstly my brother and his mates, and now my son and his mates) not conforming. Society needs people to conform in order to retain any semblance of civilisation.

I wouldn't like to live in a country ruled by the type of people who think it's ok to break the laws they don't agree with. Smuggling is only the tip of the iceberg. And when dealing with teenagers, you can only have black and white. You have to lead by example - you can't ignore the rules you don't like, and not expect them to do the same. I hate the justification some people use for the behaviours they think are ok hmm.

Same applies to wider society. Which is of course why crooked politicians and police deserve harsher punishment than Joe Citizen, but that's a whole other thread too.

Bobbybird40 Wed 30-Jan-13 19:50:42

Probably around 9 packs of 20 Mary. So that's...probably over 1k a year. Thing is, I would stop smoking rather than pay the ridiculous tax we pay on fags over here. So the government actually loses nothing as it was never going to gain anything IYKWIM.
I'm frankly staggered by your level of ... conformity.

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 19:19:09

How many do you smoke a week Bobby?

Just wondering how much you defraud the government of each week? Multiply that by 52, then multiply by an indeterminate number of entitled fuckwits people who think they are above the law, and I bet you get quite a high figure.

ds1 knows someone who will sell him a sawn-off shotgun for €100. Funnily enough, it's the same person ds buys his knock-off cigarettes and his weed from hmm. Apparently he doesn't sell ammo though (because selling a gun with ammo is, apparently, a bad thing to do); another lovely friend sells that.

Cant believe someone would actually go out of their way to report someone for selling some cheap fag. Do you not have anything better to do ?

Bobbybird40 Wed 30-Jan-13 18:59:39

Ewhat because I go for the odd pint in my local? Jeeez

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 30-Jan-13 18:58:14

Yes Joan you are being silly. Silly for asking that question. Everyone knows you can get hold of guns and knives if you know the right people. Lucky that we know Bobby isn't it. Bobby seems to have all the right connections. hmm

Bobbybird40 Wed 30-Jan-13 18:54:30

You're being silly now Joan.

JoanByers Wed 30-Jan-13 18:53:30

Do they have any handguns too? Perhaps you could put the word out for those as well?

AmberLeaf Wed 30-Jan-13 18:52:51

Im not a smoker BTW.

I have a working men's behind me! Might have to nip in and get some. Co-op charge way too much and that's closest shop too me

Bobbybird40 Wed 30-Jan-13 18:49:24

Somebody will know. Working men's clubs are the best - they sell em behind the bar in the two local to me, fiver a pop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now