callmeovercautious Tue 29-Jan-13 20:37:30

Where children could buy them?

JoanByers Tue 29-Jan-13 21:53:57

is it the ice cream van?

ours sells fags and weed.

sukysue Tue 29-Jan-13 21:55:43

report them rotten tax dodgers.

Maryz Tue 29-Jan-13 21:57:51

I find it extraordinary that someone is called a cunt (and other names) for suggesting reporting someone who is doing something that is illegal both from the point of view of child safety and also tax avoidance.

Not to mention that (here anyway) the illegal fags are smuggled and sold by the same gangs as smuggle and sell cannabis and hard drugs, often also to kids hmm

Wallison, in general cigarettes from Eastern Europe for example tend to have poorer filters and they also tend to be stronger - not all, but many. And obviously if they are being sold illegally they aren't subject to the same "health and safety" regulations (however they apply those to any sort of cigarette I fail to understand hmm).

This thread is pretty shocking and very unpleasant.

JoanByers Tue 29-Jan-13 21:59:39

yep, no different from drug dealers selling weed to little kids I'm afraid.

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 22:00:08

Mmmm, lovely strong fags ...

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 22:00:43

Yes, because all drug dealers sell weed to little kids. Can hardly move for them at the school gates sometimes.

GrowSomeCress Tue 29-Jan-13 22:03:04

Yeah, report them.

I don't see why you're getting so many YABUs. Who gives a shit whether it's your business or not?! If I walked past a person bleeding to death that would also be none of my business, but I'd intervene anyway.

usualsuspect Tue 29-Jan-13 22:03:24

<goes for a fag>

JoanByers Tue 29-Jan-13 22:03:38

I don't think they care who they sell weed/fags to.

was never any problem getting either when I was at school anyway.

Lilithmoon Tue 29-Jan-13 22:04:14

What Maryz said (much better than I would have).

GrowSomeCress Tue 29-Jan-13 22:04:50

I also agree with Maryz

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 22:05:34

<ahem>

usualsuspect Tue 29-Jan-13 22:07:13

Nasty cough you have there Rebecca, is it all the fag smoke in here?

CheCazzo Tue 29-Jan-13 22:07:51

<<<<sniggers>>>> @ usual grin

GrowSomeCress Tue 29-Jan-13 22:08:21

aside from the whole selling to children and the tax evasion (which mn bleats about when it comes to businesses) things like this make money for organised crime and that brings with it things like violence, murder and sex trafficking

but of course you should report because it would make you a snitch hmm

OP it is absolutely fine to report it, please don't let people on this thread put you off

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 22:09:16

Must be all of those dangerous forrin cigs she's puffing away on.

I, on the other hand, only smoke Safety Fags.

NumericalMum Tue 29-Jan-13 22:11:59

Ok so just to clarify - rich people, Starbucks, Amazon etc all horrible tax dodging evil people... selling illegally imported fags that haven't been subject to tax and import duty is fine.

I do think MN is a parallel universe sometimes.

Bobbybird40 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:14:35

GSC you are being a drama queen banging on about sex trafficking etc, this is probably just some bloke whose brought a few boxes over from Eastern Europe and is flogging em down his local. Big deal. OP it's obviously your call but if you do snitch you'll probably be looking over your shoulder for weeks afterwards.

WorraLiberty Tue 29-Jan-13 22:14:42

How on God's earth was CheCazzo's comment racist in any way shape or form OP? confused

If anyone's comment could be taken that way, it was your reply to her!

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 22:16:22

I think the point about murder is pretty much bang on though. I could kill for a fag right now, for eg.

JoanByers Tue 29-Jan-13 22:19:39

a few boxes?

Each pack of fags is about £6 in tax, so one carton of fags is equivalent to a week's JSA.

If you don't want to pay the going rate for fags, then don't smoke.

GrowSomeCress Tue 29-Jan-13 22:19:59

Bobbybird are you kidding me? the triad made millions from doing this kind of thing in scotland

tell people being murdered and trafficked that i am being a drama queen for thinking that supporting the activities causing them harm are wrong

GrowSomeCress Tue 29-Jan-13 22:20:43

but of course if it helps people get fags a bit cheaper then it's all okay clearly

LouMae Tue 29-Jan-13 22:21:28

As thegovt keeps pushing up the price, and people have less money, the black market will just grow and grow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now