To report someone selling illegal fags?

(200 Posts)
callmeovercautious Tue 29-Jan-13 20:37:30

Where children could buy them?

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 29-Jan-13 21:00:49

Black market economy always increases when people are unable to find legit work.

I think it would be cuntish to report tbh.

PleasePudding Tue 29-Jan-13 21:03:14

YANBU- report - I love and miss smoking but you have to pay the tax to cover the costs. If you don't want to then don't smoke.

No one really likes organised gangsters/smugglers either (personally I'd prefer a snitch)

ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Jan-13 21:04:34

sorry but smile at "they could be dangerous" - what?? They might kill you?? Better stick to the supermarket ones then.....

(if they are "fake" fags they taste like shite and people won't buy them regularly)

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Tue 29-Jan-13 21:09:22

I think it is cunt'ish to support an illigal activity that funds organised crime.

But I can see some posters think being a snitch is worse confused

The illegal cigerette trade is massive, it is not the same as someone selling a few bottle of home brew.

We are not talking about a nieghbour flogging off a couple of extra fag packets that he bought back from Tenerife. We are talking about a multimillion pound illegal activity that is carried out to generate funds for mafia type organisations.

SirBoobAlot Tue 29-Jan-13 21:09:28

On the fence with this. Yes it is illegal, but in the grand scheme of things, fags will kill you anywhere you buy them from.

Maryz Tue 29-Jan-13 21:11:01

Would you report if it was your children buying the cigarettes?

If you would, it is a bit two-faced to not report just because the children buying and smoking them are someone else's children, don't you think?

It's illegal. Unemployment and the state of the economy isn't an excuse for breaking the law. If it was, we would live in anarchy hmm

callmeovercautious Tue 29-Jan-13 21:12:02

OK - more thoughts than I expected! Firstly I am a smoker (always giving up but never manage!).

Secondly the person in question appears to be "White Britsh" in ethnic origin - Thanks CheCazzo for your lovely and racist comment hmm "They'll be Polish or from some other Eastern Bloc country. Nothing wrong with them. And kids, if so inclined, will always get hold of fags whether old snitchy pants goes reporting or not!" Yes you are right Kids will get fags if so inclined - because scumbags like this sell them to them!

Finally I am REALLY suprised by how many people have called me a C**T! MN really has changed!

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 29-Jan-13 21:14:11

Yes, think of the children.

Are kids buying these illegal smokes?

MousyMouse Tue 29-Jan-13 21:15:10

the cigs are maybe from eastern europe. that's how I read it.
doesn't make it less illegal and disgusting...

InNeedOfBrandy Tue 29-Jan-13 21:15:37

Why do you care OP? Its fags not crack mind your own business.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Tue 29-Jan-13 21:22:51

She cares because it's large scale illegal tax evasion - or do we not care about that any more?

Given how keen MN normally is to dob in people who are claiming benefits and doing cash in hand work, I'm rather surprised by the mood on this thread.

PoppadomPreach Tue 29-Jan-13 21:24:12

Apparently £1bn tax is lost through illegal fags.

The illicit fags are also considerably more dangerous than "regulated" fags (anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded - these are not nice guys just being kind to you by selling you cut price fags to make your day a little better)

So there's a double whammy hit on the NHS.

If others are happy with that then fine, but personally I would "snitch".

IAmLouisWalsh Tue 29-Jan-13 21:25:47

Report it.

We regularly report the local 'fag houses' when the kids grass them up. Usually when they have been refused credit grin

CheCazzo Tue 29-Jan-13 21:26:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 21:28:22

^ They can be dangerous

As opposed to the safe legal ones? confused

JoanByers Tue 29-Jan-13 21:30:12

what a lot of scumbag tax cheats in this thread.

PoppadomPreach Tue 29-Jan-13 21:32:04

Wallison - "considerably more dangerous". Read carefully, that does not mean the legit ones are safe FFS.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 29-Jan-13 21:34:50

YANBU and here is a neat summary why

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 29-Jan-13 21:35:13

Arf@Joan.grin

Bazinga12 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:39:07

Yanbu. It's illegal and it's tax evasion. Everyone's very keen to jump on benefit cheats, not sure why this would be considered any different.

Some very nasty posts here.

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Tue 29-Jan-13 21:41:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

zukiecat Tue 29-Jan-13 21:42:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffacloud Tue 29-Jan-13 21:50:40

While I don't agree with some of the comments directed at the OP I had to comment on CheCazzo's amazing zinger!
Highlight of my evening so far! <sad>

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 21:52:01

I was quoting from further up the thread, PoppadumPreach.

But how are they 'considerably more dangerous' anyway? I've read the rather hysterical link provided and it says nothing about increased dangers on there. They're just fags but from different countries, aren't they?

Wallison Tue 29-Jan-13 21:52:31

zukiecat, you should send that comment into Viz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now