to think that "love" is just as bad as "hun"?

(88 Posts)

I see posters on here calling each other love all the time now and I really cant stand it.

Why? Surely its just as bad as hun?

OrangeLily

Having an opinion does not make me a grump. You can have your grip back smile

beautyfades Wed 30-Jan-13 20:26:52

Can assure you bunnylove i am NOT a low person! Though i am from the north and use the word "love" how rude of you to make a statement like that!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE...

noddyholder Wed 30-Jan-13 17:20:15

My friends and I sometimes use it and some of us also use darling which has been trashed on here too. I think things like this only sound 'wrong' if you don't use them in your circle of friends and anything you do use sounds normal

OrangeLily Wed 30-Jan-13 17:17:11

Neither are bad! It's people being nice. Get a grip and stop being a grump!

Well then I'm awful, low life, common... what ever because I just love and use them all;
Hun
Chick
Chicken pie
Love
Luv
Babe
Baby
Baby cakes
Bring them on, it saves trying to remember everyone's names. I am rubbish at that!

evertonmint Wed 30-Jan-13 17:01:04

A love lover here smile I'm from the north, live down south and miss hearing it in common usage.

I like that it is gender neutral - it is used by anyone to anyone. I like that it is has a long history.

I think some people are confusing love (just lovely) and luv (used patronisingly by builders etc.)

Hun is awful and just makes me think of Attila rather than something sweet that I have on toast.

Nancy66 Wed 30-Jan-13 16:59:52

'love' is nice...it's old-fashioned and cosy and nice.

'hun' is horrible and modern and meaningless.

I quite like 'hen' as well

usualsuspect Wed 30-Jan-13 16:58:12

'Alright meduck' is our favourite way of greeting someone.

Jinsei Wed 30-Jan-13 16:54:52

I'm just down the road from you usual, and I like it too. And it isn't only the younger generation either. smile

usualsuspect Wed 30-Jan-13 16:06:45

You get called 'meduck' all the time around these parts. I like it.

Mynewmoniker Wed 30-Jan-13 16:03:05

Oooooooo! and 'daaaaaaaaalin' gets my goat aswell angry

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 08:59:52

MY friend from yorkshire loves people and I think it is lovely I dont see her often but do like a love now and again from her

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 08:58:27

I sometimes lovey people am I not supposed too I never do it in a <head tilt> way it is just the way I type oh well never mind sorry if it annoys some people

Moistenedbint Wed 30-Jan-13 08:50:02

Can't abide "hen" ... Particularly when it's regurgitated by middle-class people trying to enhance their non-existent working-class street cred.

loofet Wed 30-Jan-13 08:15:27

I think 'love' can be quite cocky actually. I'm just thinking of someone going 'Alright love, calm down' in a cocky tone.

I hate all pet names personally and I am a Northerner where you're either a love or a mate, not really gender assigned either. They all get my goat.

So am I still allowed to say "sweetie" and "sweetheart" or will you all have me thrown off MN? grin

RafflesWay Wed 30-Jan-13 00:26:07

Cheers for that Lou but I never heard of any Southerners being "Offended" by
Such things in the 60's and 70's but then I think we had bigger things to worry about back then and people weren't so mean spirited. So glad I grew up in a more tolerant and considerate time.

LouMae Wed 30-Jan-13 00:04:50

I don't think it is generational raffles I think it's regional.

RafflesWay Tue 29-Jan-13 23:59:58

Gordon Bennet - some of you are SOOO easily offended. Love in Yorkshire is very warm as is Pet in Tyneside and then there is somewhere else where older folks use "Meduck" If anyone uses these to me I most definitely take it in the spirit it is meant. Patronising? Words fail me but perhaps it's another generational thing!

garageflower Tue 29-Jan-13 23:58:48

I don't really see the offence in any of these terms if they're said/meant in a nice or affectionate way. I say 'babe' and 'love' to my close mates and I'm not vulgar or patronising. I don't say 'hon' but that's because I just don't, not because I find it annoying. Isn't the meaning behind the word more important? I don't know anyone that uses those words to be patronising.

doublemuvver Tue 29-Jan-13 23:34:14

I love "love" being in Yorkshire and all. Part of its dialect history, high and low. Detest "hun" and cringe when someone refers to me as such. Colleagues know not to call me it!

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 29-Jan-13 22:46:10

Isn't it all about intent thought?

If someone is calling you sonething in an attempt to patronise it doesn't matter whether its hun or love, it's just them being a twat.

If its a genuine term of endearment I couldn't give two shiny shites if its pet, chuck, duck or lovely, it's just nice to be nice.

LouMae Tue 29-Jan-13 22:34:42

Doesn't offend me at all. Very commonplace in Lancashire, particularly from bus drivers! I think it's quite nice and shows the person is down to earth and not up their own arse.

ImperialBlether Tue 29-Jan-13 22:31:23

I had a twelve year old say, "Excuse me, love" the other day.

roastednut Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:29

What bamboostalks said. I really don't mind any of them. I can't really understand why people get irritated by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now