to think that "love" is just as bad as "hun"?

(88 Posts)

I see posters on here calling each other love all the time now and I really cant stand it.

Why? Surely its just as bad as hun?

I usually say dude....or man....but then I'm a lentil weaving hippy type who grew up being completely in love with Bill and Ted....what class does that make me?

LucyGoose Tue 29-Jan-13 20:49:26

Can we just agree that the absolute worst are: pet, petal and hinny!
Yes, my inlaws are from the NE.

What the heck is a hinny? It sounds like a small horse.

ugh.

EmpressMaud Tue 29-Jan-13 20:49:29

Yes, Bunny, do tell about the 'low people'. I too would love to know.

Jinsei Tue 29-Jan-13 20:51:04

I judge "hun" too. It's a bit different from the old dialect words, isn't it? I don't think hun is traditionally used anywhere in the uk, is it? It's a fairly recent import as far as I know, and I think that's why it doesn't ring true to me.

Foggles Tue 29-Jan-13 20:52:02

I am from the north and like love and pet

I hate hun. It doesn't sound genuine at all.

diaimchlo Tue 29-Jan-13 21:02:28

Being a Northerner born and bred and definitely not a 'low' person I use the term love all the time to people I interact with as a pleasant term not a put down and so does nearly everyone else I know here so Mrsbunnylove you are definitely an exception to the rule.... I would remove the last 4 letters of your user name.

As for Hun and babe can't be doing with them at all.

I'm a Yorkshire lass, I use love all the time, I'm called love all the time, in a lovely affectionate caring way. I'm v well educated, and a professional person. I'm not low or vulgar. But then again I'm not stuck up either.....

growingbytheday Tue 29-Jan-13 21:18:50

Hinny is Geordie for woman and is used by both men and women (mostly older) affectionately as also are 'bairn' (child) and 'marra' (friend). Hacky (dirty) not so much!

mumblechum1 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:22:38

I'm from the North West, but now live in the Home Counties and I sometimes call people Love just to be friendly, eg if a small kid is in my way I'll gently nudge them along and say, "excuse me love"

And I is dead posh, I is. smile

SunshineOutdoors Tue 29-Jan-13 21:23:29

Interested to hear what constitutes a 'low' person too.

TartWithACart Tue 29-Jan-13 21:38:12

Actually, I change my mind. They are both equally vile and make me want to vom only when used in a patronising way or by someone my own age/younger (why people in their early twenties insist upon calling me 'love' is unfathomable). I don't really object to being called love, hun, duck, pet, sweets, doll or babes if it's meant in a friendly way. Now that I think about it my parents call me all of the above on a regular basis confused although if DP starts I am going to LTB!

salopia Tue 29-Jan-13 22:01:47

as a nurse of 25 yrs I am delighted to be called any of these things !! bloody hell you lot, there are far worse you can be called
#

abbyfromoz Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:21

'Love' is patronising. Sounds like an old aunt trying to give you a lesson on life. Hun is fine... It's a 'non' word.

roastednut Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:29

What bamboostalks said. I really don't mind any of them. I can't really understand why people get irritated by it.

ImperialBlether Tue 29-Jan-13 22:31:23

I had a twelve year old say, "Excuse me, love" the other day.

LouMae Tue 29-Jan-13 22:34:42

Doesn't offend me at all. Very commonplace in Lancashire, particularly from bus drivers! I think it's quite nice and shows the person is down to earth and not up their own arse.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 29-Jan-13 22:46:10

Isn't it all about intent thought?

If someone is calling you sonething in an attempt to patronise it doesn't matter whether its hun or love, it's just them being a twat.

If its a genuine term of endearment I couldn't give two shiny shites if its pet, chuck, duck or lovely, it's just nice to be nice.

doublemuvver Tue 29-Jan-13 23:34:14

I love "love" being in Yorkshire and all. Part of its dialect history, high and low. Detest "hun" and cringe when someone refers to me as such. Colleagues know not to call me it!

garageflower Tue 29-Jan-13 23:58:48

I don't really see the offence in any of these terms if they're said/meant in a nice or affectionate way. I say 'babe' and 'love' to my close mates and I'm not vulgar or patronising. I don't say 'hon' but that's because I just don't, not because I find it annoying. Isn't the meaning behind the word more important? I don't know anyone that uses those words to be patronising.

RafflesWay Tue 29-Jan-13 23:59:58

Gordon Bennet - some of you are SOOO easily offended. Love in Yorkshire is very warm as is Pet in Tyneside and then there is somewhere else where older folks use "Meduck" If anyone uses these to me I most definitely take it in the spirit it is meant. Patronising? Words fail me but perhaps it's another generational thing!

LouMae Wed 30-Jan-13 00:04:50

I don't think it is generational raffles I think it's regional.

RafflesWay Wed 30-Jan-13 00:26:07

Cheers for that Lou but I never heard of any Southerners being "Offended" by
Such things in the 60's and 70's but then I think we had bigger things to worry about back then and people weren't so mean spirited. So glad I grew up in a more tolerant and considerate time.

So am I still allowed to say "sweetie" and "sweetheart" or will you all have me thrown off MN? grin

loofet Wed 30-Jan-13 08:15:27

I think 'love' can be quite cocky actually. I'm just thinking of someone going 'Alright love, calm down' in a cocky tone.

I hate all pet names personally and I am a Northerner where you're either a love or a mate, not really gender assigned either. They all get my goat.

Moistenedbint Wed 30-Jan-13 08:50:02

Can't abide "hen" ... Particularly when it's regurgitated by middle-class people trying to enhance their non-existent working-class street cred.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now