Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that "love" is just as bad as "hun"?

(88 Posts)

I see posters on here calling each other love all the time now and I really cant stand it.

Why? Surely its just as bad as hun?

MiniTheMinx Tue 29-Jan-13 20:10:16

I hate all of them, we use Darrrrrrling in this house.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 29-Jan-13 20:11:04

I like love, it's very traditionally British. Hun isn't, nor is babe.
grin at low people.

NorksofPlenty Tue 29-Jan-13 20:12:53

Wtaf are "low people"?! Horribly superior and totally inaccurate Bunny. Another Northerner here and I've never heard love used in a derogatory way, it's just something we say to each other at the end of a sentance. It's a pleasantry and I can't see any harm in it

InNeedOfBrandy Tue 29-Jan-13 20:17:34

I really like being called lovey, love or hun or B or bubs or babe or any term of endearment really.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 29-Jan-13 20:21:32

Low people live in the Netherlands.

Pourquoimoi Tue 29-Jan-13 20:23:27

YANBU, but I hate the rise of hun everywhere, even from people you'd really not expect it from. Yuk!

LesBOFerables Tue 29-Jan-13 20:24:42

'Love' is a traditional term of endearment or friendliness in the North, and sounds more authentic to my ears than 'hun', which linguistically-speaking has only been here five minutes and sounds a bit affected and fake to me.

Hulababy Tue 29-Jan-13 20:28:21

I am from/in Yorkshire.
Love is used by people from ALL classes from what I can gather - often slightly older people ime, although also by people in shops a fair bit too.
Most definitely not used as a put down or by "low people" ime - though not altogether what we mean by "low people" if I am honest.

Hulababy Tue 29-Jan-13 20:29:45

I don't like hun at all though - not even a full word, just an abbreviation of honey, another word I'm not really a fan off. Don't like babe either.

Love is like chuck (sp?), mate, etc.

mrsbunnylove Tue 29-Jan-13 20:29:49

tell you what - you look out for how 'love' is used in future. you'll see i'm right.

mrsbunnylove Tue 29-Jan-13 20:30:23

and i'm mrs bunny, love, so i know... grin

purpleloosestrife Tue 29-Jan-13 20:30:45

sod the hon/hun/love debate ...I really want to know who these low people are?

I rather think I'd like to be one! grin

DawnOfTheDee Tue 29-Jan-13 20:33:23

I use love. As does my DH. I am 5'6". DH is 6'1". Neither of us are low. I even try to avoid bending down unless I really really have to. <blows a low raspberry>

usualsuspect Tue 29-Jan-13 20:35:32

You do talk bollocks sometimes,mrsbunnylove.

Hissy Tue 29-Jan-13 20:36:19

No love, NOTHING is quite as bad as hun.

<shudders>

#honoraryNortherner

usualsuspect Tue 29-Jan-13 20:37:03

I use 'duck' not sure how low that makes me.

DawnOfTheDee Tue 29-Jan-13 20:39:00

Lower than hen but not as low as chuck, I reckon usualsuspect

growingbytheday Tue 29-Jan-13 20:39:52

I'm from the North East (Newcastle) 'love' is used as a term of endearment or comfort or jusy an easy way to show a friendly face to strangers you may encounter. I consider those who pass judement i.e. 'low' on others, to be overly obsessed with class and sadly lacking in the niceties which demonstrate it. Hinny is also used here, but mainly by older people-I like that too so I must be chewing dirt right now! grin

HollyBerryBush Tue 29-Jan-13 20:40:08

Duck - now that does piss me off

Mynewmoniker Tue 29-Jan-13 20:41:28

Does Jeremy Kyle sometimes say "sweep" or "sweet"? Whatever; THAT'S the worst most patronising word I've EVER heard. angry

Jinsei Tue 29-Jan-13 20:42:06

Low people? hmm Maybe you're right, love, but I'm not ashamed of my roots!

"Duck" is common around here too. I don't use it but I like being called it! grin

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 29-Jan-13 20:42:16

I never liked Hen, which is very common in Scotland, though I like Pet, which is used a lot in the Highlands.

bamboostalks Tue 29-Jan-13 20:42:23

Does it really matter? It's nearly always a term of endearment, not intended to offend. I like them all if they are well meant which they usually are.

Jinsei Tue 29-Jan-13 20:45:10

My mum used to say "pet", I like that too.

Have never heard anyone use "hen" but both of my parents used to call me "chick". smile

EmpressMaud Tue 29-Jan-13 20:45:36

I don't mind 'love' and it's usually the older (and northern) generation who use it, at least that I've found. 'Luv' on the other hand...

I've said on another thread that I really dislike 'hun' (however you spell it) and would make instant judgements about the user.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now