Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that "love" is just as bad as "hun"?

(88 Posts)

I see posters on here calling each other love all the time now and I really cant stand it.

Why? Surely its just as bad as hun?

TartWithACart Tue 29-Jan-13 19:28:20

Both are equally annoying and make me want to vomit in my slippers.

E320 Tue 29-Jan-13 19:30:19

Patronising - in both cases.

beautyfades Tue 29-Jan-13 19:39:27

its doesn't bother me at all luv ;) .

Peevish Tue 29-Jan-13 19:42:20

No, 'luv' would be just as dopily illiterate as 'hun'.

'Love' might be vomit-inducing, but at least gets properly spelled slightly more often.

SunshineOutdoors Tue 29-Jan-13 19:45:59

In Yorkshire 'love' is just a bit like saying 'mate' or 'pal'. Nothing sickly sweet about it. Not on a par with 'hon' here at all.

I personally don't like 'babe', although having said that I wouldn't actually mind being called that, because these things tend to be said in an affectionate, well-meaning way, not anything nasty.

SunshineOutdoors Tue 29-Jan-13 19:48:14

I think the 'hun' thing is just because it's associated with posts from another forum, not actually about the word itself (although I could be wrong). Should be 'hon' though.

andtheycalleditbunnylove Tue 29-Jan-13 19:50:01

'love' is horrible, low and vulgar.

'hun' is pretentious, meaningless nonesense.

'babe' is just pathetic.

call me mrs. mrs bunnylove with be fine.

MerylStrop Tue 29-Jan-13 19:51:38

Love can be a put down esp male builder to female householder
But in the North, men call each other love, esp in Yorks. It's just normal and affectionate
Hun I always think of as a way of being warm to internet strangers, never hear it said in real life. Maybe it's been turned on its head to be patronising, but I only ever see it liberally sprinkled through posts on here or fb about 5 times per sentence

Jinsei Tue 29-Jan-13 19:54:23

I hate "hun" or "babe". They both sound horribly false and contrived to me. On the other hand, I have no qualms about "love".

Disclaimer: I have a northern mother.

ModernToss Tue 29-Jan-13 19:54:31

'Love' is perfectly standard in the north of England, and is not a class signifier at all. It certainly isn't 'horrible, low and vulgar'. It is also immeasurably better than 'hun' or 'babe'.

P.S. Always better to spell words correctly when you're chucking around the pejoratives, bunnylove.

Mynewmoniker Tue 29-Jan-13 19:55:45

I don't mind 'Love'; it's warm and northern.

'Hon' seems American and spikey.

IYKWIM blush

mrsbunnylove Tue 29-Jan-13 19:56:54

excuse me, but i'm northern born and raised, and still resident. i assure you that 'love' is only used by low people or as a put-down.

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 29-Jan-13 19:57:21

I don't mind "love." It's probably non-U usage, but so what?

I tend to call women I don't know "Ma'am" or "Miss" but that's because I'm American. For all I know, I sound like an idiot. I don't mean anything by it. I'm just addressing a stranger as politely as I know how.

" i assure you that 'love' is only used by low people"
WTF confused?

deleted203 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:00:49

I'm with moniker and modern. Hon seems American to me, 'babe' is a bit Essex-ey in my head, although I don't know if that's the case? 'Love' is very common round here and I'm used to being called it lots of times a day by perfect strangers. Newsagent, etc will always say 'there you go, love' as opposed to 'madam'.

The other one round here is 'duck' which I don't mind. I really dislike being called 'dear' though which strikes me as very patronising. (Overtones of 'calm down, dear'). Perhaps it depends on where you are regionally.

deleted203 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:02:12

WTF? Well I'm Northern born and raised and still living here and I would completely disagree that 'love' is only used by low people OR as a put down!

MerylStrop Tue 29-Jan-13 20:03:04

sorry bunny (are you sockpuppeting by the way, sweetie?) but you are wrong about that

mrsbunnylove Tue 29-Jan-13 20:04:29

sorry, sweaty (sp?) but i'm not. you just know the wrong people.

and i can change my name, can't i? i'm always recognisable. a theme, you know.

Love is used a lot in NI.

I still dont like it though. Maybe it just feels more like a patronising or bitchy thing to say to me because thats often how its used in NI woman to woman.

Man to woman isnt as bitchy, more like a respectful "mate".

I use love, and lovely all the time. Its because i'm awful with names, and I quite like it.

spanky2 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:07:00

Imo babe is the same as calling the love of your life chav .grin

Mynewmoniker Tue 29-Jan-13 20:08:01

" i assure you that 'love' is only used by low people"
WTF ? from me aswell......love!

AwkwardSquad Tue 29-Jan-13 20:08:28

'Love' is perfectly standard in the north of England, and is not a class signifier at all. It certainly isn't 'horrible, low and vulgar'. It is also immeasurably better than 'hun' or 'babe'.

Exactly. It's standard in the north. Also 'pet' in the north east. Nothing wrong with either. Never had them used to me as a 'put down' and if by 'low' you mean ordinary people getting on with their day to day lives and trying to just connect with each other to smooth over the little bumps, then you can bloody well count me as 'low' and proud of it. Sheesh.

BridgetBidet Tue 29-Jan-13 20:09:01

I lived in London and moved to Sheffield. Love is very rude and patronising in London but is pleasant and affectionate in Sheffield.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now