Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wonder if people ever say that stuff in rl?

(61 Posts)
threesocksmorgan Tue 29-Jan-13 10:48:06

just lurked on a thread where there are a lot of bigoted posts.
made me wonder if people are so quick to say stuff that is so vile in rl.
as in racism/disablist stuff. ir is it just on the internet that they do it

Catchingmockingbirds Tue 29-Jan-13 17:50:36

Haha, Cameron! grin

Like 'spastic' and 'mongo', it's still used in a derogatory and offensive fashion.

WilsonFrickett Tue 29-Jan-13 17:55:06

Apologies, I didn't know that or use it with that intent.

threesocksmorgan Tue 29-Jan-13 21:34:57

I have been horrified by some stuff I have seen on mn over the last couple of days, I still find it hard to grasp that people can be so vile.....then I realise they have been brainwashed.
they are so dense they hear cameron and his hate speech and fall for it.
the knock on affect is that then believe that disabled people should all act in a certain way, as scameron says they should.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 29-Jan-13 21:36:14

I would imagine they do. These people think there is nothing wrong with what they're saying remember.

Sad but true.

Catchingmockingbirds Tue 29-Jan-13 21:52:31

Did anyone see the panorama programme last night on employment support allowance and helping those with disabilities back into work?there was an ex staff member on who said DWP staff used the term 'LTB's' to describe those on the scheme.

LTB's apparently stands for lying thieving bastards shock

Sunnywithshowers Tue 29-Jan-13 23:16:50

YANBU at all

Peachy Thu 31-Jan-13 16:10:36

Fan- nobody else ever (dared?) say it but I get a distinct impression giving parents the impression that you think they are making it up is a way professionals like to control us.

And sometimes it's damn stupidity.

Last few weeks I have been warning school that ds4 is phobic of the wind. Monday he went in crying, I explained that it was the wind. They hmphed and said it was something else.

yesterday he came home with a label attached to his jumper that he'd cried every playtime as he seemed scared of the wind.

No really? And you just sent him out to play anyway (school is borderd by long areas of field and then hills so very bad)

Mia4 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:16:56

Online is worse for the most part, I think, especially when people feel confident they have some measure of anonymity. Then again on the brighter side that same anonymity allows others to feel they can fully open up and look for support.

I know several people who are worse online, liking stupid racist and homophobic stuff, but some who are reflected well in their posts and serve as a good warning for me. The worse was a friend's ex who liked something that said something akin to 'if you get so drunk you don't know what you are doing don't expect to meet a nice guy' to which he added at the bottom 'I don't know i think i'm a nice guy but if she's fucked enough i can drag her back to mine!' He had no idea why half his facebook told him he was a skeevey bastard.

And he was a disgusting POS, at a party he met the younger sister of one of his (then) gf's workmates and remarked lewdly about her breasts and arse. When it was pointed out she was only 14 he laughed and said 'well she's legal somewhere.'

On another note a friend fbed about how 'disgusted she was' to see a teacher out down the pub (not local to us, but 50 miles away!) and see her getting drunk and flirting. Luckily teacher had no idea she was there. Said friend then said how wrong it was and what a bad image to which it was pointed out to her that a) she wasn't in her local area, b) she was entitled to a life c) she was in a pub late at night where none of her charges would be and d) my friend 'a parent and once a nursery nurse and nanny' had been far far drunker on nights we'd been out and had snogged many a person in the local cab office and chippy after said night! She then deleted the status and said added one which said 'thanks to everyone who kicked me n my judgey pants, they are now off and i'm chilling out'.

Catchingmockingbirds Thu 31-Jan-13 17:19:29

peachy my son is the same with the wind. Have you found anything that reduces your DS's distress?

catching and peachy could it because of the noise it makes? DS2 is sound sensitive, and can hear things that I can't (buzzing lights, wind whistling through gaps in doors etc)

If so, would your lads tolerate ear muffs/protectors when out and about?

Catchingmockingbirds Fri 01-Feb-13 22:34:36

It's the feeling of the wind hitting his face that he hates who, he still gets stressed when I put a hat on him that covers his ears. He's got ear protectors so I may give it a try though to try and rule it out, thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now